Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Slowhawk/MA State Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slowhawk/MA State Inspection

Hi guys...I am coming to a very serious and sad crossroads. I may be moving to Mass for work and the cost of living is just much higher than in Maine. The places I can afford will only house 1 vehicle; since I have one POS Hyundai Elantra and my SOM Formula 6 speed the Formula may have to go (I couldn't let it sit around in storage). If I am able to keep the Formula, how is state inspection in Mass? Does Slowhawk do state inspections? I have the Kooks 1 7/8 race headers, or/X and their true dual system. Would I need some hi-flow cats in Mass? No cam (yet) but that was planned for this summer.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My race car passes the plug in test.

No worries.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

So in MA they just plug you into the computer? I have a frost tune, so no engine lights, I guess I would be fine?
Old 03-27-2013, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

I have found there is no rhyme or reason to inspections in MA. Some shops look for the emissions components and will fail you on a visual, some will not. Some will do the safety inspections to a T and some will be more lax. Some will fail you for sound, some will not.

All will plug in if it's required and if you fail there, that's all she wrote unless they 'sell' you the sticker which is shady as hell.

Good luck; I know the shop I use does the full inspection, does not care about sound, and if I legit pass they don't bust my *****. That's the way it should be in my opinion.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a frost tune, so no engine lights, I guess I would be fine?
Depends if the frost tune just deleted the lights or actually shut them off correctly.

One way simply hides the lights but in the background still showup and make the car fail readiness test. The correct way shuts off the code and makes the readiness tests pass inspection.

You'll need someone with scanner to tell you if you can pass or not.

All will plug in if it's required and if you fail there, that's all she wrote unless they 'sell' you the sticker which is shady as hell.
What do you mean by that? Are you saying that if you fail the plug in test then that's it, the only way to get a sticker is to cheat the system by getting it illegaly?
Old 03-27-2013, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
My race car passes the plug in test.

No worries.
LMAO thats awesome.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
Hi guys...I am coming to a very serious and sad crossroads. I may be moving to Mass for work and the cost of living is just much higher than in Maine.
Damn dude, why would you move here from Maine? If it weren't for my job, I'd be living up that way.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What town in Mass? Mass is visual and plug in. Where I go they never do the visual.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

yeah what part of Mass you looking to work in Timmy ?

your in York/Kittery area arent you ? that was the 1/2 way point for me when I commuted from Maine to Mass 6 days a week from 05-2010 - Maine cost of living/ Mass pay just a lot of gas and tolls , maybe find someone with a room you can stay a couple nights a week to cut down the commute down to a few days ? I have a friend thats done that for over 10 years now...
Old 03-31-2013, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

I would say renew your reg and ride on that until you need to renew down here. A lot of shops I have used in the past are just pretty much obd2 plug in and a quick visual, basics like lights, horn, wipers. Last place I went to tried to jack the car up to do an undercarriage inspection and I gave them hell for trying to lift it in the wrong spot. Of course they failed me for a b/s tire tread too low. Went back a week later with same tires and different inspector and passed.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redtan
What do you mean by that? Are you saying that if you fail the plug in test then that's it, the only way to get a sticker is to cheat the system by getting it illegaly?
Pretty much......I'm having issues right now, on a CEL on a car that is being thrown by the AC compressor clutch. Stock car with an intake and GMPP exhaust. Guy feels bad for busting my chops on it but that's the way the system works.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sleeperZ96BT
Pretty much......I'm having issues right now, on a CEL on a car that is being thrown by the AC compressor clutch. Stock car with an intake and GMPP exhaust. Guy feels bad for busting my chops on it but that's the way the system works.
temporarily install an ac delete pulley get your sticker put it back on before it gets warm
Old 04-01-2013, 07:49 PM
TECH Junkie

I've never heard of that in my life in Mass and I've been passing inspection on modified cars in the state for 10 years.

Heck just this year I went in on Feb 28th to the inspection station just to get a rejected sticker due to a CEL so I can continue driving for another 2 months because I'm lazy to fix the CEL. Once I do and go within the 2 month period, all it is a simple re-test only looking at the previously failed portion...if it's good you pass. I should be in and out of the testing facility in under 10 minutes.

Idk where you're getting the idea that if you fail once it's over and you can't legally pass again.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
So in MA they just plug you into the computer? I have a frost tune, so no engine lights, I guess I would be fine?
That's correct. No sniffers/dyno anymore. Your car should pass fine.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Just went and got my sticker tonight. First place the guy was cool and basically all I heard was the car start and just as quickly it was shut off. He comes in and says he can't do it, exhaust was just too loud, Flowmaster cat back lol. At least he was cool and told me before failing me for the loud exhaust. He loved the car immensely, but couldn't take the chance. Also said they've been bagged 2x already and pointed me towards a place that was a lot more relaxed. Went there and no issues at all. Think the inspector was having fun with it pulling it into and out of the shop bay lol.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigMac76
Just went and got my sticker tonight. First place the guy was cool and basically all I heard was the car start and just as quickly it was shut off. He comes in and says he can't do it, exhaust was just too loud, Flowmaster cat back lol. At least he was cool and told me before failing me for the loud exhaust. He loved the car immensely, but couldn't take the chance. Also said they've been bagged 2x already and pointed me towards a place that was a lot more relaxed. Went there and no issues at all. Think the inspector was having fun with it pulling it into and out of the shop bay lol.
I don't suppose he would love my LTs, ORX and Kooks duals...sounds like in Maine...you need to find the right shop.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Yep... Kooks LT's, tsp true duals, Dynomax Race bullets dumped before the axle, H/C/I 408ci and a blower... No problems here.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redtan
I've never heard of that in my life in Mass and I've been passing inspection on modified cars in the state for 10 years.

Heck just this year I went in on Feb 28th to the inspection station just to get a rejected sticker due to a CEL so I can continue driving for another 2 months because I'm lazy to fix the CEL. Once I do and go within the 2 month period, all it is a simple re-test only looking at the previously failed portion...if it's good you pass. I should be in and out of the testing facility in under 10 minutes.

Idk where you're getting the idea that if you fail once it's over and you can't legally pass again.
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. If you can't pass the plug in you can't get your sticker; that is truth. I never said one and done and you are out and have to buy one in a shady fashion. You can try as often and as many times as you like; it can just start costing you money for retests if you don't pass. If you come back with no CEL and the pcm has completed its requisite number of cycles to clear it out, you are fine. I pass all the time on modified cars as well.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:59 AM
TECH Junkie

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. If you can't pass the plug in you can't get your sticker; that is truth. I never said one and done and you are out and have to buy one in a shady fashion.
Ah ok, my mistake.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:00 PM
TECH Resident

does anyone know a place in RI. My inspection is over due since 7/12. mods in sig. it would be a huge deal.

Quick Reply: Slowhawk/MA State Inspection