Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Don and the crew at slowhawk

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine build by Don at Slowhawk Performance

I started about 5 years ago on my 02 Camaro Convertible. Ive done everything accept power adder to the motor. From an awesome Black paint job with ghosted 35th Anniversary Finish Line racing stripes in Harley Davidson Rattlesnake that you can only see in the sunlight in multiple colors. I had the rear center exhaust powder coated black and the Trim molded into the bumper to look like all one piece. 20 Tinted windows, all lights sanded and spray tinted and topped it off with one off Savini SV31 High offset Brushed 19" 245X40 front and 295X30 rear. The Mcleod RXT Twin Disk Clutch, 390 Rear end gears. Flowmaster and High flow Cat.

So now I have been going back and forth on what left to do with the motor. It just doesn't have enough power. I was entertaining the thought of Hawks Third Generations F-body conversion of M112 S/C Kit for the LS1 with the 1/2" K member lowering to accommodate. Cool for my stock LS1, looks good with 6-8 psi boost and about 80-100 HP Maybe a little more with a cam change. $7K or more without installation, tuning fuel pumps, ect. More like 10K. At the end of all that, I'm still stuck with my stock bottom end, heads ect.. If something goes I'm screwed!! No where to go but start over.

So I was fortunate to get the name of Don at Slowhawk Performance through a friend who said he is the best LS Builder/Tuner around. So I gave him a call and only after a few minutes it was clear he was very knowledgeable and told me some things about my car that I had no idea I needed. I had him give a quote for a new motor S/C ready for in the future. He got back to me within a couple of days with a quote for an ERL 416 Blower Spec Shortblock, PRC 237cc CNC Heads, Blower CAM, Performance Lifters, Oil Pump, water pump, 90Lbs Fuel Injectors ect.. that will be at about 480 RWHP 460Tq. What impressed me was that I kept saying to him: do I need an intake? Do I need this? Do I need that? And he would just say if its for the looks and you want to spend more money, fine but its a waist and you wont get more power. Your intake is just as good. So he looked out for my pocket. I'm not going to say how much because every application is different, but the price he gave me was just a little more than I would have spent doing it all myself and that includes new motor built, my motor removal, , new motor installation, tuning everything!!

Anyway, I sent him the deposit and I'm waiting for my block to come. It is 2 months out. Mean time, I asked for the quote on the S/C install. He got back to me with a great proposal for a Procharger D1 at around 14psi Boost with fully fabricated tubing because the kits are **** and come out to close to the road. Dual Fuel Pumps, one of which is boost triggered, new fuel lines, Methanol Injection also Boost triggered installed. Cost was just over what I would pay for the S/C kit alone with nothing else. A no brainer choice. When it is all done it will make 750RWHP. Now thats Power!! The same set up that you can see on the corvette on his site that makes 850RWHP. I cant wait, really excited. THANK YOU DON!!

I will let you know how it goes and will post some pics and video when I can
Old 03-31-2014, 06:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the words. We are now just in the waiting part. Soon it will be a beast.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:59 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good stuff. Mines still the same and runs mint! Big thanks to Don for helping me chase an unmetered air leak/high idle. Gotta love it!

Quick Reply: Don and the crew at slowhawk