Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Thank you Slowhawk Performance

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thank you Slowhawk Performance

Just wanted to give props to Don & the crew at Slowhawk Performance. Last week my '09 G8 GT went in for a DOD Delete/Cam Swap, Yank Converter, and all other supporting mods. The goal was to keep the car driveable (it's my DD,) but to make it more fun

Don speced out a nice 227/231 cam for the car, and despite being pretty well slammed this time of year, they had the car 100% ready in a week! I've always wanted my car to have this set up and now it finally does. And it's a good thing I pulled the trigger because they found damage on the stock cam when they pulled it out of the motor (see attached picture.)

This is my first cammed/stall converter experience of any kind. It's as fun as my 03 Cobra was, maybe even more fun, but the drivability is FAR better, and I've actually changed my mind about manuals. Torque converters are cool For a daily driven street car, this is the way to go for me. And it's funny watching reactions from people when you pull up to a light or into a gas station lol. I think I might have to take it up to NH and do some passes with it, cause I've never done that before either!

The car made 400/375 which is a 53 hp gain over last year when Don tuned my car after I installed headers/exhaust & intake. Hey, I broke the 400 barrier on his dyno! Lol. The car drives great and the transmission temp seems to be staying where it should be. I haven't even done a hard hit from a dead stop with it yet. It already has traction problems as is! lol

I love the car guys. Thank you again, I will take good care of it.
Attached Thumbnails Thank you Slowhawk Performance-stock-cam.jpg  

Last edited by LSnights09; 02-07-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LSnights09
Just wanted to give props to Don & the crew at Slowhawk Performance. Last week my '09 G8 GT went in for a DOD Delete/Cam Swap, Yank Converter, and all other supporting mods. The goal was to keep the car driveable (it's my DD,) but to make it more fun

Don speced out a nice 227/231 cam for the car, and despite being pretty well slammed this time of year, they had the car 100% ready in a week! I've always wanted my car to have this set up and now it finally does. And it's a good thing I pulled the trigger because they found damage on the stock cam when they pulled it out of the motor (see attached picture.)

This is my first cammed/stall converter experience of any kind. It's as fun as my 03 Cobra was, maybe even more fun, but the drivability is FAR better, and I've actually changed my mind about manuals. Torque converters are cool For a daily driven street car, this is the way to go for me. And it's funny watching reactions from people when you pull up to a light or into a gas station lol. I think I might have to take it up to NH and do some passes with it, cause I've never done that before either!

The car made 400/375 which is a 53 hp gain over last year when Don tuned my car after I installed headers/exhaust & intake. Hey, I broke the 400 barrier on his dyno! Lol. The car drives great and the transmission temp seems to be staying where it should be. I haven't even done a hard hit from a dead stop with it yet. It already has traction problems as is! lol

I love the car guys. Thank you again, I will take good care of it.

For everyone, here is a video starting the car from a cold start. Enjoy!
Sounds great. Good numbers
Old 05-30-2013, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds pretty good

What kind of exhaust is that?
Old 05-30-2013, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That thing really sounds mean. I bet you get all sorts of looks in traffic haha.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

So you are getting used to a stall and cam at the same time? Thats great I love it lol
Old 05-31-2013, 04:33 AM
Teching In

Sounds killer, what exhaust?
Old 05-31-2013, 07:26 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the props. Car came out very nice and definitely screws now for a daily driver.

Enjoy.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds good, having a converter is very fun lol.

Whats up with that stock cam? is that the cause of the DOD that people talk about? im not too knowlegeable on g8's
Old 05-31-2013, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chevy94c
Sounds pretty good

What kind of exhaust is that?
Originally Posted by senicalj4579
So you are getting used to a stall and cam at the same time? Thats great I love it lol
Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Thanks for the props. Car came out very nice and definitely screws now for a daily driver.

Enjoy.
Originally Posted by mjs1012
Sounds good, having a converter is very fun lol.

Whats up with that stock cam? is that the cause of the DOD that people talk about? im not too knowlegeable on g8's
Thank you everyone. The exhaust is Kooks longtubes mated to a Solo Performance system, with cats. Solo Performance is a pretty small vendor, but they make excellent systems for the G8s and everything bolted up perfectly with no fabrication needed.

Yes, I am getting used to the cam & converter well, I love the set up. It's serious when you need it to be, I actually took a C5 with it no problem at a light today! But at the same time my mother can borrow it to do errands all afternoon. (She used to do that with my 03 Cobra...lol.)

The stock cam is designed for DOD. I have had two lifters fail at 20k miles (at 64k currently) and all were replaced under warranty, but not the cam. I think this one was a turned lifter though. Either way, I am glad to have DOD out of the car.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:54 AM
12 Second Club

I actually took a C5 with it no problem at a light today!
Can't fairly compare a "slightly built", or even stock LS3 to an LS1.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:07 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ButchN
Can't fairly compare a "slightly built", or even stock LS3 to an LS1.
Yes you can because he is a stalled,cam LS2. The correct stall makes up for a good lack of hp.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:17 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Yes you can because he is a stalled,cam LS2. The correct stall makes up for a good lack of hp.
Hell yeah, even when my car was bolton stall only it would beat up on cars with more power from a dig or slow roll. A higher speed is a little different though
Old 06-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
\A higher speed is a little different though
When does that ever happen though? Lol.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:40 PM
10 Second Club

When does that ever happen though? Lol.
Is that a real question? I plead the 5th
Old 06-03-2013, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

I'll have to keep my eyes open for it, where one cape are ya? I'm in dennis.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dkota1968
I'll have to keep my eyes open for it, where one cape are ya? I'm in dennis.
Bourne. I'm there pretty much every weekend. I have a place in Norwood since my job is in Watertown. Wish I could take my job and move it to the Cape.

Quick Reply: Thank you Slowhawk Performance