Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

ZL1 Wrecked By Dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can read the latest update here. It doesn't look good for the owner unless he wins in court.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...23#post7320923
Old 01-09-2014, 05:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just read that linked post ^ the thought I have is if several members were to inquire about cars they have for sale over the next few weeks and when the salesman follows up (which they should) say I am no longer interested in doing business with your dealership- after I "Googled" your dealership and found stories online that your employees take cars for joyrides and wreck them then you jerk the customer around , I dont want that happening to me.... fear of losing business /money would be the best way to get their attention
Old 01-09-2014, 05:51 PM
Teching In

This situation just makes me sick. Hopefully the dealership gets nailed for this.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

Story made main stream news now, ought to get interesting for that dealership...

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...170136602.html
Old 01-10-2014, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kfen20
Story made main stream news now, ought to get interesting for that dealership...

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...170136602.html
just saw it on yahoo and came in here to see if the link was posted.

how much money does a dealership spend on advertising ? is there a big enough advertising budget around to counter a negative NATIONAL news story ?? lol they are now getting what they deserve....
Old 01-10-2014, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not only has it been on Yahoo now, but it is on Autoblog and Jalopnik

Made this for the lolz

Last edited by LS-ONE_DAY; 01-10-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

I hate to say it for some of the employees sake at that dealer....but I hope local customers see this and dont give them business.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Why would the dealer care? When you drop your car off at any dealer YOU assume the risk. If you read the fine print it states that they are going to driving your car on YOUR insurance. That's why If I have to go to a dealer or any repair place I make them write on the repair no driving the car. If it needs a road test then I drive it or I go someplace else.

I had one dealer challenge me on this so I simply told them I'd go someplace else and walked out.

Back on the 1970's I worked at a Chevy dealer as a "TECH" <what a bunch of BS. I was a young dumbass that fucked up peoples cars! I seen so much crap happen while working there NOONE will ever drive my cars alone.

I can tell you story after story and usually the customer took it up the rear.

I'll tell you a few......almost new TA with came in for a bucking problem. I changed the plugs and "TEST DROVE" it<beat the crap out of it. I over heated the front rotors and ruined the brake lining because I was going over 100mph in SOME ELSES car and had to stop fast. The customer took it up the azz on this one and had to pay to fix the brakes.

Brand new corvette comes in for oil change, "TECH"<dumb azz werkin for next to nothing takes corvette out for joy ride and LOSSES it doing a burn out. Knocks down row of mail boxes and damages car badly....YEP YOU GUESSED IT customer takes another azz shot.

I got lots of stories because the BS never ends at a dealership.
Its not the Dealerships or Techs..its people like YOU!!. I worked as a Tech and know many who have. You have to be professional..PERIOd.

It is not your car and it should be treated with respect. If I ever saw a tech abusing a car as a manager.. I reported it, there is no need for that.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A few years back I dropped my 02 SS M6 convertible off at a dealership for a safety recall. When I was going home for lunch I saw it parked in front of a local bar. I went in and there was a guy in the dealership mechanics uniform with a shot and a beer in front of him. I got my spare keys got my car and took it home. By 5pm I hadn't heard from the dealership so I call and asked if my car was ready. They said no they were waiting for a part and to call back the next day. The next day I got the same story. The day after that I pulled into the service area with my Camaro. Service manager when ballistic screaming and yelling at me. He threatened to have me arrested for steeling the car. When I told him I had taken it from the bar to prevent it from being driven by someone under the influence he said that it had been on a test drive. He never would admit the dealership had done anything wrong even though they never informed me the car was missing, or that the mechanic was wrong for drinking. Or why the car needed to be test driven for a seatbelt issue that had not been fixed yet.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss performance
A few years back I dropped my 02 SS M6 convertible off at a dealership for a safety recall. When I was going home for lunch I saw it parked in front of a local bar. I went in and there was a guy in the dealership mechanics uniform with a shot and a beer in front of him. I got my spare keys got my car and took it home. By 5pm I hadn't heard from the dealership so I call and asked if my car was ready. They said no they were waiting for a part and to call back the next day. The next day I got the same story. The day after that I pulled into the service area with my Camaro. Service manager when ballistic screaming and yelling at me. He threatened to have me arrested for steeling the car. When I told him I had taken it from the bar to prevent it from being driven by someone under the influence he said that it had been on a test drive. He never would admit the dealership had done anything wrong even though they never informed me the car was missing, or that the mechanic was wrong for drinking. Or why the car needed to be test driven for a seatbelt issue that had not been fixed yet.
Damn I would have called the cops and reported it stolen and sat there and waited for them.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

I just saw this on Camaro5. Hopefully John gets things settled next week.

(For the record, the car was a TWO-OWNER car, not a one-owner car like the dealer told us. The dealer NEVER mentioned the front end damage--my wife found that out on her own. WE paid $55 for the CarFax--the dealer never offered one. The dealer also did not mention that the car had aftermarket tinted windows, aftermarket emblems, and NO DOCUMENTATION. The car just looked like it had been run hard and put away wet. My 10K tires still had over 60% tire life remaining. The so-called replacement needed new tires at 13K miles.

If the dealer had bothered to sit down with us and offer a few options in cars, maybe we would feel differently. But THEY chose the car (a trade-in) that THEY wanted us to BUY from them. Even $4000 (feel good money) was not important to us. We would have gladly PURCHASED an equivalent replacement with no "feel good" money. Money is not everything...

At any rate, a retired GM exec called me today to let me know that GM IS involved now. It is our understanding that the matter will be resolved to our satisfaction next week. And GM will make sure that we are treated fairly and equitably.

If anyone happens to call First State Chevrolet, the receptionist is named Norma. She is a real sweetheart and does not deserve to be disrespected, so PLEASE do not give her a hard time.

Thanks,
John)

Last edited by 2002ss335; 01-11-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I heard about it from his son-in-law yeserday morning, great news!
Old 01-13-2014, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

The only thing that would make this story perfect would be if the dealership promoted the guy who stole and totaled the car. I mean, really? These jerks are nickle and diming these poor people and offering them replacement cars with more miles, multiple owners, and involved in accidents. What a joke! They should have done the right thing and replaced the car with a new one. It would have put a lid on the fire and not caused the destruction of their entire reputation. Oh well, they deserve it. Hope they're ready to start selling used Toyotas and Hondas, because their franchise is going bye bye.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LSCha0s
Its not the Dealerships or Techs..its people like YOU!!. I worked as a Tech and know many who have. You have to be professional..PERIOd.

It is not your car and it should be treated with respect. If I ever saw a tech abusing a car as a manager.. I reported it, there is no need for that.
Yeah BS, they ALL do it. Every guy I worked next to did it and
I was a GM "TECH"<****** joke for 10 years.............

30 years later I drop off my wifes TA car at the same dealer I worked at because it was pinging. Tech took it out and RUINED the frt rotors from overheating then driving the **** out of the car. This was their top guy and rated number 1 tech out of 600 in the country. H also stated even though the fuel trims were at +10% the was nothing wrong with it. The car still pinged badly, after arguing back and forth getting no where I took it to another local shop where they found the fuel filter was completely blocked!

BUT it was too late for number 7 cylinder....it ruined the piston from running too lean and the tech running the **** out it. The frt rotors were brand new 2 days before I dropped it off at the dealer and when I went back they were blue and cracked in 5 places!

**** dealers! They hire the bottom of the barrel! Good techs go into business for themselves and make real money. GM techs make sheet!

The new car carrier guys used to take the new z28's and corvettes and do burn outs in frt of our service dept! And that aint BS. The one time a customer was driving by and saw his new Camaro coming off the new car carrier so it stopped in quick to see it. The driver getting off the carrier did a HUGE burn out after getting off the trailer. The owner never came back for it. The dealership owner filed a complaint with the car carrier company but it still happened all the time.

Last edited by RockinWs6; 01-13-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

BUT it was too late for number 7 cylinder....it ruined the piston from running too lean and the tech running the **** out it. The frt rotors were brand new 2 days before I dropped it off at the dealer and when I went back they were blue and cracked in 5 places!

**** dealers! They hire the bottom of the barrel! Good techs go into business for themselves and make real money. GM techs make sheet!

so 1 guy test driving a car for 2-3 maybe even 4 miles roasted #7 cylinder??
how hard do you need to drive a car to get it to ping??
rotors are known issues with these cars...that shouldnt be a suprise to you...if it didnt happen on his test drive than it would've happened to you sooner or later.

in my shop tech's dont beat customer's cars anymore than they have to for a test drive. if a customer complains about something that requires some spirited driving than its understandable. our techs respect peoples things enough not to do it. i know its not the case in every shop but its not the norm like you state either. and its definetly not the dealers fault...its essentially people like yourself that have that mindset that youre gonna enjoy this little test drive....or the customer pissed you off for some reason so you're gonna get back at him...things like that.

id be inclined to agree with LSCha0s.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

God I hate stealerships. They are just sleezy from the showroom all the way to the back.....
Old 01-20-2014, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I spoke with the owners son-in-law last night about the final resolution. This is how it is ending up working out: The car owners insurance cuts the check for $44,000. That money is "put towards" the new ZL1 that Berger is delivering to First State (Berger apparently is upgrading it also from what I was told). The difference between the value of the check and the price of the wrecked ZL1 when it was new, I can't remember what it is, between $12,000-$14,000 is being paid by First State, and Mr. Hooper will continue his monthly payments as if the situation didn't happen.

It sounds very fair to me all the way around. First State isn't out $60k in inventory but does have to pay "damages" in the amount of the difference between the insurance value and the sticker price of the 2012, John gets a new 2013 ZL1 for no more than he already spent on what he owned, but had to sacrifice the options he wanted (this new car has a sunroof which he didn't want and red is not his preferred color) and apparently Chevrolet produced more 2013's than 2012's so his new one will be less rare.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

Yeah BS, they ALL do it. Every guy I worked next to did it and
I was a GM "TECH"<****** joke for 10 years.............

30 years later I drop off my wifes TA car at the same dealer I worked at because it was pinging. Tech took it out and RUINED the frt rotors from overheating then driving the **** out of the car. This was their top guy and rated number 1 tech out of 600 in the country. H also stated even though the fuel trims were at +10% the was nothing wrong with it. The car still pinged badly, after arguing back and forth getting no where I took it to another local shop where they found the fuel filter was completely blocked!

The new car carrier guys used to take the new z28's and corvettes and do burn outs in frt of our service dept! And that aint BS. The one time a customer was driving by and saw his new Camaro coming off the new car carrier so it stopped in quick to see it. The driver getting off the carrier did a HUGE burn out after getting off the trailer. The owner never came back for it. The dealership owner filed a complaint with the car carrier company but it still happened all the time.

God your such an idiot.

You are "that guy" in every maintenance department... the old hack that thinks he knows it all and has a story for everything.

I think 99% of this **** you are saying is total BS. I've worked at a few dealerships, and NOBODY has ever done anything like the **** you've talked about.

Just shut the hell up already you dumbass.

Quick Reply: ZL1 Wrecked By Dealer!