Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Emissions and Registration

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions and Registration

I can't find definitive rules on registering vehicles after engine swaps. I live in NJ. Can anyone direct me to definite rules? I can't imagine doing a swap then being told it won't pass emissions or I can't register for some reason.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 199 Likes on 160 Posts

What year of vehicle? Many states have permanent exemptions for vehicles older than a certain number of years. The web site for the New Jersey Division of Motor Vehicles should have the answer to your question. Or simply walk in to any state testing station and ask them. They will know the rules.

Rick
Old 03-14-2020, 02:15 PM

I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee. I believe here in NJ 1995 and older do not need to be emissions tested. Next the engine I'm looking at is from a 2006 Silverado 2500HD so I don't think that works. It has to be of similar class SUV/light truck, but I can't get real answers. I'm going to an emissions referee location on Monday to try and speak to someone.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

What I have read in the past was that if the body was x-number years old and you transplanted a different engine, they went with the year of the engine for emissions testing.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:05 PM

Default From the Emissions Referee

Originally Posted by Tom01ss
What I have read in the past was that if the body was x-number years old and you transplanted a different engine, they went with the year of the engine for emissions testing.
I went to the person who would perform the emissions test. First they said the engine has to be newer. Then they said they plug into the OBDII port. If the engine is not OEM you will fail. I wonder if a Stroker is even possible.

If the vehicle is pre 1996 you can do whatever you want as it is exempt from emissions testing.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got friends and fam in NJ. Maybe I can ask around too. Can you give specifics about what you are trying to do. Model year and vehicle with the engine specs.

In VA they are pretty big buttholes too.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, I really appreciate everyone’s input. I’ll spell it out so I can give as many details as possible. It’s a component/kit car called an SL-C made by RCR. Just google it, there’s plenty of info on the site. It’s a road legal kit. As long as you build it with equipment that will pass inspection, anyway. It comes with a rolling chassis and a boatload of parts; body, interior, etc. are included but need to be assembled, etc. Engine is third party, transaxle can be third party or purchased from the kit seller. The kit can be sold with a manufacturer statement of origin (MSO).

I live in NY.

Problem: public facing NYS DMV websites state that “homebuilt” and “custom” cars may be exempt from obdII/emissions, but still must pass inspection. I’m not at all worried about inspection, these cars are registered lots of places, even California, which is pretty restrictive, so my question is very specific to New York state. The DMV sites do not spell out what defines “custom” or “homebuilt”, nor do I know how a MSO affects the process.

The point of all this is what will dictate what type of LS I end up with - a stock-ish crate motor, or a higher performance crate or DIY motor with non-“smoggable” components. It’s an expensive proposition to go with an engine either way and put things on it I don’t need, or build an engine that will never pass.

Wish it was as easy as asking an inspection location, but these guys won’t have a clue what to do with a custom car like this. They’ll just expect the engine and sensors to match whatever the OBD says.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

How does ny inspect cars?? I’m a nj inspector at a local automotive shop ad we do obd plug in to check for codes and readiness monitors. Then we do a visual inspections for cats and a few other things. Does ny do inspections the same? Also if you need any slc parts I have some from a car we did years ago
The following users liked this post:
NYLS (07-22-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 06:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Every place i have went to in ny plug in, check lights and sometimes check brakes. I have never seen them look underneath.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by gagliano7
Every place i have went to in ny plug in, check lights and sometimes check brakes. I have never seen them look underneath.
I had a tech in Delaware check underneath this year. He put a mirror under and started at the rear of the car, slowly moving forward. In an effort to save time, I said, "If you're looking for cats, they're in this general area," and pointed by the sideview mirror.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28SteveA4
How does ny inspect cars?? I’m a nj inspector at a local automotive shop ad we do obd plug in to check for codes and readiness monitors. Then we do a visual inspections for cats and a few other things. Does ny do inspections the same? Also if you need any slc parts I have some from a car we did years ago

Lol, wouldn’t happen to have the transaxle laying around, would you?
Old 07-23-2021, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Oregon has a classification called hand built replica, if you can squint and it kinda looks right they usually go thumbs up. The Lotus 7 replicas fall in here.. they end up titled as the year they resemble...

Your car looks a ton like a 917 Porsche A 1968..

Quick Reply: Emissions and Registration