Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Emissions Help - dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions Help - dead battery

Hey guys, need some ideas. Had my 02 TA in storage for a while and registration is expired for a couple years and can’t pass emissions because there’s no data on the OBDII. Need to run some drive cycles obviously, but can’t legally have it on the road with the super expired tags. DMV only grants extensions if your car is close to expiration and mine is now past it by a few years (I know, all my fault), but couldn’t give it the attention when we had 2 back to back babies here. Any ideas on how to get past the Virginia emissions test so I can get new tags?? Thanks all!
Old 08-03-2022, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 97 Likes on 86 Posts

Go to DMV and tell them the car is garaged in a different county that doesn't require emissions, you used to be able to do this online but I haven't found where to do it again in some time. Before I moved to Fauquier I lived in Fairfax and would register my car and truck in Clark, or James City County since I had buddies/family in both. But they don't ask for an address, just keep the mailing address the same. Other wise your best bet is to just drive it around and don't get caught and if you do explain the situation. One last option would be to apply for a trip permit and drive around on it, you shouldn't need much to get it to pass monitors.
The following users liked this post:
aburdell (08-03-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate the ideas! Gonna try and “garage” it at my parents in West Virginia and see if I can get past Loudoun emissions. If that doesn’t work I’ll try to trip permits for $5. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2022, 05:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 97 Likes on 86 Posts

Yessir, just an FYI when you change the garage jurisdiction, you need to notify that "new" jurisdiction and your required to pay the property tax to them. Honestly if you're car isn't too ridiculous I would just drive it on a few short trips around town and then 15-20 min cruise at steady speeds above 50mph and then check the monitors and see if you're good. Have between 1/4 and 3/4 tank of gas and let it cool completely off from the time you do the short trips to the steady speeds so it can do it's self tests. Unless you have long tubes and emissions stuff deleted where you might get flack on the visual or plan to do that...then by all means I'd change the garage jurisdiction.

Last edited by biketopia; 08-04-2022 at 05:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Emissions Help - dead battery