Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Newbie Gen 3 LS1 Engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2024 | 10:39 AM

Default Newbie Gen 3 LS1 Engine rebuild

Hello everyone

I have been using this site as reference for my build since day one and it's time to start asking for some advice. Although it has been very informative thus far I am in need to know about which size bearings to get on my stock rods and crankshaft. The engine came home from machine shop yesterday with some work done to it. Nothing wash bored out, I told the machinist just trying to do the bare minimum and stock specs to get her running again. Not in search of high performance upgrades at the moment. I had the following done:

-Pressure test heads
-Install cam bearings
-Deck block
-Power hone block
-Wash polish crankshaft
-Jet wash block

What I am wondering is if the work done to the crankshaft is going to effect my oil clearance between bearing and crank journals. I'm fairly inclined to say I'm ok with oe size but like to be certain I'll be good. Thanks guys!

John
2006 5.3 Gen 3 Ls1
Old 09-14-2024 | 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice
5 Year Member

You should always check clearances either with a micrometer/dial bore guage (preferred method) or Plastiguage (less preferred method.)

But for a polished crank, standard bearings will be fine for sure.
Old 09-14-2024 | 11:15 AM

I have the micrometers to do the measuring for this and going to get a digital micrometer to be exact about it. Not trying to find out after it's together but thank you.
Old 09-18-2024 | 05:25 AM
On The Tree
15 Year Member

FYI- and always spray down all bare metal parts with wd40 or spray lube to coat them. crank, cylinder walls, inside of block, etc. Don't want nothing to start to rust. Only saying this since you didn't mention this
Old 09-18-2024 | 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Tom01ss
FYI- and always spray down all bare metal parts with wd40 or spray lube to coat them. crank, cylinder walls, inside of block, etc. Don't want nothing to start to rust. Only saying this since you didn't mention this
Yes since day one I have been coating those areas with clean oil. But wd40 will be sufficient too. Also wrap the engine back up in saran wrap as well best I can. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2024 | 11:46 AM
TECH Junkie
20 Year Member

A gen 3 5.3 is not an LS1. They have a lot in common but depending on what you're looking at things can be different. Make sure you're looking at the correct schematics.
Old 09-21-2024 | 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by _JB_
A gen 3 5.3 is not an LS1. They have a lot in common but depending on what you're looking at things can be different. Make sure you're looking at the correct schematics.
I just double checked my 8th vin which is a Z so 5.3 L59. Would of been pissed looking at wrong thing lol. I have downloaded a Emanual which I am referencing to.

I'm currently getting measurements from the parts going back in the block. The piston diameters are coming out 3.777 to 3.780 throughout all 8 of them. Hoping that isn't to worn. These pistons are what came out the engine and plan on being reused. Cleaned them up to best my ability including ring grooves. My feeler gauge between the rings and grooves are 0.08mm and/or 0.04mm but more leaning towards 0.04mm.

All parts I have ordered and have ordered are standard sizes being that i have done zero performance part upgrades.

Crank bearing journals and rod bearing journals have came out to spec with outside micrometer. Just waiting on dial bore gauge to measure clearances and inside diameters. My question is how much tolerance is acceptable even with new stock parts going back in?. Also wondering how much could these clearances be different with standard parts. I can't shake the feeling I'm missing something despite all the research and reading. Any advice is appreciated!

FYI the engine was running when taken apart. Had no oil pressure though due to a spun cam bearing which was found out once I took out the cam. Machine shop informed me that crank and cam are reusable and no further machine work was necessary.

Quick Reply: Newbie Gen 3 LS1 Engine rebuild