Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

If your car sucks in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005 | 09:27 AM
SRM
TECH Apprentice

blizzaks work great. the only limited factor is if the snow is deep enough that my car starts to plow into it! I don't even add weight to the hatch area.
Old 03-01-2005 | 09:33 AM
Humanitarian

The only thing the extra weight from the fuel seems to help me with is when I first start out. I like it when the tires just dead hook and dont spin at all and all these other people with crappy tires are all over the place.
Old 03-01-2005 | 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info Joe....definitely appreciate it.
Old 03-01-2005 | 09:49 AM
Humanitarian

No prob.
Old 03-01-2005 | 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I drive my car year round as well. I have some 17x9.5s with Goodyear Eagle GS-D3s, and I've got some Dunlop Graspiks on my stock 16x8s for the winter.

It really is all in the tires. This year I got caught in our first storm with my Goodyears on, and what a royal asscramp that was. The winter tires are a whole other story though. Night and day. I'll plow through 3-4" of snow without any trouble (I actually do have about 150lbs of sand in my hatch as well. As Joe said, helps with the initial take-off).

I actually had a Subaru rear end me a few weeks ago, and the driver was flabergasted because he had no idea how my sports car could stop better than his awd scoobie in this weather (I posted about that ordeal in the Racers Lounge). Oh well, I actually made a little money on that deal.

I do hear ya though Slowhawk. If you can't go, stay off the road. My F-body goes, stops, and turns just fine in the snow with winter tires though.
Old 03-01-2005 | 11:46 AM
Race your car!

I gotta dig my stupid car out in a week or so to bring it to the shop.. I tried to move it in my yard last year.. ground ws frozen, and about 2 inches of snow in the ground.... car ended up about 4 inches from where it was sitting by the time I gave up. I've never actually driven my car in the snow... and I dred the thought of having to. If it weren't for my dodge pickup... I'd be sitting at home alot more than I do already
Old 03-01-2005 | 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

You can make any car drive in the winter, there are just some that are more suited. I know for myself I would be in tears if I had to drive my car through all the sleet and and snow and salt everyday, no matter how much the vehicle costs I want to take care of it.

People can drive whatever they want, But it still kinda urks me to see a nice car going through winter punishment. That and driving a sports car like that is a little more risky in the winter. I don't care what anybody says. F-bodies and vettes were not designed to be optimal winter cars. But yes you can drive them w/ winter tires.

For those who can't afford beaters, how about instead of buying those $1000 headers for your ride, get a beater instead 1st.

But If you can't, you can't, and I can understand that.
Old 03-01-2005 | 12:42 PM
Humanitarian

I live in Southie, I can buy a 200.00 car and spend 1300.00 every year for basic insurance then I can spend more and more as little things break in the car.

I dont see what kind of beating the car takes through the winter. The paint? I can detail my 99 Camaro with chipped paint to look better than most new cars out there.
Old 03-01-2005 | 01:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO
I live in Southie, I can buy a 200.00 car and spend 1300.00 every year for basic insurance then I can spend more and more as little things break in the car.

I dont see what kind of beating the car takes through the winter. The paint? I can detail my 99 Camaro with chipped paint to look better than most new cars out there.
I know insurance is high in Southie, but $1,300! My insurance is less than that for my 01 TA and my 93 Cherokee together.

I wouldnt buy a car for $200 either of course it gonna break, but you can get something decent for a little over a grand, and then maybe just drive it on those really crappy days.

I know If I did not have the jeep there would of been plenty of times I would have not of made it to where I was gong that day.

But, hey, whatever floats your boat. You still won't catch me driving my car in this stuff.
Old 03-01-2005 | 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

People can drive whatever they want, But it still kinda urks me to see a nice car going through winter punishment. That and driving a sports car like that is a little more risky in the winter. I don't care what anybody says. F-bodies and vettes were not designed to be optimal winter cars. But yes you can drive them w/ winter tires.
Have you driven a car with winter tires? I mean WINTER tires. Not that all season crap stuff. I think somebody already said it, but I'll say it again, my TA with winter tires drives better than any other car out there on all season tires, no doubt in my mind whatsoever.

That and driving a sports car like that is a little more risky in the winter.
A little more risky than what? riskier than driving a top heavy, tipsy, SUV? Yah, ok.

No doubt in my mind at all that my TA stops better than your Cherokee in any given weather conditions. The only thing that's different is where the power goes and how easy it is to accelerate. Being able to easily accelerate has NO impact on safety or risk. You don't have to care what anybody else says, but it doesn't make what you've got to say right.

I know If I did not have the jeep there would of been plenty of times I would have not of made it to where I was gong that day.
I know there have been plenty of times when I've gone someplace with my TA in nasty weather, and people have for some reason marvelled at how I managed to do it. Of course, these same people had no experience at all driving a vehicle with decent winter specific tires.

F-bodies and vettes were not designed to be optimal winter cars. But yes you can drive them w/ winter tires.
Hell, you can drive them without winter tires. I did that for years before experiencing the wonders of winter tires. With winter tires, they are every bit as competent a winter vehicle as any generic commuter vehicle on the road, and a whole lot more fun in general to boot, even during the winter months.

For those who can't afford beaters, how about instead of buying those $1000 headers for your ride, get a beater instead 1st.
For me, it's got nothing to do with affording. I dont' WANT to drive a beater. I don't want to drive even a half decent commuter vehicle. I don't want to drive anything less than my Trans Am. Plain and simple. I drive one of my parents or siblings cars or trucks, and I feel like I'm driving a sloppy wallowing pig or sloth. Don't even get me started on SUVS. They handle like crap. They're far more of a hazzard on the road than my Trans Am ever will be. You can just forget about any sort of emergency maneuvering in one of those vehicles. Driving a sports car is a little more risky? Please!
Old 03-01-2005 | 02:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jRaskell
Have you driven a car with winter tires? I mean WINTER tires. Not that all season crap stuff. I think somebody already said it, but I'll say it again, my TA with winter tires drives better than any other car out there on all season tires, no doubt in my mind whatsoever.

A little more risky than what? riskier than driving a top heavy, tipsy, SUV? Yah, ok.

No doubt in my mind at all that my TA stops better than your Cherokee in any given weather conditions. The only thing that's different is where the power goes and how easy it is to accelerate. Being able to easily accelerate has NO impact on safety or risk. You don't have to care what anybody else says, but it doesn't make what you've got to say right.

I know there have been plenty of times when I've gone someplace with my TA in nasty weather, and people have for some reason marvelled at how I managed to do it. Of course, these same people had no experience at all driving a vehicle with decent winter specific tires.

Hell, you can drive them without winter tires. I did that for years before experiencing the wonders of winter tires. With winter tires, they are every bit as competent a winter vehicle as any generic commuter vehicle on the road, and a whole lot more fun in general to boot, even during the winter months.

For me, it's got nothing to do with affording. I dont' WANT to drive a beater. I don't want to drive even a half decent commuter vehicle. I don't want to drive anything less than my Trans Am. Plain and simple. I drive one of my parents or siblings cars or trucks, and I feel like I'm driving a sloppy wallowing pig or sloth. Don't even get me started on SUVS. They handle like crap. They're far more of a hazzard on the road than my Trans Am ever will be. You can just forget about any sort of emergency maneuvering in one of those vehicles. Driving a sports car is a little more risky? Please!
Hey whatever floats your boat. I never said you couldn't I just said there are better suited vehicles.

When you gotta drive through a half foot of snow I'll make sure I walk by you in my top heavy 4-wheel drive SUV.

I knew I would catch flak for saying "risky", But I think most people would agree w/ me.

I also think most people agree w/ me about getting a beater if it is a possibility for them.
Old 03-01-2005 | 02:38 PM
Humanitarian

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
When you gotta drive through a half foot of snow I'll make sure I walk by you in my top heavy 4-wheel drive SUV.
When is there 6 inches of solid snow on the ground? I have yet to see that on side streets that are barely plowed in the middle of a snow storm and I never see 6 inches on the highway or main roads.
Old 03-01-2005 | 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

100$ for my beater and 75 in repairs so far on the Excel thing is sweet all 1.5liters
BTLFEDSS
Gets me to work when my cars apart
Old 03-01-2005 | 02:50 PM
11 Second Club

When is there 6 inches of solid snow on the ground? I have yet to see that on side streets that are barely plowed in the middle of a snow storm and I never see 6 inches on the highway or main roads.

There is at my house unfortunately I live in the sticks. The plow guys here take there time getting to my neck of the woods
Old 03-01-2005 | 03:41 PM
Humanitarian

I was at my buddies house in NH a few weeks ago in the middle of that storm we thought would be bigger than the Blizzard of 78. He lives in the woods, we didnt even have that much up there, watch out for the grizzlies, you must really be buried.
Old 03-01-2005 | 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

I was at my buddies house in NH a few weeks ago in the middle of that storm we thought would be bigger than the Blizzard of 78. He lives in the woods, we didnt even have that much up there, watch out for the grizzlies, you must really be buried.
Yeah it sucks, when Boston gets a foot we get 2. I commute to Boston everyday for work almost a 2hr commute. So I have had my share of winter driving.
Old 03-01-2005 | 04:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by foff667
i think my gtp is the worst fwd car in the snow ever produced...my wifes buick century which is made on the same chassis is like 1000x better...i think it has to do with the tire combination I have but still its terrible. Wish I had $ for a beater, but this was supposed to be my beater lol i always had good experience with fwd and snow but not the case with this hunk.
HA!!!!!!!!!! I hope you wrote this before you saw my snow adventure. Took me like 14 hours to get up a little couple little hills. I officially have THE WORST snow handling vehicle ever.
Old 03-01-2005 | 05:32 PM
Race your car!

1300 for insurance... ****, mine's 1300 every 6 months for my 2001 ws-6 and my 2003 dodge 1500. You guys payin 1300 every 6 months or a year? Hope that's not a year... because then I'll really feel like mine's high.
Old 03-01-2005 | 08:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Badzracing
HA!!!!!!!!!! I hope you wrote this before you saw my snow adventure. Took me like 14 hours to get up a little couple little hills. I officially have THE WORST snow handling vehicle ever.
you may have thee worst overall in our area yes...but i have thee worst fwd...and thats saying something
Old 03-02-2005 | 07:10 AM
Humanitarian

1300.00 for basic coverage on a 1993 Tempo with 95,000 miles.

When I first got my car, I was a step 15 or 14, I was paying 3,800.00 a year for the best coverage, now I'm down to 2,300.00. I think I pay more for my one car than Don pays for 5 of his and I would still have left over money.