Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

ls1 or lt1?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 10:11 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question ls1 or lt1?

hey i didnt really know where to post so i figure that all you local guys could help me out...im currently saving for an ls1 preferably or the right lt1,anyway i am probably going to purchase one next summer and then start saving for a supercharer SO i was wondering is there a huge difference in supercharged ls1 and lt1 numbers? also is there a big reliability difference between the s/c'd ls1 and lt1? lastly will i notice big track time number differences with an a4 s/c as opposed to a m6 s/c? thanks to all you knowledgeable guys can you help me out?
thanks alot in advance
Old 05-06-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1ssws6
hey i didnt really know where to post so i figure that all you local guys could help me out...im currently saving for an ls1 preferably or the right lt1,anyway i am probably going to purchase one next summer and then start saving for a supercharer SO i was wondering is there a huge difference in supercharged ls1 and lt1 numbers? also is there a big reliability difference between the s/c'd ls1 and lt1? lastly will i notice big track time number differences with an a4 s/c as opposed to a m6 s/c? thanks to all you knowledgeable guys can you help me out?
thanks alot in advance
LS1 are a hell of a lot better to work on and relaibility wise. and as for the track an A4 will smoke a M6 at the track everyday.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Z28_Ninja
LS1 are a hell of a lot better to work on and relaibility wise. and as for the track an A4 will smoke a M6 at the track everyday.
Want to race your A4 against my M6 to prove that?LOL
J/K-Fred
Old 05-06-2005, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fred99Z28
J/K-Fred
ill revise my statment, if they both have the same setup, then an a4 will beat an M6
Old 05-06-2005, 11:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred99Z28
J/K-Fred
A4 would still win with the right verter.I have a car that dyno's the same as Fred's but weigh's 150lbs more.He runs 10.8's
Old 05-06-2005, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

LT1 = Opti-spark sytem .. pissed every LT1/4 owner off as it is highly unreliable (fails when wet and when watpump begins to die, the weep hole leaks water on top of the opti-crap and kills it) not to mention the dreaded oil leak in the back of the engine, plus the intake is metallic which heat-soaks incoming air. One-off -reverse-flow cooling system (engineers must been stoned when designing) kinda defunct shrinking market, but market still in existence for support.

LS1 = superior coil-per-cylinder ignition design more than enough to take 600+ hp from OEM equipment, not affected by moister like the LT1/4 is, not near waterpump so when waterpump quits, the ignition is still safe , some burn oil, but not all, composite intake does not conduct heat like the LT1's/4's intake, which means lower intake temperatures. BIGGER aftermarket for the LS1 which translates to bigger support base. higher overall power/torque with no mods...

shal I say more
Old 05-06-2005, 02:31 PM
Launching!

thanks rhodeisland i think that pretty much clears up the ls1 vs lt1 quiestion it was basically between a lt1 ws6 or a ls1 t/a with ws6 hood badges and wheels...so i think ill go with the ls1 when i get the money together next summer....also are you guys serious i thought that m6 always ran faster than a4s with the same set ups of course?
Old 05-06-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

thanks rhodeisland i think that pretty much clears up the ls1 vs lt1 quiestion it was basically between a lt1 ws6 or a ls1 t/a with ws6 hood badges and wheels...so i think ill go with the ls1 when i get the money together next summer....also are you guys serious i thought that m6 always ran faster than a4s with the same set ups of course?
Stock for stock its pretty darn close ET wise. The M6's tend to trap a little higher.

Automatics get a bad rep because some mfg's autos suck alot of power compared to the manuals and are a decent bit slower. Older Mustangs are notorious for being alot slower with a slushbox (at least in stock form). GM's always made very good autos, and their auto cars give up very little in acceleration to their manuals.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Regular

I agree two equally modded cars, one with A4 & one with M6, A4 will get a better ET. Just a lower trap speed, but it's all about the number I guess. My 94 Z28 with a LT1 A4 ran 12.40@110 & beat alot of cars running the same LT4 H/C kit with heads and M6. Mine had stock heads and full weight.

Now a days I just feel anyone can drive an A4, but it takes talent to get a M6 to the other end & put up some good numbers,lol
Old 05-10-2005, 10:37 AM
Launching!

yea i guess its from what i know about my car...i have a 2002 mercury cougar and all i hear is the manuals will kill the autos so i guess its a ford thing hopefully i wont be dissappointed with the switch to gm
Old 05-11-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I never had problems with anything on my LT1. I suppose its still a baby though with 55k miles on it (1995Z28 M6). If you truly want an LS1 then dont settle for less. The LT1's are great and when getting into heavy mods it will go to whoever spends the most money. I am building a 383LT1 turbo setup that will be quite nasty when done. I expect an easy 700rwhp pump gas. It takes money though, like all cars.

LT1 parts are cheaper than LS1
LT1 cars can be bought for cheaper.
The optispark is no longer an issue for LT1 cars due to Delteq's new coil pack conversion kit.
Iron block which will be good for boost when built with forged components
Cheap tuning software for 94-95 LT1's (tunercat)

LS1's are faster out of the box
All aluminum engine is great for heat dissipation and weight savings
great head/intake design for stock
respond very well to mods N/A

Now, once you get serious about modding, then all the stuff mentioned for the LS1 above goes out the window. It then comes down to availability of parts (which is plenty for both) and pricing (better for LT1). If you love the body style of the LS1 then go for it. If you like the style for the LT1 then go for that as well. If you arent going to do engine work and would like to do heads/cam or just bolt-ons, then the LS1 will be the faster vehicle.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:19 AM
11 Second Club

yea i guess its from what i know about my car...i have a 2002 mercury cougar and all i hear is the manuals will kill the autos so i guess its a ford thing hopefully i wont be dissappointed with the switch to gm
I switched 15 years ago and only look back at the styling of other makes.
GM has it regarding driving feel, parts interchange, support groups and the LS1 was a killer step from my previous 4 different LT1 cars. I even went to an LT1 again just to be sure. Fords are cracker cans with weak body design and shitty road feel if equal money is spent. I have frightened a few of my Ford buddies with a ride in my heads/cam/converter LS1
IMO the same car body with an LS1 based motor = more speed/dollar in mods.
I however love the 93-97 Formula nose - but am stuck with my 00 nose, with the LS1 inside
Old 05-14-2005, 04:18 PM
Launching!

thanks guys so RealQuick yoru sayin when i decide to get a supercharger for my t/a that an lt1 would respond better than an ls1 im kinda confussed? i mean basically you have a ls1 and an lt1 both a4 with all the same bolt on's heads cam exhaust etc etc etc and put a supercharger on both which would be quick is what im basically trying to figure out...and if it is the ls1 would it be a lot quicker or just so so?
thanks and sorry if my quiestions are kinda dumb....by the way where is a good website or catalog to order ls1 and lt1 parts from? aftermarket of course
Old 05-14-2005, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

by the way where is a good website or catalog to order ls1 and lt1 parts from? aftermarket of course
See all the sponsors on the right ---------------------------------------> ?
Old 05-16-2005, 08:00 AM
TECH Junkie

so RealQuick yoru sayin when i decide to get a supercharger for my t/a that an lt1 would respond better than an ls1
With boost, the LT1 should gain close to the same power as an LS1. The difference is the LS1 has higher numbers to start. Example, 6psi on an LT1 will bump it from 260rwhp to 380rwhp where 6psi on LS1 might bump it from 310rwhp to 430rwhp. The gains would be similar (~120rwhp give or take some), but the output is higher for the LS1 because it make more power to begin with. The major difference in power is due to the head design between the LS1 and LT1. If you keep the stock heads, even if they are ported, the ls1 with its ported stock heads will make more power. Also, the intake manifold design is better for N/A applications. With boost, the intake doesnt matter as much. To answer your question, if you have ported stock heads and equally sized cam, then the LS1 should be faster. If you then add a blower than the LS1 should still be on top. If you switch out the LT1 heads for a set of AFR's that are ported (that flow more like LSx #'s) then that levels the playing field.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

ls1 head flow...design...etc etc are so far ahead it aint funnt /thread please

take an ls1 and put 10 psi on it...take an lt1 and put 10 psi on it...ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE
Old 05-16-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by PurEvl
ls1 head flow...design...etc etc are so far ahead it aint funnt /thread please

take an ls1 and put 10 psi on it...take an lt1 and put 10 psi on it...ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE
Exactly, but mainly because of what I said about the LS1 starting with higher power due to the heads, etc. I'd be willing to bet the GAINS from the blower are similar (within 10-20rwhp of eachother), just the LS1's numbers are higher.

Interesting info from Vortech's site:

The V2 SQ S trim (base kit) for the LT1 adds 134hp/85tq @ 6psi

The V-9 SQ G Trim (base kit) for the LS1 adds 98hp/65tq @ 5-6psi

Both kits are not intercooled.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

i see what your saying...either way most SC base kits will add 100-140hp regardless of motor.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ls1's handle 9lbs all day long lt1's 6lbs not to mention the ls1 has 6 bolt mains as opposed to 2 bolt. You also have to spend money to get rid of the optishitter! Ok done venting on the lt1 but when all said and done I love them both but ls1's are more of a get in and drive car.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For what it is worth my Lt1 bolt on car(more bolt ons then my ls1) did 12.8@109 and it was a low option car. My bolt on SS (full option and less bolt ons) 12.3@112