Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Any tuners close to me that can help me out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Exclamation Any tuners close to me that can help me out?

I just got my ported heads on the 408 and it ran fine for a while but runs like absolute crap now with the SES light flashing. Feels like it's running on 2 cylinders. Just wondering if anyone is in the area that could come take a look and help me diagnose what's goin on and possibly tune me enough to let me be able to drive to the shop in MD where I am getting the full tune. I'd appreciate it!
Old 06-15-2006, 07:12 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would check all the fuses under the hood if I was you.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would entertain the idea that a fuse blew but I got the SES light on initial startup. Disconnected the battery for a while, took the plugs out, cleaned em up some since the driver's side had some white residue on the tips, put everything back together and then drove it for about 10 minutes with it totally fine. It ran great. I washed the car, got back in it to drive home and about 2 minutes after I started driving I got the SES again. So, it's not a fuse that's blown.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
I would entertain the idea that a fuse blew but I got the SES light on initial startup. Disconnected the battery for a while, took the plugs out, cleaned em up some since the driver's side had some white residue on the tips, put everything back together and then drove it for about 10 minutes with it totally fine. It ran great. I washed the car, got back in it to drive home and about 2 minutes after I started driving I got the SES again. So, it's not a fuse that's blown.
Wanna bet.Sounds just like a fuse problem.Takes 5 minutes to check
Old 06-15-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Haha, alright, I'll take your word and go check right now...
Old 06-15-2006, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A big thing we ran into at a shop I worked at was water getting into the two main harness connectors that bolt to the ECM under the hood. Disconnect the battery and then unbolt the two main harness connectors at the computer and see if they're corroded in there, It'll be plain to see. We had them as bad as the pins rotted out of the connector terminal and PCM themselves. The fact that you said you had problems after you washed the car makes me think it might be that. We found it bad on '98s and '99s, even some 2000s. Good luck...
Old 06-15-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NYNJRacer
A big thing we ran into at a shop I worked at was water getting into the two main harness connectors that bolt to the ECM under the hood. Disconnect the battery and then unbolt the two main harness connectors at the computer and see if they're corroded in there, It'll be plain to see. We had them as bad as the pins rotted out of the connector terminal and PCM themselves. The fact that you said you had problems after you washed the car makes me think it might be that. We found it bad on '98s and '99s, even some 2000s. Good luck...
But water never got in to the engine bay.

I just checked all my fuses and they're fine. I actually had left the battery cable unplugged for about an hour and I just plugged it back in and started the car up and it ran fine. I took it for a drive and started out in first, was fine, then shifted into second so I wouldn't wake up the neighbors. Then it kinda bogged down since I was going so slow and went back into it's limp mode where it runs like crap. I just realized this is the trend, because that's when it did it the first and second time as well. It runs fine after letting it sit without the battery for about an hour. However, once I bog the car a bit, it immediately turns to its limp mode, but this time there was no flashing SES... yet. Any ideas?
Old 06-15-2006, 08:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

plugs/wires maybe?
Old 06-15-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's what I was thinking... but they are pretty much new, less than 3k miles on them. They are MSD's. Like I said, I pulled the plugs and the driver side bank had a whitish covering on them which I cleaned off. If it was the plugs, it would run like crap and stay that way until I changed them, which it doesn't, it runs like crap intermittently. The thing that is throwing me off is that the car runs fine after the PCM is cleared, but once it gets stuck in its limp mode it stays there.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

was the engine up to temp? My car would pull that **** now and then if I didn't let it warm up fully. It would run like **** and the ses light would flash. I just shut it off then back on and it went away. It only happen to me when my car was cold.Not sure why but it did. I let it get up to 200 before I even think about moving it now. It has never done it since
Old 06-15-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Interesting... it was fully up to temp when I drove it the one time and it was fine. The first time it acted up I'm not sure it was fully up to temp, and the second time it had cooled down a bit and as soon as I started it I started driving. But that still doesn't explain why it only starts to act like crap when the car bogs.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Sounds like when it goes into closed loop the car runs like crap.Could be anything.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Could be anything tune related, right? I just want to make sure it's not something physically wrong with the engine that I can help.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Update: I just pulled the plugs. Here are the pics:
Looking from the front of the car back (left side is passenger side):

Passenger side plugs top view:
Driver side plugs top view:

ALSO, was just recently made aware that my last fillup was at a gas station that uses 10% ethanol I'm sure that's not helping.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your banks are imbalanced. Passengers side is adding fuel. Check for an exhaust leak on that side or a bad O2 sensor.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

I do have a pretty bad exhaust leak where the merge collectors meet the y-pipe but that's past the O2 sensor (sensor is in the end of the MC right before it meets the y). Could that still be a problem?
Old 06-16-2006, 11:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mikey
Your banks are imbalanced. Passengers side is adding fuel. Check for an exhaust leak on that side or a bad O2 sensor.
I just checked it out a while ago... Mikey you hit the nail on the head. I have an exhaust leak in the MC's since the exhaust is slip fit (and has been leaking since day one). Needless to say, it got worse since the exhaust was dropped for a couple weeks. I put some exhaust sealer just for the meantime and the thing ran friggin great. The throttle response is crisp as hell and you can tell the thing wants to run The bad part is the sealant gave way halfway home and it started running like crap again. At least I know exactly what it is now! I appreciate all the help guys. I can't wait to get this thing up and running with some new numbers.