Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Two tone my pick up or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 06:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two tone my pick up or not?

I'm in kinda a delima. Most of the paint was flaking off the rocker panels and behind my tires on my pick up. I resprayed but I'm kinda unhappy with the results. The basecoat Valspar sent doesn't flip 100% like the factory in direct sunlight. I have it blended well enough that most people wouldn't notice, but I still notice it and it's going to drive me nuts. Also the color match isn't close enough for me to spray my fender flares the body color, it would look stupid.

I was thinking of doing a factory style two-tone where the paint is cut in the pocket running down the truck. I was thinking maybe silver, but a touch on the darker side? The fender flares would be silver too. From teh factory it would be like a sandy metallic color but I don't want to do that. I'm open to any other suggestions too.

Old pic of the truck. It doesn't have the door and bed molding any more. It also sits level now too.
Attached Thumbnails Two tone my pick up or not?-pickup5_med.jpg  
Old 09-27-2006, 06:16 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a dark charcoal color on the bottom would be nice. Fender flares, etc. all the same charcoal color.

Is the front bumper painted on the bottom from the factory? Or is it chrome, and the bottom piece is plastic? I can't remember on those trucks.

Either way, two tone schemes are the ****, I say go for it.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:21 PM

I hate two tone paint, but that's just me.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:37 PM
10 Second Club

The front bumper is the cheap base model bumper (pic below). I would smooth and paint the cap to match the fender flares (maybe do the lower part too). Then head off to the junk yard and see if I can snag a chrome grill off a Burben.

Not sure if dark charcoal would do it. The factory paint turns pretty dark on a cloudy day and it can turn to a kinda titanium color in the sun. It's a pain the *** to work with, I can tell you that.

David, I normally like the one color look too. But I don't think all this blending work is worth it and I'm cutting the blend in that pocket as it is already. I have about another 2 weeks before it's to cold to spray outside.
Attached Thumbnails Two tone my pick up or not?-pickup4_med.jpg  
Old 09-27-2006, 11:01 PM
11 Second Club

Two Tone It!!! It'll look great! A dark silver would look good for sure! I plan on two toning my Silverado with a dark gray, metallic in the future for the reason of minor paint flake and some surface rust as well as faded marks from taking off my side moldings!
Old 09-28-2006, 02:48 PM
10 Second Club

I looked at some Omni chips today (Yes I'm cheap). I'm going to try the silver, it pretty much looks like factory Sebring Silver. I really liked the Steel Metallic, but it was to close to the factory paint color, it would have looked like mis matched paint. I'm going to see if I can put alittle toner or something in the silver to darken it up a touch.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:39 AM
TECH Regular

personally i wouldnt two tone it id paint it stock color and paint you bumper with it
Old 09-29-2006, 01:29 PM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

mine's two tone with storm gray being the top... its one of the more rare chevy two tones... I like it ok, but next year when I paint my truck I'm going to a different color... and ony one color...

here's a pic...

Old 09-29-2006, 02:34 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the pics, they give me a good idea of how it will look. I searched all over and couldn't find a two tone Mystic Gray truck. I think it will look decent esspecially since the fenders flares will help keep the silver going from bumper to bumper uninterupted. If I don't like it I will do something else in the spring.

I picked up the base today. I'm going to carry the two tone around to the tailgate too, so I will use that as my test panel to see if I like it or not.

Quick Reply: Two tone my pick up or not?