Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Anyone going to the WCD exotic car drive this week?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone going to the WCD exotic car drive this week?

It will be outside of Boston on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week -

http://www.wcdriving.com/

From their site -

"OUR FLEET INCLUDES FERRARI F430, LAMBORGHINI GALLARDO, BENTLEY GT, FORD GT, ASTON MARTIN DB9 VOLANTE, CORVETTE Z06, FERRARI MODENA SPYDER, MERCEDES SL AMG, PORSCHE TURBO, MASSERATI QUATTROPORTE, BMW M5 AND VIPER."

Not supposed to drive them to hard but I open we have a little room to play!
Old 10-16-2006, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

looks cool but not for $995 per driving person
Old 10-17-2006, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, their proud but there are some big $ cars there. I'll post some pics tonight.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:22 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if it was road racing then yea but cruising at 55 - 65 is gay. it's more of a tease than just looking at the car, instead of looking at the car they'll let you drive it like a grandma.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm hoping that we get a little room to play. The "cheapest" car of the group is the Z06. The Lamborghini and F430 are in the high end, $200-$250k range.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yesterday didn't quite go as planned. I got to the meeting place in Concord, MA at about 11:15. Some of the guys were standing next to the Lamborghini and taking about taking pictures while others pushed. I found that the car didn't start that morning. It has about 700 miles on the odometer and everything was good the night before but no start when they want to leave. They tried jumping it and other suggestions from the manufacturer but nothing worked so it left on a "streatcher" a little while after I arrived. The morning group of drivers got a late start because of this problem and they were also down a car so that didn't help things either. Someone toasted the Aston Martin at the NY event the week before so that wasn't available as a back-up.

Seeing that things were running late and 1-2 cars short the organizers asked if anyone would like to reschedule to another event. Nobody took him up on the offer at the time. I looked forward to driving the Lamborghini but I would have lived. Drivers were assigned their cars for the first leg. I took the passenger seat in the Z06. It started raining as we left the meeting place. At that point I started to think that it would be a good idea for me to pass on driving and set something up for another location. Down two cars and then add rain into the mix. None of us would be able to drive the cars close to their potential and I really wasn't into driving the Ford GT in the rain. I let them know my plans at the first stop. No problem there. Everyone swapped to their next driving position and I became passenger in one of the support vehicles. Next stop I grabbed shotgun in the BMW M5. Nice car! After about 5 minutes the group pulled over and the organizer said that they were going to call it a day. We were driving on wet backroads in MA and also dealing with alot of traffic. Combine that with a late start and being a couple of cars down they didn't think the group was getting it's money's worth. Everyone could either get a full refund or go for an event in another part of the country.

I'm going to wait until next year. Will probably set something up in AZ. That should provide a more wide open driving experience. I've been wanting to check out Meteor Crator near Flagstaff so that will be a good time for that too!

Here are a few pics that I took. The cars coming in are the morning group.

It might not sound like a good day but I'd have no problem booking for another event. The organizers are very good people that tried to make the experience as good as possible considering the circumstances. This is their first year doing this so it's been a learning experience. They see what needs to be changed to make next year's events even better.

btw- Traffic on route 128 around Boston really s*cks at 5:15! I'm glad I don't have to deal with that every day!