Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 06:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car Club @ Spring Valley

Police crack down on drag racing along Rockland roads
By STEVE LIEBERMAN
THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: October 25, 2006)

NANUET - Police said yesterday that they were cracking down again on car-club drivers known to drag-race on Route 59 and a nearby state highway.

More than 50 summonses were issued Sunday night to owners of the hot rods and souped-up cars who meet almost weekly in the Thruway Plaza strip mall parking lot on Route 59 or at the park-and-ride across the highway.

The tickets were for violating laws on car safety and other motor vehicles violations, police said.

But the main issue for police was drag racing.

"We got them as they congregated, before they went racing, as a deterrent," state police Sgt. John Antonelli said. "We don't want to see people tragically killed on the highway."

For years, the loosely knit car club has taken over the strip mall parking lot on Sunday nights. The drivers come from New Jersey, Orange County and Rockland, police said.

And police suspect that many of the drivers drag-race along the Garden State Parkway extension in Chestnut Ridge. In 1997, state police arrested nine drivers for drag-racing there.

More than 100 people hang out in either parking lot on most Sunday nights, Clarkstown police said. Police have received complaints about loud noises from mufflers and revving cars, as well as litter being scattered in the parking lot.

"It's fine for them to show off their cars, but when they get into having loud mufflers and creating a nuisance, it becomes a law-enforcement issue," Detective Gerard King said. "And it wouldn't be a major problem for law enforcement if they were not drag-racing and if they cleaned up after themselves."

At times, there had been reports of racing in Spring Valley, but that was years ago, Sgt. Jim Hoenniger said.

"We haven't dealt with them in a long time," Hoenniger said. "Once in a while, we had a problem back then. The major concern was people might feel intimidated by those cars and the large number of drivers."

This past Sunday night, more than 25 New York and New Jersey state troopers and Clarkstown police officers inspected more than 100 cars at the park-and-ride lot.

The police checked registrations, licenses, ownership and traffic and vehicle law conformity. Aside from the tickets, two of the cars were towed for violations and one person was charged with possessing marijuana, a violation, police said.

Antonelli said police used an electronic scanner to check license plates in an effort to determine if any of the cars were stolen.

As part of the six-hour operation, the county police helicopter looked out for drag racers and troopers watched the Garden State Parkway extension in Chestnut Ridge, Antonelli said.

Many of the recent drag-racing complaints came from Chestnut Ridge residents whose property backs the Garden State Parkway, the village's mayor, Jerry Kobre, said yesterday.

Kobre said he had called state officials. In 1997, following similar complaints, state police watched and one operation led to arrests for drag racing.

"We told them that the drag racing was starting again," Kobre said. "This is the second time the state police have responded. It made a big difference last time and hopefully this time as well."

Antonelli said Sunday's operation with Clarkstown and other agencies went beyond the norm.

"Surprisingly, we haven't had accidents there," Antonelli said of the parkway. "We stopped cars and gave out several summonses after clocking them going over 100 miles per hour."

Antonelli said police would conduct several more large-scale operations such as Sunday night's in the future.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:21 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Problem- Kids racing

Solution- Build more tracks
Old 10-26-2006, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Problem- Kids racing

Bureucrat's answer:

Problem - Kids racing

Solution - Ticket the **** out of them and rake in more cash
Old 10-26-2006, 07:29 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
Bureucrat's answer:

Problem - Kids racing

Solution - Ticket the **** out of them and rake in more cash
Hence use the cash to build a strip!!

I like your thinking.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:04 AM
11 Second Club

one thing though.. i wouldnt say that i havent street raced.. but its stupid.... it really is....its not worth it
Old 10-26-2006, 08:32 AM
11 Second Club

Well it certainly does work. My friends and I used to go there every week (not even to street race) and since they started giving out tickets to people in the parking lot, i've been there twice in 3 years.
Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Problem- Kids racing

True
Old 10-26-2006, 09:01 AM
Internet Mechanic

Connecticut has a very big Street racing scene, the problem is idiots and ricers are there and people have gotten killed. Also we delt with quite of few productions where bats got pulled out and the threat of getting shot..... The real racers find races and set them up outside of that garbarge.

The scene as died down since grants were given to the state and town police, but that hasnt stopped us. But a track in CT would really cut down the need for senseless deaths from freakin retards.

I have seen countless shows and reports of people in the west where there are no tracks, and they set up cars for highway runs, all mph, all hp since they dont have tracks and its free.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:58 AM
12 Second Club

Dont hold your breath waitng for more tracks to be built. Its hard enough trying to keep the tracks that have been around for many years from getting shut down/restricted by residents who moved in well after the tracks existed. Never mind getting more of them built

Last edited by 01bird58; 10-26-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. B
and one person was charged with possessing marijuana, a violation
no, really...i wouldn't have thought that it was a violation
Old 10-26-2006, 03:22 PM
8 Second Club

we need a track in orange county.....
Old 10-26-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1984camaroz28
we need a track in orange county.....
That would be one of the best things to ever happen.

They were trying to get a dirt track built out in the boonies of Highland back in '01/'02 and it got shot down by the town. So a drag strip would probably have even less of a shot.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:30 PM
8 Second Club

need someone with crazy coin to even try to get one to go
Old 10-26-2006, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

I forsee a multi-purpose autodrome type place with Nascar track, NHRA 1/4 Mile, SCCA Road course and Motorcycle/Go-Cart area.. if it was built in the tri-state area, that would be BIG BUCKs poured into the local economy!
Old 10-26-2006, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

I forsee a multi-purpose autodrome type place with Nascar track, NHRA 1/4 Mile, SCCA Road course and Motorcycle/Go-Cart area.. if it was built in the tri-state area, that would be BIG BUCKs poured into the local economy!
Too many adversities to take on suck a task. The headaches would outweigh the "BIG BUCKS" if not someone would have jumped on it already.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:04 AM
10 Second Club

Exclamation

as well as litter being scattered in the parking lot.
and if they cleaned up after themselves.
I tell people at our meets down in South Jersey all of the time, "stop littering the freakin' parking lot so we don't get kicked the hell outta here", it's very simple logic actually LOL.

I haven't been up to Car Club in a long time, guess it's going to be even longer now until I go again too.