Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Question about what cops can/cannot do when they pull you over.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about what cops can/cannot do when they pull you over.

Does anyone have a link to what cops can/cannont do when they pull you over. I was in my friends car (M3 BMW CT plates) along with another guy ( 3 20 year olds total) driving in MA, my friend driving got pulled over for the "registration being expired" when he only had it for 4 months, and there is 2 year minimum registration in CT so that was bullshit right there.

The thing that happened to me he asked for me and my friends ID's. Can you legally say no to a cop asking for a ID if your not the driver that got pulled over? I just want to be able to be a dick right back to a cop who is being a ******* like he was and know all those little things that they get away with everyday.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:46 AM

Refuse to give ID.........End up in jail. Yes, they can legally ask for ID on everyone in the car.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Launching!

they can legally kill you too..
Old 01-28-2007, 07:59 AM
TECH Resident

They can legally do what ever the **** they want to do. You can be a dick all you want, and he can take you out of the car, cuff you, bitch slap you, and put a mushroom stamp on your forehead. Why? Bcause when you go to court, unless you can prove he had an identifying mark on his mushroom tip, the judge is going to believe a Law Enforcement Officer over some rich young punk in a BMW with homosexual tendencies and delusions of cop ***** on his head.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bowtie Boy
I just want to be able to be a dick right back to a cop
Sucka's jump up to get beat down..

Just give the man your ID and stop being a little bitch.. next thing you know you will be asking if it's necessary to lift your ******* when getting strip searched at the jail.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. B
Punks jump up to get beat down..

Just give the man your ID and stop being a little bitch.. next thing you know you will be asking if it's necessary to lift your ******* when getting strip searched at the jail.
fixed it for ya....
Old 01-28-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Bowtie Boy
I just want to be able to be a dick right back to a cop who is being a ******* like he was and know all those little things that they get away with everyday.
What a bright idea! Why don't you try that next time and see what happens If you try to **** off the officer, they will just look for lots of little violations and keep you waiting around and you will probably get fined and you'll just get yourself more pissed. For a simple question like having your friend show his ID, why would you want to blow it up more and end up paying fines and ****?
Old 01-28-2007, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

Now I have a quick question....Last summer I was with two of my friends and we walked to a store to buy booze at about 1030 pm on the way to a party down the st. from my house. Now we buy it and we are on the way to the house when a guy pulls up in a car....says he is a cop and wants to see our ID's. Now I kept on walking because this guy is not in a police car and didn't display any identification to let us know he was a cop so i'm not showing some random guy my ID. Now he gets out and yells at us and I turn around and I recognize him as the cop that lives four houses away from me....so I tell my friends...hey he's a cop I know him just show him ID's. My friend is like f@ck him how do I know he's a cop. I said I def. know him and just show ID to avoid any probs. Now at this point I have no idea why he wanted to see our ID's because he was in a personal vehicle and in plain clothes. So my two friends are like no way and then they call the police saying someone in plainclothes with no police ID is asking them for ID yelling. So two cruisers show up and bitch out my friends for not showing ID? Now if he wasn't my neighbor I would have had no idea he was a cop because everytime my friends asked him for ID or a badge he wouldn't show it. Can police come and bitch out my friends for not showing ID like they did? And yes i know they are police and they can do whatever they want but is it legal?

EDIT: After they let us go he calls me over and says I hope I appreciate what he is doing stopping three people walking around my neighborhood at night like that and that my friends should smarten up.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Buttaball...that guy is a scum bag power trip loser looking to steal beer from punks. I don't know how legal that is, but see my post above. Who is the judge going to side with. However, payback is a bitch.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

butterball, i agree that was bullshit. he should have shown he was a cop. honestly i would have done the same thing, because people in this world are fkin idiots. to the OP, you can say you dont have an ID, but the reason the cop did that is to see if anyone in the car is wanted for anything, also maby because some of the guys looked young?i remeber getting pulled over with a buddy of mine once, and he asked for his ID. its no big deal really if you have nothing to hide.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ButtaballZ28
Can police come and bitch out my friends for not showing ID like they did?
If they look like this, I would have the cuff's out...

Old 01-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Launching!

The man with the pistol makes the rules.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by obsolete346
The man with the pistol makes the rules.
Get pulled over with a carry permit, then it's whos got more people on his side.

I had 3 cars show up just to let me know a bulb in my tail light was out not even a written warning though lol!
Old 01-28-2007, 11:57 PM
TECH Resident

Why would u want to be a dick to the cops?? I dont understand why people hate on cops so much... makes no sense at all whatsoever. I understand there are some cops that can be on huge power trips and what not and they are homo for doing that, but dont stereotype all cops just cause of a certain few... Id love to see this country w/o law enforcement survive like a week... Be thankful for cops sometimes, that wouldnt hurt... Cops have only pulled me over for things that ive done that are definetly against the law... i.e. speeding. Im so tired of these people complaining about being pulled over cause of a tail light being out, or these minor things... just cause its minor doesnt mean its not the law and cops have every right to enforce that law so stop whining... thats just my .2
Old 01-29-2007, 05:15 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

people that hate cops are usually doing something wrong
Old 01-29-2007, 05:41 AM
Launching!

most cops are on a power trip and love to throw that **** around. Hey if you are doing something wrong then hell yeah they have the right to be like that,..but if you are doing nothing wrong and they give you a hard time...then the question is why? Answer: Cause they can and they are on a power trip....
Old 01-29-2007, 06:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
Get pulled over with a carry permit, then it's whos got more people on his side.

I had 3 cars show up just to let me know a bulb in my tail light was out not even a written warning though lol!
2 words buddy, Officer Safety... You look out for your buddy. Go look up some videos of officers being shot, or by people in the car bum rushing the officer and then shooting him with his own firearm. Every time I do a traffic stop on or off post one of my fellow patrols always shows up for backup, because they are looking out for me, as I look out for them. Fact of the matter every time you approach that car, you do not know what to expect. Now Im just a MP, most of the time i am on post in a controled environment. but you would be surprised of the **** that i have found on people, or in their vehicles. Im not gonna disagree with you there are ******* cops out there. just remember this, while you going about your life they are out serving and protecting you.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Humvee z28
2 words buddy, Officer Safety... You look out for your buddy. Go look up some videos of officers being shot, or by people in the car bum rushing the officer and then shooting him with his own firearm. Every time I do a traffic stop on or off post one of my fellow patrols always shows up for backup, because they are looking out for me, as I look out for them. Fact of the matter every time you approach that car, you do not know what to expect. Now Im just a MP, most of the time i am on post in a controled environment. but you would be surprised of the **** that i have found on people, or in their vehicles. Im not gonna disagree with you there are ******* cops out there. just remember this, while you going about your life they are out serving and protecting you.
Oh no I understand why, it just was kind of funny story I wanted to share.

I was open and polite to the officer over what legally was needed for PAs carry permit laws, he was polite back and I understand why he did it.

He did me a favor, heck I didn't know that bulb passed on, I thanked him for it made no movements to worry him or anything. Still I can understand in his shoes knowing he was out gunned and not knowing if I honestly was polite or a danger.

I have no problem with any cop who does his job, or even if i'm in the wrong to nail me. I'm gald they are out there even.

I know part of the swarming not only is incase something happens but to shake me up incase I thought of doing something ill fated. I'll tell you a few times I was thinking some glitch in the comps showed my permit as not valid and i'm going to jail.

Either way I just wanted to post the story as it's not a common thing for most.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:20 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

There is always 3 sides to any story, your's, his, and the truth...

Small towns with law enforcment are the worst...but..you still need to be level headed.

The above "beer" situation is a bit rediculious (if indeed that's how it happened). I wouldn't hesitate to ask an officer to see his badage. Last I checked...if they are using their "non-civilian" powers, then it is mandetory to have a badage or ID (unless I guess undercover, in which case they wouldn't be making a "beer" bust). I probably woulda refused to stop or show ID too until the marked units showed up.

The good thing about cruisers with video cameras as well as mikedup officers is that they HAVE to do their job legally. It becomes evidence for you or against you, depends on the situation.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:49 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Nothing wrong with a cop pulling over an M3 full of 20 something kids. I bet you would want him to do that if someone had just stolen it from you.

Being in HAZMAT, I deal with police and understand the attitude, but have to respect the nature of the job. Give them nothing to worry about, and you'll be treated the same way. Start wise talking, and fully expect to be put in handcuffs 'for your safety'.

Quick Reply: Question about what cops can/cannot do when they pull you over.