Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Dans Truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 06:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

not that im to familiar with the setup, but from the looks of pictures w/the turbo and knowing how my truck was, might be easiest to go through the wheel well? just a though maybe you've already tried that
Old 03-13-2007, 06:56 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That Turbo setup is just a friggin horrible design
You just have to take off almost the whole turbo kit to change the plugs
Old 03-13-2007, 07:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
That Turbo setup is just a friggin horrible design
You just have to take off almost the whole turbo kit to change the plugs

BINGO. i actually pulled the wheel well protector thingy off thinking i could get to the plugs that way. NOPE, can't even see them.

i'm thinking of taking a hack saw to the downpipe. that should get it out of the way, lol
Old 03-13-2007, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

i got an idea, save up a few more pennies and let don make the kit the right way, everything else is in place, whats a few more thousand at this point. Thats what i would do and have in the past
Old 03-13-2007, 09:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PurEvl
i got an idea, save up a few more pennies and let don make the kit the right way, everything else is in place, whats a few more thousand at this point. Thats what i would do and have in the past
Your piggy bank is bigger than most peoples
Old 03-13-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PurEvl
funny you should say that, i was just thinking the same god damn thing a few min ago. definately getting divorced if i do that. but hey, now all those 21 y/o bitches that want me can have me. Win/Win if you ask me, lol.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

you get divorced, you'll be living in that truck..... might not want to do that.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

believe it or not, i changed the plugs myself tonight. woohooo. didn't have to take off the downpipe. I did have to remove the air filter, turbo, and cross over pipe. Actually wasn't very hard to do once i really looked at it. Got it all back together and realized one of the metal gaskets wasn't sitting right. big exhaust leak.

so, went inside, watched Idol. Went back out. took it all back apart, set the gasket in place(where i thought it should be) put it all back together, fired it up.....................MUCH bigger exhaust leak. I could actually feel it with my hand. I was like What the ****. Then i realized, you idiot, put the o2 sensor back in it's bung. lol

so i did, fired it up again, and alas, still have a leak around that gasket. oh well. now i know how to take it off at least. looks like i'll be doing it at least once more. this time though i'm gonna silicone the gasket in place, let it dry, then reinstall everything.

Oh, all the plugs/wires looked fine. I changed out the PCM too with another one don gave me. Not sure if that fixed anything because i need to fix the gasket problem first.

here's a tip for you turbo guys: don't over tighten the vband clamp. the little bolt WILL snap in half and almost kill you...............twice. lol
Old 03-14-2007, 12:07 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DanaliHD
believe it or not, i changed the plugs myself tonight. woohooo. didn't have to take off the downpipe. I did have to remove the air filter, turbo, and cross over pipe. Actually wasn't very hard to do once i really looked at it. Got it all back together and realized one of the metal gaskets wasn't sitting right. big exhaust leak.

so, went inside, watched Idol. Went back out. took it all back apart, set the gasket in place(where i thought it should be) put it all back together, fired it up.....................MUCH bigger exhaust leak. I could actually feel it with my hand. I was like What the ****. Then i realized, you idiot, put the o2 sensor back in it's bung. lol

so i did, fired it up again, and alas, still have a leak around that gasket. oh well. now i know how to take it off at least. looks like i'll be doing it at least once more. this time though i'm gonna silicone the gasket in place, let it dry, then reinstall everything.

Oh, all the plugs/wires looked fine. I changed out the PCM too with another one don gave me. Not sure if that fixed anything because i need to fix the gasket problem first.

here's a tip for you turbo guys: don't over tighten the vband clamp. the little bolt WILL snap in half and almost kill you...............twice. lol

Sounds like you had some fun this evening!!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Good to hear that you are getting some wrench time... it will only help you to know your setup. Keep us posted.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Junkie

nice job Dan. Now drive it till the wheels fall off

or at least until there is no rubber on the wheels
Old 03-14-2007, 03:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Look at Dan asending to the role of Tool Bitch!!
Old 03-14-2007, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 8ALTNG
nice job Dan. Now drive it till the wheels fall off

or at least until there is no rubber on the wheels
can't drive it yet. gotta go back out there tonight and take it all apart again. that god damn gasket between the exhaust manifold and the turbo piping is leaking like a ****.

I don't suspect changing the plugs or putting the pcm in will help. So, I'm still banking on a vacuum leak. OR what about EGR or PCV issues? no idea what those things are or where to look for them, lol
Old 03-14-2007, 07:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

can't drive it yet. gotta go back out there tonight and take it all apart again. that god damn gasket between the exhaust manifold and the turbo piping is leaking like a ****.

I don't suspect changing the plugs or putting the pcm in will help. So, I'm still banking on a vacuum leak. OR what about EGR or PCV issues? no idea what those things are or where to look for them, lol
You don't have a PCV or EGR,so no worries there.As for the leak I use orange silicone which is high heat.I'm surprised it is leaking that much.The bolt's have to be tightened evenly to seal right.Probly 1 is too tight which lifted the flange up to cause a leak.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

probably. one of them it a bitch to get to. Oh, and not sure if y'all know, but i am ******* HUGE. i must be. I broke yet another god damn bolt. wtf

I was trying to tighten up the clamp on the bottom part of the wastegate cause it didn't look like it was sitting right. snapped the ******* head right off the bolt. so that's 2 bolts I have to buy. Of course I won't be able to do that until Saturday cause i'm working 8-8 the next 2 days. AWESOME!!!!!!!!
Old 03-14-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Junkie

stop breaking **** while the truck isnt even running
Old 03-14-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 8ALTNG
stop breaking **** while the truck isnt even running
lol, funny you should say that. just 2min ago broke the bolt head off the C clamp holding the crossover pipe together under the truck.

again, GREAT!!!!! the good news is, i can take that turbo off in about 15min time. Lots of practice over the past 2 days.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Dude...You are ******* DANGEROUS with tools!! You got bolt breaking down to a science it seems!
Old 03-15-2007, 08:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

i thought i was bad
Old 03-15-2007, 10:37 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if i was you i would just cry.

you dont need to crank the little wimpy bolts like it's crankshaft bolt. wtf is wrong with you.

keep up posted on what else happens. i'm bored.