Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Give me A Break!!! (super bowl ad)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007 | 07:51 AM
Launching!

Default Give me A Break!!! (super bowl ad)

this just pisses me off:

GM urged to pull suicidal robot ad

Eric Morath / The Detroit News

The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention isn't amused by General Motors Corp.'s Super Bowl ad depicting a despondent robot leaping off a bridge in a dream sequence, and demanded Wednesday that the automaker pull it off the air.

Calling the ad insensitive, the organization also wants GM to remove it from its Web site.

The "ad is insensitive to the tens of millions of people who have lost loved ones to suicide," said Robert Gebbia, executive director of the foundation. "The ad also suggests a troubling and potentially dangerous message that suicide is a logical and rational decision should one experience failure or lose their job."

GM officials said they won't pull or change the ad. It's "a story of GM's commitment to quality It is not intended to offend anyone," spokeswoman Ryndee Carney said.

The commercial opens with a cute, yellow robot dropping a bolt to a factory floor. Because of his mistake, the robot is fired and left to seek service jobs such as a speaker at a fast-food drive-in. In despair, the robot jumps off a bridge, but then wakes up and realizes it's a dream as an announcer says, "Everyone at GM is obsessed with quality."

On Wednesday, the robot and a video of the ad were prominently displayed atop GM's Web site, www.gm.com.

"When you saw those visuals, you had to question the people on the team," Regan said.

"It was not light-hearted and most people watch Super Bowl commercials to be entertained."

It seems you cant do anything anymore wihtout someone bitching...any of you remember the "i have a dream...flying corvette" commercial? ya know the one they said encouraged kids to steal cars?
Old 02-09-2007 | 07:54 AM
Launching!

Gay and lesbian group had snickers pull the man kiss add. I understand the gays cause thier thenthative, but most lesbians I've been around, umm not so much.
Old 02-09-2007 | 08:54 AM
11 Second Club

thats politics fellas. freedom of speech isnt so anymore.
Old 02-09-2007 | 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good news is that GM told them to "Stuff it"
Old 02-09-2007 | 09:07 AM
Launching!

i thought it was a good ad...idk ur right tho there maybe freedom of speech but there is always gonna be someone out there who is going to **** and moan.
Old 02-09-2007 | 09:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

that commercial was funny i thought, gm had a couple good ones
Old 02-09-2007 | 09:23 AM
Launching!

Freedom of speech is slowly dying. Most of it is gone anyway.
Old 02-09-2007 | 03:38 PM
10 Second Club

that snickers commerical was funny as hell

exactly you cant do anything w/out someone or a group getting offended.

-brandon
Old 02-09-2007 | 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Quick....do something manly!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2007 | 04:52 PM
Tech Resident

Ok, why are people saying all this "freedom of speech is dying!" bullshit?

GM makes commercial (free speech), Anti-suicide group complains (free speech), GM then tells them to **** off (more free speech).

I don't see any violations of free speech here, bullshit politics? Sure, more than enough of that to go around... but nothing at all to do with free speech.

BTW... Anyone who doesn't like that commercial should go kill themselves.
Old 02-09-2007 | 06:46 PM
12 Second Club

They have a right to make the commercials and people have the right to bitch about them. I also have the right to call them whiney *****

I thought the Snickers commercials were funny, hell even a few gay friends I have thought it was hilarious. The GM commercial insensitive to suicide?
Old 02-10-2007 | 07:00 AM
Launching!

Because Snickers yanked the commercial. I say it's dead because of the censorship that is in this country, and the fact that more 10 times I heard people saying there should be a limit on free speach during that Kramer ****.

That and people grab lawyers every minute because for some reason think that some where in the constitution it says they have the right to not be offended.
Old 02-10-2007 | 10:23 AM
11 Second Club

**** em if they cant take a joke.