Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

SLP Dyno Days

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

has anyone here signed up? anyone going?
Old 03-02-2007, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Andrew
Competition always changes the level of customer service for the better!
You'd think it'd change pricing too.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

OT....speaking of competition, I have HP Tuners for my car, I need to get it on a dyno and tune it with W/B for WOT fuel and timing with my new setup.

Can anybody recommend a dyno shop that I can go to in the greater NY area (perferrably upstate - orange, rockland, dutchess, or northern NJ) that will charge me less than $100/hr for pulls with w/b?

$200 is utterly ridiculous IMO, I would pay $75/hr at MSP when I lived in MD last year.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by NVigR8
OT....speaking of competition, I have HP Tuners for my car, I need to get it on a dyno and tune it with W/B for WOT fuel and timing with my new setup.

Can anybody recommend a dyno shop that I can go to in the greater NY area (perferrably upstate - orange, rockland, dutchess, or northern NJ) that will charge me less than $100/hr for pulls with w/b?

$200 is utterly ridiculous IMO, I would pay $75/hr at MSP when I lived in MD last year.
If memory serves Eastside was $125/hr with wideband.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sleeperstyle
after thinking about several responses, all of which involve bashing slp- i have decided to simply say that i have NOTHING nice to say about slp, their prices, their products, and their customer service.

no matter how it is cut, 165$ IS a ripoff for a couple dyno pulls- but i don't blame SLP, if suckers will pay it why not charge it? guess the certificate makes it ALL worth it. you get the HONOR of dyno'ing at slp...
You know...I think the only logical reasons that would keep the SLP prices up would be the following:

- all technicians are ASE certified with years of automotive experience. Their hourly rates would drive the service prices up dramatically. So, maybe the SLP technicians make an average of $30+ an hour?
- the standard automotive labor rate for Toms River is significantly higher than even the $95-per-hour labor rate that North Jersey commands. Maybe SLP charges $200-per-hour?
- SLP has degreed professionals such as engineers and accountants working for them and they all command high salaries. Regular speed shops do not need engineers and can hire an independent and much cheaper bookkeeper to maintain their accounting records.

All in all, the above reasons are probably why the SLP prices are up, despite the much cheaper prices/rates that SLP's competition are selling.

Bottomline: SLP will thrive from the sale of quality products. And, with the return of the Camaro, the arrival of the new G8, and future revival of a RWD Impala SS, SLP will have plenty of cars to convert and make more quality parts for.

The bad news: they will not make money from their installation/service side. The knowledgeable and thrifty customers will continue to use TTP, Cartek, Harris Speed Works, etc, to get more value with their money when it comes to parts installations and dyno-tuning. Only the rich people who lives in or around Toms River will use SLP's services.

Last edited by damon_Z; 03-04-2007 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:34 AM
11 Second Club

Very good appraisal.. but one thing:

SLP's profit margin on parts should defray the labor costs.

I think they have a higher operational cost because (in the past) they were the only game in town and are *used* to collecting high profit margins.

Very good post- and SLP's rebuttal????

Originally Posted by damon_Z
You know...I think the only logical reasons that would keep the SLP prices up would be the following:

- all technicians are ASE certified with years of automotive experience. Their hourly rates would drive the service prices up dramatically. So, maybe the SLP technicians make an adverage of $30+ an hour?
- the standard automotive labor rate for Toms River is significantly higher than even the $95-per-hour labor rate that North Jersey commands. Maybe SLP charges $200-per-hour?
- SLP has degreed professionals such as engineers and accountants working for them and they all command high salaries. Regular speed shops do not need engineers and can hire an independent and much cheaper bookkeeper to maintain their accounting records.

All in all, the above reasons are probably why the SLP prices are up, despite the much cheaper prices/rates that SLP's competition are selling.

Bottomline: SLP will thrive from the sale of quality products. And, with the return of the Camaro, the arrival of the new G8, and future revival of a RWD Impala SS, SLP will have plenty of cars to convert and make more quality parts for.

The bad news: they will not make money from their installation/service side. The knowledgeable and thrifty customers will continue to use TTP, Cartek, Harris Speed Works, etc, to get more value with their money when it comes to parts installations and dyno-tuning. Only the rich people who lives in or around Toms River will use SLP's services.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:38 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by damon_Z

- all technicians are ASE certified with years of automotive experience. Their hourly rates would drive the service prices up dramatically. So, maybe the SLP technicians make an adverage of $30+ an hour?

damon_Z,

All of your points are valid and true and it will be tough for SLP to compete with smaller shops but not impossible. Although, our Labor Rate IS $95.00/hr in the shop which is competitive with shops in the area, save for Harris Speed Works on only some items like header installs which we have lowered to be more competitive. I can tell you we will do everything we can to be more competitive with dyno rates for future dyno days.

All of our techs are ASE certified and require not only certification but high scores as well.

Thank you very much for your input and opinions. We are listening.

Hank
Old 03-04-2007, 09:41 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mr. B
Very good appraisal.. but one thing:

SLP's profit margin on parts should defray the labor costs.

I think they have a higher operational cost because (in the past) they were the only game in town and are *used* to collecting high profit margins.

Very good post- and SLP's rebuttal????
Rebuttal already posted.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:45 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SLPPower
Rebuttal already posted.
Damn- that was fast!
Old 03-04-2007, 09:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mr. B
Damn- that was fast!
Trust me we are trying our hardest to make the install shop and dyno days an ultimate success. 7 days a week.

We want to provide our customers with everything they need from parts to service to testing at a competitive rate.

And we want everyones feedback, it will only help.

Thanks
Hank
Old 03-06-2007, 08:06 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Good Morning All,

We had a cancellation this morning on one dyno slot. If anyone is interested in filling this last spot please call Don Stellhorn at 732-240-3696 ext 135.

Thanks
Hank
Old 03-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New Camaro

Is SLP actively involved in the new Camaro? Will your company convert SS models like you did in Canada during the last production?

Just curious.....
Old 03-06-2007, 07:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 99Andrew
Is SLP actively involved in the new Camaro? Will your company convert SS models like you did in Canada during the last production?

Just curious.....

No - SLP Engineering no longer exists. SLP Performance Parts however will produce parts for the car when the production model hits the showrooms.

-Dave