Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

NY Driver Responsibility Assessment Fees

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by allblackedout5
If you have not paid your responsibility assessment your license in NYS will remain suspended until it is paid. Once a suspension is issued there are additional fees added to "lift" or "clear" the suspension along with the original fines that were owed. I do not think you owe $900, I think it is $100 per year for 3 years or a total of $300. The $300 fines are typically for violations such as speeding, leaving the scene of an accident, etc... Alcohol or Drug related driving offenses carry a $250/per year or $750 total responsibility assessment and for repeat offenders those fines increase.
I was charged with a DWI (sorry everybody) about 11 or 12 years ago and I had to pay the assessment.

For those of you who get a ticket in NY, do your best to try and plead not guilty and show up for the court date. Yeah it sucks, and yeah you'll have to take off of work, but every ticket I've got - and every ticket anyone I know has ever gotten - is reduced at the court house. At least that goes for the lower-ish portion of the state. They just want your money and they want it fast. You meet with the officer, they negotiate a lower charge, often with no points. Then the the judge issues an expensive fng ticket along with a ridiculous "surcharge", they fk you and your wallet right in the *** and then tell you to have a good day.

Been that way since I got my license in the 90's. Just a little bit longer ago than this thread was started.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
I was charged with a DWI (sorry everybody) about 11 or 12 years ago and I had to pay the assessment.

For those of you who get a ticket in NY, do your best to try and plead not guilty and show up for the court date. Yeah it sucks, and yeah you'll have to take off of work, but every ticket I've got - and every ticket anyone I know has ever gotten - is reduced at the court house. At least that goes for the lower-ish portion of the state. They just want your money and they want it fast. You meet with the officer, they negotiate a lower charge, often with no points. Then the the judge issues an expensive fng ticket along with a ridiculous "surcharge", they fk you and your wallet right in the *** and then tell you to have a good day.

Been that way since I got my license in the 90's. Just a little bit longer ago than this thread was started.
LOL I know very old thread, but I read it and figured I'd toss my two cents in, people may need it later...

Hey man what can ya do, it happens to many many many people. Common thing unfortunately... Doesn't mean anything about you except you got caught once and so many others have not.

Very odd that you meet with the officer near you though... anything in upstate NY (thought it was all of NY) is met with an ADA prosecutor, the officer has no further involvement with prosecution of any tickets past issuing said ticket here unless the offender takes said ticket to a trial rather than settle with the reduction offered when pleading not guilty or just plain pleading guilty. At that point the only involvement the officer would have would be to testify regarding the details of the issuance of the ticket. Completely agree though, if you have even a remotely clean license history, plead not guilty and come back. You will almost always get a reduction to something involving no points and a reduced fine. They just want the money. Each ticket holds a fine, a state surcharge, and a local court surcharge. Everyone gets paid in NY, except the residents.

Quick Reply: NY Driver Responsibility Assessment Fees