Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Beautiful day to get a couple tickets. Love my fairfax county!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 04:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, i know i shouldnt, sometimes it just rubs me the wrong way.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arctic, man sorry to hear about the tickets. It's been my experience that the front tag thing is a big red flag with most cops in VA & MD, I have yet to get any hassels when the tag is displayed & you have heard my car.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:35 PM
9 Second Club

What is the cost of the ticket. I understand you have an argument but is it worth the cost of the ticket.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sometimes you have to eat you pride and "yes sir" the **** out of police officers and pet their ego, and you will get off 99% of the time. And remember that they may be having a shitty divorce going on right now and the last guy he pulled over was a total *******... and he is looking for some to **** with. May not be true but just tread lightly, be overly polite and don't question their authority, they may feel the need to exercise it.

My brother is a police officer and he is not the type to bust *****, but he is not afraid to ticket some punk that is talking back and being an ***, not saying you were but just something to think about.

He would rather give warnings, less paperwork

Last edited by 04BlackSilverado; 03-23-2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

"On the front license plate ticket, my driver’s license ID is wrong. One digit is wrong"

If the information on the ticket is not 100% accurate it will be dismissed.

As for the exhaust being too loud, it will be "HIS" word against yours.

You will lose that argument. So, bring your checkbook.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nasty350LT1
"On the front license plate ticket, my driver’s license ID is wrong. One digit is wrong"

If the information on the ticket is not 100% accurate it will be dismissed.

As for the exhaust being too loud, it will be "HIS" word against yours.

You will lose that argument. So, bring your checkbook.
It's definitely his word against mine and on both tickets he spelled my name with a wrong letter as well. But, that's besides the point...

I did "yes, sir" with every answer to the officer's questions as I always do. I do that just out of respect, not to boost up their ego or anything of the sort. I respect those in law enforcement, which is why I have a hard time dealing with those who do not reciprocate it. What began as a simple conversation, turned into a bit of an argument back and forth because the officer began with the "I don't have to tell you the law" stuff. I know he doesn't, I just figured it would be out of respect for the people that he serves to at least explain what was wrong other than "you're getting a ticket for this". I'm not sure how much the tickets are, but that's a moot point. It's not about the money. It's about the principal. Maybe if more people questioned authority (in a completely healthy way as I did my best to during the ticketing) a lot more cops wouldn't be so quick to write the tickets for this kind of stuff just because they're having a slow or bad day. And, if this sounds like I think I only got the ticket b/c the cop was a douche, then I would suggest rereading my posts.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

He is a cop, end of story. I never understand that mentality, cops bring this hate on themselves. By giving you a 3 sentence explanation and telling you what you would need to do to get the ticket dropped/reduced, he could have completely changed how you felt about this situation....but he opted to be.....an ***....
Old 03-24-2007, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

He could have certainly dealt with the situation better, but let's please stay away from the bad cop vs. the world stuff. That is not why I started this thread. It was just to vent and try and get as much helpful info as possible. I don't want this to end up being locked for those reasons. Yes, many cops can be a-hole's, but that is true for any group of people you are forced to come into contact with against your will.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, good luck however u decide to handle it man.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Launching!

Ah, another wonderful story of harassment by the Fairfax county police. I remember one of them pulling me over near Ft. Belvoir when i was stationed there. He apparently pulled me over for following too close. I am like it is rush hour traffic, how can anybody not follow to close. After wasting my time for 30 minutes, he let me go
Old 03-25-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

These guys were camping out and having a hay-day for tickets. There was no getting out of this one, and I knew it by the way he just approached the car and immediately started talking down to me.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

i heard fairfax county is the worse county to get a ticket in.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would definately fight it in court. I live in Chesterfield and the cops are just as big of ******** as in Fredericsburg. I have gotten about 10 tickets for exhaust and no front tag. Only 1 front plate ticket stuck and none of the exhaust tickets.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

In my experience, cops will not normally pull you over for "your exhaust is too loud". It is usually for something else like "no front license plate", which then turns into that plus "your exhaust is too loud" plus "your window tint is too dark" etc... This is just something that I have noticed. My recent bad experience- Got pulled over doing 81 in a 65 and the trooper said "I am giving you a warning". I said thanks and he jumped all over me like I was being a smartass. I really was thankful that he gave me a warning and not a ticket, but he acted extremely indignant like I was trying to be an *** when I was trying to be respectful. I believe it is the napoleon complex and they should not be held liable for their actions as this is surely a valid medical condition.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I've passed countless cops head on in plain view of my lack of a plate, and driving faster/louder than I was with no troubles. It was obvious they were on the prowl for anything they could get.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:20 AM
Teching In

There is definately a double-standard between motorcycles, semi's, and passenger vehicles. CA is the only state that has an actual db level to correspond with this law. It is soley up to the discretion of the law officer. Keep in mind, as stated before, that you have no idea what the heck the guy has had to put up with before you (I grew up around law enforcement, it's in my family). People think they know all kinds of laws i.e. a cop can't give you a ticket if he is going the opposite way, a cop can't give you a ticket if he was sitting with his lights off, a cop can't shoot you if you brandish a knife in front of him. It's no effing joke out there, I've been in high-risk security settings, there is a totally different mindset when you are the other person. And when someone who asks the question "where is your decibel meter" to a cop all they are going to get is a jackass response. I would too. I'm sure you didn't mean to insult the guy, just show up to court, state your case, and hope for the best.

With all that said, VA and GA cops are the worst in the nation, just something you have to live with. If you don't like it, then vote for a new sheriff (when was the last time you did vote for a sheriff?).
Old 03-26-2007, 04:49 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

slug a stock catback on it, drive it to the court and tell them that they can come outside for 2 min and hear the car and make an educated decision. Have someone you know with a harley outside that day, and have them fire it up when you walk outside with the cop and judge... and then point out after it was started... you can't even hear it over the motorcycle that just left. If they aren't willing to do that... then make a video of the car starting, and a harley then starting next to it and submit that as evidence.. that might work too. Another possible solution: ask to have the car tested with a DB meter, and before you do that, drill a hole thru the back tips and shove a couple steel woll pads in and use a bolt thru the hole to hold them in for a temporary fix. That also works, ask how I know LOL. 4 steel woll pads in each side is about 10 db quieter... at least when I tried it.

Ticket = bye bye

I once had a ticket for travelling too fast, no radar. I went to court with a tennis ball in my pocket. I asked the cop that if he saw me go by and knew I was going too fast, I asked if he could tell me how fast the tennis ball would be travelling if I threw it. The judge got a little pissed.. but the cop said "no, I have no idea how fast that would be going"....... and everyone heard him, including the judge who then gave the cop a dirty look, and threw the ticket out.

If you can obviously make the cop look like a fool, which you will be able to do with the ticket info being wrong and by showing the car not to be loud... you'll be all set.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'll be calling a family friend lawyer this week to see what angles I could possibly take. My name spelled wrong and one of my digits on my license being wrong should hopefully help.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:32 AM
Staging Lane

I've never had much respect for most cops. Too many of them buy into the police-state philosophy. The role of the government (and hence, cops) is to protect our rights and freedoms. That's why their motto is "to serve and protect." That's why we have cops pulling people over for speeding, license plate, etc, etc. instead of actually protecting people. I suppose that's the price our society pays for creating a profession that draws primarily from the lower-educated segment of the population, giving them guns, "power," LOTS of free time, and a commision to make money for the state.

All that being said, there are of course cops that actually do represent the people. Unfortunately, they are in the minority.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:53 AM
TECH Resident

I have tons of respect for cops (seeing as how I plan to be one someday.. in fairfax, lol) and in all my cases except one, I pretty much got what I had comin to me. I mean, you gotta know that if you got a 408 with 1k into exhaust that its gonna be loud . I know my car is too loud, i know i dont have a front plate on, i know when im speeding when i shouldnt be and I have owned my bird since 04 and havent gotten one single front plate ticket and plenty of cops have just merely flashed their lights at me if i was goin a bit too fast, so I guess I've just had it well off in FFX. I always see/hear people complain about ffx, but to me they are reasonable and straightforward. I personally would never ask a cop about the sound decible max cause I dont need to know it to figure that my car is too loud, ya know? I have a feeling with your 408 that you could probably figure the same. The cop was probably thinkin the same thing (which is no excuse to be rude when u just simply ask a question).