Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Need help with NY state inspection

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ojustracing
Brad that is 100% correct. His big issue is that he is missing every emission device and then needs a waiver on top of that. DMV is **** at audit times about these. Im trying to help him offline but yes you are correct at trying to find a shop that will do this. Me included.

John
I tried giving him some info to try and help him. But he's in a bad pickle with this car.

Like I said DMV is **** with Waivers, I just did one 3wk's ago and DMV stopped in today check on this particular waiver and went over all the paper work with a fine tooth comb...... and quizing me why I did what I did.

John
Old 04-04-2007, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

Angry

I tried giving him some info to try and help him. But he's in a bad pickle with this car.

Like I said DMV is **** with Waivers, I just did one 3wk's ago and DMV stopped in today check on this particular waiver and went over all the paper work with a fine tooth comb...... and quizing me why I did what I did.

John
I hate New York
Old 04-04-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Regular

Its not just NY, 20-30 other states use these same test Procedure. I Dont know if he said what he is running. But he is running an aftermarket Piggy back fuel injection controller(Fast?). I can see the deal with no emission equipment, but the inop check engine light and bypassed OEM computetr parts is the Worst of it. Dont leave me alot of options to help him.

John
Old 04-04-2007, 10:46 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

96SCTA, I didnt realize that you moved back to the area I moved to West Henrietta last summer.

Hit me up when you get back from your trip.

Thanks, Jason
Old 04-04-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anything is possible. I have a .....friend..... that got a sticker without even having his car move from his garage. My friend never told me how he got it done.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:10 PM
TECH Regular

Hey Freaky I know exacltly how it can be done. Its just only a matter of time when DMV comes knocking at the door..

John
Old 04-05-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

in NYS first your going to have to pass the safety inspection. then the gas cap check (make sure its there and the restrictor is there) then your gonna have to pass an ECD check (environmental control device) this is your gas cap, evap system, EGR, air pump, three-way catalytic convertor, and then your going to have to be plugged into the NYVIP (ny vehicle inspection program) and have your check engine light checked, meaning the circuit has to work, then it will check to make sure that your monitors have run. Since your car is older than 2 years, it will be able to pass with 2 monitors "not ready," but no monitor can fail. This means any check engine light that has to do with any emissions device and you will automatically fail.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by freakynipples69
Anything is possible. I have a .....friend..... that got a sticker without even having his car move from his garage. My friend never told me how he got it done.

a sticker is easy to aquire, especailly if you have a friend, or work yourself for an inspection station...it just sucks if it ever gets scanned and says "1997 ford ranger" and its sitting pretty on your 2001 trans am
Old 04-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Launching!

Look into the "race car" registration or whatever it is. My buddie was thinking about doing that. It's probaly a lot of bullshit you have to go through but it will be better than parting your car out and getting rid of it. And yes NY state are ******* about the waiver deal. My father almost got in a **** load of trouble becasue of my car from one of those things.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by delsold
a sticker is easy to aquire, especailly if you have a friend, or work yourself for an inspection station...it just sucks if it ever gets scanned and says "1997 ford ranger" and its sitting pretty on your 2001 trans am
Why would you do that. Just scan in the 01 and then plug the obd scanner into the 97 ford ranger. But when DMV comes a knocking be ready to ante-up. I did my first waiver the 3 wks ago and wow wouldnt you know some new inspector was in the other day. I had my regular audit 3month's ago. He wasnt at my machine 1 min and was printing waiver items out.

John
Old 04-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

your registration will not get revoked for no inspection. The fee for a ticket depends on the town you get stopped in usually $65 court fee , $65 for the fine.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why would you do that. Just scan in the 01 and then plug the obd scanner into the 97 ford ranger. But when DMV comes a knocking be ready to ante-up. I did my first waiver the 3 wks ago and wow wouldnt you know some new inspector was in the other day. I had my regular audit 3month's ago. He wasnt at my machine 1 min and was printing waiver items out.

John
it's been almost a year already so I doubt anyone will be come knocking my friends door. And who the hell is going to scan the sticker? Cops love my friends car car. They are always asking him to pop the hood.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok im back from my trip, A old friend Is going to get me a sticker. If i get scanned ill be screwd, but thats the best i can do. it will never pass legaly. So ill slap it on and just give the cop who pulls me over somthing better to worry about then inspection. Like why was i doing 180mph in a 55. Inspection will be last thing on his mind ... lol

Thankyou all for your help, And if anyone ever finds a legal way to get a sticker let us all know.

Jason short, I live in avon now im guessing about 10 minutes from you, We will have to go out crusin this summer
Old 04-22-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by freakynipples69
it's been almost a year already so I doubt anyone will be come knocking my friends door. And who the hell is going to scan the sticker? Cops love my friends car car. They are always asking him to pop the hood.
Hey Freaky I never saw your reply to this. I was refering to the shop doing the inspection. Good luck in your search.

John

Quick Reply: Need help with NY state inspection