Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Need help with NY state inspection

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with NY state inspection

Hey guys i just moved back to ny state (south of rochester) and now i need to get my car inspected for this summer. Now Ny Is really enforceing the inspection laws so no shops will pass me, ( i have no egr,no cats, no stock computer, and a race tune) Do guys know any shops that can help some one like me out , or have any advice as how i pull of an inspection. I dont want to spend all the money that it would take to pass. And if it comes down to that ill just sell the car..... NY STATE
Old 03-27-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ny state is easy to pass. Make sure there are no codes being thrown all you have to do is pass the OBS2 test. To pass the cat test just take the shells off of a set of cats and weld them to the pipes so it looks like there are cats installed. The shop i went do didnt even pop my hood, they just checked for cats, i had fakes on and it passed.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:05 AM
TECH Regular

So what do you mean by non stock computer? Is It still the stock computer but with Programming? Is the check engine light on? I might be able to help you. But Im not close.. Pm me.

John
Old 03-28-2007, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

what i mean is the stock compuer is byepassed, im running a fast system so my engine light is on and im sure throwing all kinds of codes becasue half the wires have been cut and spliced into the fast system. I also have no muffler becasue the turbo is my muffler. So it will not pass an ob2 test. Not in a million years. Anymore ideas
Old 03-28-2007, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ive herd and not sure its true that their is some type of insurace or registration to where u say its a show car or custom car and as long as u only drive it a xxx miles per year that they can give a sticker.. Any truth to that.. Im gettind desperate now lol
Old 03-28-2007, 09:12 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your fucked.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 96SCTA
what i mean is the stock compuer is byepassed, im running a fast system so my engine light is on and im sure throwing all kinds of codes becasue half the wires have been cut and spliced into the fast system. I also have no muffler becasue the turbo is my muffler. So it will not pass an ob2 test. Not in a million years. Anymore ideas
Youre fucked on passing an inspection.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ive herd and not sure its true that their is some type of insurace or registration to where u say its a show car or custom car and as long as u only drive it a xxx miles per year that they can give a sticker.. Any truth to that.. Im gettind desperate now lol
I dont think they do that in NY.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol i know im screwd.... well i guess i register it drive on the 10day temp sticker they give. And only drive it at night. ha ha ha . Maybe its time to part the car out. And start saving for the new 2009 car.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll sell you my windshield.....it has a good sticker on there.

JK of course. You need to find a buddy at a new car dealership. They have the generic DMV ones that doesn't have all your info printed on it.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol ill start following people home that work at the dealer ships and be like hey man wanna be best freinds..

One place said my only chance was to try to register my car as a 95. But not sure how to pull that off either since i would need to change the title. Now i need a buddy in the dmv also..
Old 03-28-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 69TA
I'll sell you my windshield.....it has a good sticker on there.

JK of course. You need to find a buddy at a new car dealership. They have the generic DMV ones that doesn't have all your info printed on it.
Every sticker is numbered and is assigned to the car........ Im trying to give him some idea once I finish up some stuff here at work...... He might be able to get a wavier but its going to cost him, 450 bucks in parts and the shop needs to see and hold onto the reciets. But the sticker is only good for one yr.....

John
Old 03-28-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmm 450dollars to get a wavier. ill wait till your done at work for more info on that.. If its my last and only option ill do it. Anyone know what the fine is for driving with expired sticker?
Old 03-28-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you dont make it through inspection your registration will be revoked too.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Regular

Man dont get him all worked up yet!!!!!!lol
Old 03-28-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by brad8266
If you dont make it through inspection your registration will be revoked too.

Say what? Even if i do wavier? need more info please
Old 03-28-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Say what? Even if i do wavier? need more info please
if you can get a waiver you will be good to go. Good luck getting a waiver.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Inspection Waiver Requirements from the DMV

Inspection Waiver. A vehicle that is required to have the OBDII inspection can qualify for a waiver if:

The vehicle fails the OBDII inspection, but passes the safety inspection, the gas cap check, and the visual inspection of the emission control devices, and
The vehicle receives repairs that are related to the failure of the OBDII inspection and the cost of the repairs is at least $450, and
The vehicle does not pass the OBDII inspection during a reinspection.
The waiver is valid for one year.

After the reinspection, the inspector enters the repair information that you provide into the NYVIP equipment. The NYVIP equipment then notifies the inspector if the vehicle qualifies for a waiver. If the vehicle qualifies, the inspector can use the NYVIP equipment to print a waiver form. You must sign the waiver form, and the inspector must sign the waiver form. The inspection station keeps the waiver form and other documents related to the waiver. The inspector then issues your inspection sticker, and the sticker is valid for one year.

To qualify for a waiver:

You must have the inspection report from the original NYVIP inspection station.
The inspection report must show that your vehicle failed the original OBDII test, but that your vehicle passed the safety inspection, the gas cap check, and the visual inspection of the emission control devices.
The emissions control system of your vehicle must be intact. The system must not show any evidence of tampering.
You must have work orders and receipts that prove that repairs related to the vehicle emissions system were completed at a NYS-licensed repair shop. The work orders and the receipts must prove that the cost of the repairs, parts and labor, was at least $450. If you complete the repairs yourself, the calculation of the cost of the repairs includes only the cost of the parts that were used and does not include any amount for your labor.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:27 AM
TECH Regular

Brad that is 100% correct. His big issue is that he is missing every emission device and then needs a waiver on top of that. DMV is **** at audit times about these. Im trying to help him offline but yes you are correct at trying to find a shop that will do this. Me included.

John
Old 03-29-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thankyou guys for your help, I will have to think this over for a few weeks. But its looking more and more like i will need to part the car out or sell it for a drag car.

lol anyone want to buy a car they cant drive on the road....
<-- me in drive way

Well im leaving for flordia for a few weeks vacation(in a few hrs). Ill think it over. thankyou all for your imput. If i come up with anything ill let u guy know

Quick Reply: Need help with NY state inspection