Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Quick PA inspection question

Old 05-31-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
So what's involved with the safety inspection, just out of curiousity.
Brakes, lights, tires, suspension, exhaust condition, body condition, ect.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Safety Equipment (horn, seatbelts, E-brake, flashers, Headlights, taillights)

Brake system (pad thickness, rotor condition, ABS functional, shoe condition)..however there is no inspection of the fluid quality, just leaks.

Suspension, etc. (tire wear, balljoint condition, sway bar secure, shocks/struts/springs)... the bump stop is a important part.. it must be there.

Body Condition (no protrusions, bumpers acceptable, frame must be sound and secure, no rusted floor panels or frame components to a degree)

Technically there is very little on a car that you can alter and have it still legal. For instance the Halo headlights many people put on our cars, if the ring lights up when the headlights are on, it fails. With many aftermarket items even if they are DOT approved the tech can fail it for little things.

If a car comes with it from the factory it is legally an inspection item, cars with ABS must still have ABS, cars without ABS will never need ABS to pass inspection. Cars with airbags need airbags to pass, cars without will never need airbags to pass. etc.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drive mine less than 5K a year and its emissions exempt. I know. This doesn't help.

Search this Thread