Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

10$ item- big help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 02:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 10$ item- big help!

I've experienced a problem with my car hunting for the idle.. then idling down slowly.. and it has driven me crazy with datalogging with SCT and a Snap-On tool. Idle air control? Throttle body screw? Vacuum Leak? Goofy tune?

Then-

I had to replace the grommet for the filler tube, so while I had the tank down, decided to replace a $10 dollar item:

It had some rust and even with the right fuel line release plastic tool it took some work.. it even had a bit of a kink- nothing much.

Filled the car back up- same 93 Octane stuff- and whoaaaaa!!!!!!

IDLE is now almost rock steady, despite the cam(s) and othe mods!

I nailed it in 1st gear and it fried the Kumho's to a crisp!!!!!!

I guess the moral of the story is.. change you fuel filters every so often!
Old 06-09-2007, 10:49 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I try and do them every 3rd oil change which turns out to be about once a year since I change the oil based on time and not mileage.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I try and do them every 3rd oil change which turns out to be about once a year since I change the oil based on time and not mileage.
I'm wondering if the addition of 10% ethanol effects the filters and grommets.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:32 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Oh yeah...I always tell anyone that's just bought a higher mileage used car or even someone that has neglected their car that they bought new to change that fuel filter along with the plugs and wires etc...it's potentially the cheapest/easiest yet most overlooked item to swap (on most cars) that can also solve a series of ailments in one's vehicle.

Originally Posted by Mr. B
Also a good point.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:03 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. B
The 10% ethanol doesn't have much of an impact on fairly new cars (1990's onward). The fuel system on today's cars is pretty chemical resistant when it comes to ethanol/methanol being added as oxygenates. Gotta remember, we used to oxygenate with MTBE (methyl-tert-butyl ether) until the EPA had a shitfit over it, and MTBE is some pretty nasty stuff. The biggest adversity to the ethanol is it's ability to attract water. But if you drive your car frequently enough it's not an issue, and if you are less than a weekend warrior, a can of dry gas or adding some 3-6 oz of acetone per tank will help out that.

The filters are usually a paper material and not impacted by ethanol. What you need to watch is the particulates in the gasoline.