Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Magnaflow

Slowhawk was right, all I needed was a Magnaflow by itself and my car is instantly quieter. I believe I had a small exhaust leak in my Corsa since there was a little bit of carbon dust/dirt on the outside of the connection between the over-the-axle and I-pipe.

In any case, all anyone ever really needs in most cases is a Magnaflow when it comes to new exhausts. It's cheap and sounds great, and I don't feel like as much of a tool when I step on it on backroads as I did with my Corsa You can pay twice as much if you feel like it and get a worse sounding exhaust with slightly nicer tips that will just get dirty eventually anyways, or buy a Magnaflow.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Corsa works fine, mind you it will be louder with out cats. Mine with my highflow Dynatechs sound like stock till bout 3k then get louder. Unless the exhaust is fully welded you always get exhaust leaks, some companys use high temp RTV to avoid this.

Your tips are dirty because you dont clean them. You have a rich tune, or you didnt have cats. Even with my cats, stock tune and bolt ons get a lil soot on them.

GL with the Magnaflow.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mangnaflow rocks!
Old 06-20-2007, 01:31 PM

magnaflow is great system, especially when the car is pretty stock
when you get headers and a cam and make some good power when you jump on it moms will be picking their kids off the sidewalks cus your car will sound like a MONSTER coming to get them it will be LOUD at WOT but great around town normal driving
Old 06-20-2007, 01:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
My Corsa works fine, mind you it will be louder with out cats. Mine with my highflow Dynatechs sound like stock till bout 3k then get louder. Unless the exhaust is fully welded you always get exhaust leaks, some companys use high temp RTV to avoid this.

Your tips are dirty because you dont clean them. You have a rich tune, or you didnt have cats. Even with my cats, stock tune and bolt ons get a lil soot on them.

GL with the Magnaflow.
wait till you do a H/C setup. Makes the Corsa sound like crap inside the car.
Magnaflow works.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:44 PM
11 Second Club

So if the Magnaflow is quieter than the corsa it should definately make my car quieter huh?

It's getting pretty loud for the street. I might go with the Magnaflow/cutout route. Even though I love my exhaust.

It's only gonna take me 1 ticket.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

I will be going to a magnaflow setup once I get my car back on the road. Ill sell the catback to someone with no other exhaust mods done to the car. They will be able to appreciate it. Bark is one thing MegaBark (gmmg/lt/ory) is a totally different ballgame.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Junkie

I never really liked the magnaflow wot sound but Definately 400% better then corsa I just got the hooker and although alittle louder then the magnaflow it sounds great.

Bryan I suggest you still get a muffler in your I pipe cause you will still probably be too loud for there restrictions at wot.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Slowhawk was right, all I needed was a Magnaflow by itself and my car is instantly quieter. I believe I had a small exhaust leak in my Corsa since there was a little bit of carbon dust/dirt on the outside of the connection between the over-the-axle and I-pipe.

In any case, all anyone ever really needs in most cases is a Magnaflow when it comes to new exhausts. It's cheap and sounds great, and I don't feel like as much of a tool when I step on it on backroads as I did with my Corsa You can pay twice as much if you feel like it and get a worse sounding exhaust with slightly nicer tips that will just get dirty eventually anyways, or buy a Magnaflow.
it will get louder as time goes on. i have had mine on for about two weeks now and its definatly louder than when i first put it on but its still pretty quiet. i am much more happy with it than i was with my lm1
Old 06-20-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by My84Z
I never really liked the magnaflow wot sound but Definately 400% better then corsa I just got the hooker and although alittle louder then the magnaflow it sounds great.

Bryan I suggest you still get a muffler in your I pipe cause you will still probably be too loud for there restrictions at wot.
If I get flagged again, I'll get a bullet put on there. I want a different car for autox soon anyway because my Camaro is hard to compete in SM with.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:12 PM
TECH Regular

I like my Magnaflow also. I really hate the tips though. They look ok on a TA or Formula, but they look like **** on a Camaro. We'll see how it performs with the 408 motor pretty soon. I might do true duals if the Magnaflow shows a significant restriction. I also have a custom Mufflex system with a Magnaflow straight through muffler that I could use also. Decisions decisions...
Old 06-20-2007, 04:54 PM
CT Hotness

i changed from a loudmouth to magnaflow. i couldn't be any happier
Old 06-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
wait till you do a H/C setup. Makes the Corsa sound like crap inside the car.
Magnaflow works.

I used this exact same exhaust on a 383 H/C, full bolt on and Long tube LT1 motor sans cats, Loved the sound, really loud, couldnt be happier but it was a cop magnet, but with out cats, cops always looked at it.

http://www.mainstreamtopics.com/~scr...whp%20dyno.WMV
Old 06-21-2007, 07:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup I just recently switched to the magnaflow too, couldnt be happier. Still might put a cutout on it though, just to be a loud ******* when I want to be
Old 06-21-2007, 07:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
I used this exact same exhaust on a 383 H/C, full bolt on and Long tube LT1 motor sans cats, Loved the sound, really loud, couldnt be happier but it was a cop magnet, but with out cats, cops always looked at it.

http://www.mainstreamtopics.com/~scr...whp%20dyno.WMV
LT1's sound totally different than LS1's.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:33 AM
TECH Junkie

With heads/cam, the Corsa made my car sound a lot more like a monster truck, when the Magnaflow makes it sound more like a musclecar.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:27 AM
TECH Resident

LT1 is a true sbc IMO. Intake style and exhaust pulses are very similar to an iron block/alum headed sbc. The exhaust notes are totally different, Aaron. Not really much can compare to an ls1 in terms of exhaust note.

*Im not saying that ls1s are better, but Im just saying its like comparing apples to oranges*
Old 06-21-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Justins00ss
Yup I just recently switched to the magnaflow too, couldnt be happier. Still might put a cutout on it though, just to be a loud ******* when I want to be
label the switch for the cutout the "******* mode" lol
Old 06-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Launching!

I went from a Magnaflow to Corsa - the Magnaflow definately sounds better than the Corsa and it's not as heavy either!
Old 06-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Internet Mechanic

I think exhaust are like women, we all got all our preferences, Of course LS1's sound different, different metal used, head design, port spacing, LS1's in general sound like ***, I guess its a point to make it sound less assy.