Old 06-25-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LS1>>>>(leaps and bounds) DSM
Old 06-25-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Blacked Out
Hey Jimmy first off welcome to the LS1 club. Secondly are you by chance the same Jimmy from CCDSM? You had a non turbo eclipse then turboed it? If so I swear you have to be the smartest guy ever, cause we did the same thing. I had a GS eclipse with a big turbo on it and then eventually moved on to the LS1 too!

lol, niiice! Yea that's me, took me long enough to figure out that ls1's are where it's at, lol. I went from that to a 1g awd, went through a few dif. turbo's and was never really happy, took a break from the whole hobby until I got a ride in a couple of friends v8's and realized I wanted a v8, and that's when I heard ls1's were touched by the hand of god, lol.

After talking with a friend of mine and doing some research, I think my course of mods will be (and this will be spanned out, little by little at a time so I don't throw all my money into cars like I did before), I am thinking longtube headers with y-pipe (no cat's), open cutout, lid, ls6 intake mani, then cam and heads. I think I've covered the important bolt on's before stepping up to heads and cam package, if not any help is appreciated. And inbetween I will get a tranny cooler but i'm not sure when I want to get a stall in the car because I'd be very worried about the rear end.

Blacked out, what turbo did you have on the nt, and how much boost were you running? That's pretty interesting I didn't know of any other turbo nt around at the time, I was always hoping to find another person with one back then.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was running a super 20G at about 17psi. Actually the day I picked up my vette my cousin drove down with me in the eclipse and we raced on 84 after I bought the vette and he whooped me. Boy I was pissed at first then I realized my new car was light years better lol. I was so happy to be out of that eclipse and into a real car it wasnt even funny. Although in fairness there are quite a few bad *** DSMs out there.

That sounds like a darn good list of mods but I know a lot of guys get higher stalls with the autos. Talk with some people with autos before you rule out getting a new converter sooner than you think. Me being an M6 I have not good info to give you on them.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

If I could give one piece of advice, don't get a cheap stall. Get something that can be adjusted or at least has a decent warranty. Nothing like cheap broken parts that only saved you a few bucks in the beginning. Look at my mods list and ask me why the only thing I ever broke on my car was my gears. Everything was top notch. Gears, well thats because the 7.5" pinion put a damn lot of torque on a tiny gear face of the ring and just shredded 3 sets of them.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Specialized
Jimmy, I have a GMMG and an SLP lid which I will sell. Dry nitrous kit too. Let me know if you want/ need anything.

I also sell replacement brakes for front and read- lifetime warranty on pads.
Do you still have that GMMG? I believe that will also fit 93-97 birdies or am I mistaken? I live over in New Milford and wouldnt mind the trip to pick it up
Old 06-25-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

P1415 is usually the driver's side air system check valve, which is in the pipe that goes into the driver's side exhaust manifold. It is easy to remove and you can get it at Autozone for about $12. You can check it by removing it and trying to blow through it in the direction of airflow (towards the manifold).
Old 06-26-2007, 05:35 AM
On The Tree

Welcome! Heres where you can find out what the GMMG would sound like stock, or with headers, etc. Where are you located?
Old 06-26-2007, 08:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Formula413
P1415 is usually the driver's side air system check valve, which is in the pipe that goes into the driver's side exhaust manifold. It is easy to remove and you can get it at Autozone for about $12. You can check it by removing it and trying to blow through it in the direction of airflow (towards the manifold).
Yeah I had bought the check valve yesterday but damn it's on so tight. I can't get it off, I've already bent the pipe that's attached to it, i'm gonna have to try again after work but geez it pissed me off yesterday.

edit: I can't get this ******* thing off for the life of me. I'm gonna try to pb blast it again and let it soak in, hopefully. wow that ****** just won't budge.

Last edited by jimmy169; 06-26-2007 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Regular

GOT IT! Came off easy this time, guess pb blaster really gets the job done. I changed the check valve but the check engine light didn't go off. Is that because it take's some time for the check engine light to come off if the problem is fixed or because there's another problem altogather and the check valve wasn't it. When I checked for the code, I didn't reset it, i didn't know if once it's fixed if it goes off right away or if u have to reset it.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Well that was pretty dumb, I forgot the link:

http://www.ls1sounds.com/gmmg.htm
Old 06-26-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

Just go to advance or autozone and have the code reset. I also have my own personal scanner if you would like to take the short ride to southington when I get out of work. If I had it with me, Id offer to come meet you up on the pike.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

When I replaced mine I started the car up and the light went out in a few minutes just sitting there idling. You might have a different problem, was the old check valve definitely blocked up? There also could be a blockage where the pipe threads into the manifolds, try getting that off (it will be on there like a ****) and making sure there is not some casting flashing or some such blockage where the line goes into the manifold.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

I went to auto zone to get the light reset.

Originally Posted by Formula413
When I replaced mine I started the car up and the light went out in a few minutes just sitting there idling. You might have a different problem, was the old check valve definitely blocked up? There also could be a blockage where the pipe threads into the manifolds, try getting that off (it will be on there like a ****) and making sure there is not some casting flashing or some such blockage where the line goes into the manifold.
Yeah right where it threads it was pretty nasty, but i didn't think it was totally blocked off from all that, so I hit it a bit and hoped the crap would break loose a bit more, and then put the new one on. So far the check engine light hasn't been back on but it's only been a few hours, i've started the car off and on a few time's as well. I guess time will tell if it's something else or not, if the check engine light come's back on. I'm worried me bending the pipe's may have made things worse.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was running a super 20G at about 17psi. Actually the day I picked up my vette my cousin drove down with me in the eclipse and we raced on 84 after I bought the vette and he whooped me. Boy I was pissed at first then I realized my new car was light years better lol. I was so happy to be out of that eclipse and into a real car it wasnt even funny. Although in fairness there are quite a few bad *** DSMs out there.

That sounds like a darn good list of mods but I know a lot of guys get higher stalls with the autos. Talk with some people with autos before you rule out getting a new converter sooner than you think. Me being an M6 I have not good info to give you on them.

Not to far from I-84 eh?? What town in SW CT are ya from??
Old 06-27-2007, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mssingkid
Not to far from I-84 eh?? What town in SW CT are ya from??
Actually I live in Rocky Hill Just south of Hartford in central CT. I was in Waterbury picking up the car at a dealer.

Jimmy glad to see you have your first little issue straightened out for now.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Regular

Actually I live in Rocky Hill Just south of Hartford in central CT. I was in Waterbury picking up the car at a dealer.

Jimmy glad to see you have your first little issue straightened out for now.
Thanks man. Just passed emissions too! I can get rid of those restrictive cats now and get some longtube's and y-pipe
Old 06-29-2007, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

Well, I raced my friends 6 speed lt1 just now. I guess my stock stall is around 12-1500rpm so I held it there, let off and chirped just a little, but it seemed we were practically tied, I was half a car ahead the whole time but could hardly pull at all. I was expecting a close race because I am auto and a 98 so I don't have the ls6 intake mani stock.

But I just ordered a pretty decent mods list, hopefully it'll all arrive next week, I ordered an slp lid, coated longtube headers and y-pipe, lower control arms, and relocation brackets. Haven't ordered an exhuast yet as I'm not sure if I wanna do a decent catback or a cutout, but i think for this year for bolt on's I'll just do that and ls6 intake mani, am I missing any good bolt on's that are worth the money or do you guys think this is a good list?