Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Need Help: NY Emissions / Inspection Requirements?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 06:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Help: NY Emissions / Inspection Requirements?

I currently live in South Carolina and I'm moving back to NY state (south of Buffalo). I've been away long enough and the laws have changed regarding inspection / emissions etc. What is required to pass emissions? I guessing long tube headers and no cats isn't going to cut it, lol? I was hoping to just be able to add a set of high flow cats and be done, but I don't think it will be that easy... Can someone from up there bring me up to speed?
Old 07-09-2007, 06:35 AM
12 Second Club

If you've got longtubes and an off road y pipe, you're going to have to find a shop that isn't strict on the visual part of the inspection. Ask around and see where those places might be, because I have no idea, my dad inspects my car. If you have someone tune out any codes you're throwing, and you don't have the SES light on, you *should* be good to go. There's no sniffer test or smog test or anything of that sort.

Off topic: what the hell are you coming back up here for, there's nothing here to see
Old 07-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Teching In

I'm potentially moving back to Jamestown, NY. I lived there for 15 years and all my family lives in Erie, PA. Anyway, I hear you on finding a tolerant garage for inspections but I would still like to know what the laws in NY these days, I assume long tubes are illegal? What about aftermarket cats? I've had my cal modified so I don't have a SES light? What about the air pump...will they notice it is missing?
Old 07-09-2007, 02:11 PM
12 Second Club

If you've moved your cats from their stock locations, it's illegal in NY. So any longtube setup would be considered illegal. As for the AIR pump, I doubt your average garage would notice that missing, although that also is considered "illegal."
Old 07-09-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It isn't a NY Regulation, it's an EPA / Federal Law. The act of just moving the location of the CAT is enough for them to throw the book at you. This is standard across the board, every state.

With that said, as long as you have the car tuned, and it does not throw an SES you shouldn't have an issue passing the OBD II portion of the test. Finding someone who will not throw the car on the lift and check is a whole different issue. My suggestion, go to some local car shows and start making friends. Most car enthusiast are willing to lend a helping hand. GL
Old 07-09-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

Originally Posted by 95 Z28
If you've got longtubes and an off road y pipe, you're going to have to find a shop that isn't strict on the visual part of the inspection. Ask around and see where those places might be, because I have no idea, my dad inspects my car. If you have someone tune out any codes you're throwing, and you don't have the SES light on, you *should* be good to go. There's no sniffer test or smog test or anything of that sort.

Off topic: what the hell are you coming back up here for, there's nothing here to see
Can't your dad help him also.????