Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Failed Emissions test

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteKnightZ28
Let me clear some stuff up (this is my job...)
2. Now that your car has failed the sniffer test, you will have to pass the sniffer test... it doesnt matter what station you go to, we're all linked by the same computer system.
I assume that my cats are the reason why I failed... however, if I passed with the same cats (and cam) 2 years ago, why not now? If the computer is not indicating any codes, then how do i know what needs to be done. Just keep replacing **** until it passes?

One more question. Will I always have to pass the sniffer now on all future tests, even after I pass this one (eventually).?
Old 07-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Tech Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DD966
I assume that my cats are the reason why I failed... however, if I passed with the same cats (and cam) 2 years ago, why not now? If the computer is not indicating any codes, then how do i know what needs to be done. Just keep replacing **** until it passes?

One more question. Will I always have to pass the sniffer now on all future tests, even after I pass this one (eventually).?
2 Years ago I'm guessing that you passed the OBDII test (in which case you dont even need cats, just O2 sims).

This time when you went to have it tested you must have had more than 3 moniters not set (could have happened if the battery was disconected or something to that effect) so it bumped you to a sniffer test despite the fact that there were no codes on the computer.

I would make sure your cats are still in good condition and then have the car tuned lean for the test, but if you go too lean then your CO's or NOx could go over the limit (it's all about finding a balance, hopefully whoever does your tunning can help you with this).

And no, once you pass the sniffer your car gets "reset" and you'll go back to OBD tests in the future.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not to hijack the thread, but Ill have to get tested in april. You guys keep saying monitors? So if you disconect the battery or something, you have to drive a certain amount of miles to get the computer to get the monitors?
Old 07-18-2007, 11:06 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by motoo344
Not to hijack the thread, but Ill have to get tested in april. You guys keep saying monitors? So if you disconect the battery or something, you have to drive a certain amount of miles to get the computer to get the monitors?
Correct, after you disconect the battery or turn off a trouble code the car needs to do whats called a "drive cycle" before it the moniters set (give an "OK" signal).

Drive cycles vary by car, but normally, driving a few hundred miles will take car of just about everything.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Lower your car and say it's too low to go over the rollers.
i got kicked out once and they gave me my money back. seems like people have tried this one. depends on the place though.

QUESTION: when you clear the codes, it erases the error codes....but what are these other data that the EMISSION guy said was missing?
Old 07-18-2007, 02:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am lowered here in MD and get a two year waver. Offer the guy some cash? $100
Old 07-18-2007, 02:51 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by mark306ci
i got kicked out once and they gave me my money back. seems like people have tried this one. depends on the place though.

QUESTION: when you clear the codes, it erases the error codes....but what are these other data that the EMISSION guy said was missing?
I've never not been able to test a car because its too low, but then again I dont deal with too many lowered cars in my neck of the woods.

ANSWER: All the sensors on your car (o2, knock, ect...) are grouped into what we call moniters, if you disconect the battery or use a computer to clear a code then you have reset the moniter(s) and they need to go thru a drive cycle before they will give an "ok" message. In CT you can have up to 3 moniter groups not ready, any more than that and the car will be kicked to a sniffer test.

Hope that helps...
Old 07-18-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go southworth's in New Milford.

end game.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteKnightZ28
Hope that helps...
yea it explained everything, thanks.

i've got an Idle Air Control valve error. would this fail the emissions test?

when i clear the codes, it takes about 10 miles of driving for it to come back on. i thought i could slip through the plug-in test by just clearing the codes while waiting in line at the test station. didn't know about this "monitor" readings.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by mark306ci
yea it explained everything, thanks.

i've got an Idle Air Control valve error. would this fail the emissions test?

when i clear the codes, it takes about 10 miles of driving for it to come back on. i thought i could slip through the plug-in test by just clearing the codes while waiting in line at the test station. didn't know about this "monitor" readings.
If it only effects one moniter group you may be able to get away with it, but don't quote me on that. Honestly I get almost no modded cars in my station, the guys in my area all drive stock A4 vettes lol.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DD966

Forget the sniffer, looks like you are down to the hummer option.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thechef
what about the memos that the state has put out stating that obd2 cars are NOT to be put on the rollers, he should have been told to go and put more drive cycles on the car or directed to a repair facility per state regulations
I recently bought a moddified 2.75 pullied 2003 Cobra from Mass with a few basic bolt ons. From some reason the emmissions computer could not connect/read the OBD II system. He tried 4 times. He scanned the OBD computer and i had no check engine codes. In order for me to pass the emmissions test, he had me take the sniffer test. I wasn't happy about this because the car was modified. The emmissions tester basically said to me if he sees that i am failing based on the numbers he would abort the test. I passed, but i noticed at the bottom of the emmissions report that in 2 years i have to pass the OBD II or i will fail. Go figure!! I passed the "TRUE" emmissions test and now they want to Xscrew if i don't pass the computer test. I think there was something wrong with his system. I passed the CT emmissions OBD II test 2 times with a Eastside tuned H/C car and never had a problem.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by CGLHawk260
I recently bought a moddified 2.75 pullied 2003 Cobra from Mass with a few basic bolt ons. From some reason the emmissions computer could not connect/read the OBD II system. He tried 4 times. He scanned the OBD computer and i had no check engine codes. In order for me to pass the emmissions test, he had me take the sniffer test. I wasn't happy about this because the car was modified. The emmissions tester basically said to me if he sees that i am failing based on the numbers he would abort the test. I passed, but i noticed at the bottom of the emmissions report that in 2 years i have to pass the OBD II or i will fail. Go figure!! I passed the "TRUE" emmissions test and now they want to Xscrew if i don't pass the computer test. I think there was something wrong with his system. I passed the CT emmissions OBD II test 2 times with a Eastside tuned H/C car and never had a problem.
It happens, most likely the fuse for the OBD conection was blown, so the emissions computer cant tell if the car is running or not. Not a big deal 9 times out of ten.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:19 AM
TECH Resident

There programs that mimic the obd-II emissions test so you can make sure you are going to pass before you even go. I use my old autotap cables with an older efilive program that runs the same tests.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:01 AM

The bulletin saying that the cars have to be driven more instead of being put on the sniffer are for cars that the dealers are selling. The reason for this is so that they can't clear the codes and then sell the car knowing it will come back on.