Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Race Track in Palmer MA.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 11:14 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Open a dragstrip in the central mass area or anywhere in CT and it will be packed/make good $.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Open a dragstrip in the central mass area or anywhere in CT and it will be packed/make good $.
Truth to that. I'd give anything for maybe an hour ride, vs 2ish
Old 08-28-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a member of the SCCA, and have been getting the info from the source. They have no plans for a dragstrip. The main factors for this is that The roadracing venues, ie NHIS and Limerock are booked solid. It has been difficult for them to run a season with the dates that are avail, esp with NHIS running nascar events. Also the SCCA autox will be losing their main location( the devens airfield) to development so a autox pad will be part of the new facilities. They dont see any problems keeping this new track booked up, and dragracing is not on their radar.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Race your car!

Then it's their loss.... because I guarintee that if they were to include a drag strip with it, the profits would be substantially higher then just a roadcourse.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:06 PM
Internet Mechanic

Any decent facility includes not only a road course but a drag strip.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Andrew
I would love to see a drag strip up in Orange. All though I never lived there, my father's family still lives in that area - I have a ton of relatives that I'd like to see again.

As far as the pics go, I do have a shoebox with pics from the CT Dragway. My dad is deceased, but there may be some pics from Orange, MA too - I'd have to dig through my mom's boxes someday.
You dig them up....I will come down to see them if it's acceptable to you. I've been looking for some old race pics of my '64 Malibu SS. Please PM me on this. Thanks. WJ

Last edited by WJ SOM SS; 08-28-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BillS
I am a member of the SCCA, and have been getting the info from the source. They have no plans for a dragstrip. The main factors for this is that The roadracing venues, ie NHIS and Limerock are booked solid. It has been difficult for them to run a season with the dates that are avail, esp with NHIS running nascar events. Also the SCCA autox will be losing their main location( the devens airfield) to development so a autox pad will be part of the new facilities. They dont see any problems keeping this new track booked up, and dragracing is not on their radar.
Good luck to you guys....I know there's no shortage of $ involved w/the road race people. Have been to Limerock and it's a classy operation, and realize you people often even run on wet pavement---something that us drag racers just can't do. That's what puts the big financial hurt on some drag strip operators---rainy weather. WJ
Old 08-28-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just got an announcement from them today about this. They are looking for a group of investors, they need approx 7 million and expect this place to turn a profit in 3 yrs or less. If some investors come forward and want to include dragracing they may change their tune.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:56 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BillS
I just got an announcement from them today about this. They are looking for a group of investors, they need approx 7 million and expect this place to turn a profit in 3 yrs or less. If some investors come forward and want to include dragracing they may change their tune.
Who is actually doing this?
Old 08-28-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

At the moment it is 100% the new england region SCCA.
They want the investors to come from the SCCA membership, but if it means getting it done they will go outside
Old 08-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Race your car!

I might actually know someone... but I am 100% sure that with no drag strip, he wouldn't invest a cent.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

I might give autocrossing a try if it's not too expensive. But yeah, a drag strip in central Mass or Connecticut would be great. Right now everyone has to drive to LVD. Whenever I've gone up there, there's been lots of CT and MA people.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:31 AM
On The Tree

So in other words, it's going to be a yuppie festival for a bunch of old men that have nothing better to do that are all goign to me coming from out of town/out of the area and leaving as soon as possible due to the fact that there's nothign else around that area to attract them....rather then a racetrack that can draw on the local racers that are already in the area that would surly make it a profitable venture for the investors.....

Real good business decision there LOL.

I love racing of all types, and any race track is better tehn none, but to have that type of attitude about drag racing and bikes for that matter surly makes a potentially solid inventment a somewhat risky investment IMO.
The guys that are building the track aren't drag racers thats why they don't care about a drag strip. This track will be very profitable without one. New England Region SCCA autocrosses bring 100+ compeditors every event (several weekends every summer). Road racing clubs, NASA, CART, COM, SCDA, BMWCCA, PCA, all book a year in advance at about $10,000 a day! Lime Rock is booked for ~15 days out of every month from March to November. Thats over $1,000,000 gross from private clubs renting the track.

The guys that want to build this track are local. They're trying to build this place in their back yard. I do a lot of events with Corvette Owners of Mass. COM has four 'home' events every year. Three at NHIS and one at Lime Rock. The club goes to Canadian tracks to fill most of the rest of the schedule. Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal all have world class tracks about an hour away. We have to drive 8-12 hours to get to a good track and thats what road racers are used to.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:50 AM
Race your car!

I hear what ou are saying, but think if it like this, average good weather street night at lvd brings in on average 250 cars, at 30 bucks a car that's 7500, and saturday's test and tune day's usually have a good 150 to 200 cars as well, so you're talking another 4500 to 6000 bucks. Weather permitting, just 2 test and tune days you are talking over 10 grand every week, and realisticially you can have the dragstrip open from mid april to the end of october, so that's 30 weeks you could have it open. Figure in crew member charges, spectators, the $ brought in from actual racing have a couple bigger race events to fill the stands a couple times a year with spectators, food, sale of race fuel/nitrous refills, you're talking about easily taking a 1/2 a million in a year without a problem.
Now do that, along with racing the roadcourse 2 days a week on top of it, you just upped the income by a good 50% in a year that 1/2 your possible running days are rained out. And if there's a runway from an airport there on the site already, well your dragstrip is probably over 50% built already.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Question: How could you run road course/drag race events at the same site on the same days? (Sat. & Sun.) Just can't happen without major problems, IMO. Tracks w/different venues, i.e. road course, drag strip, oval usually never run same day programs for that reason. WJ
Old 08-29-2007, 07:15 AM
Internet Mechanic

I hear what ou are saying, but think if it like this, average good weather street night at lvd brings in on average 250 cars, at 30 bucks a car that's 7500, and saturday's test and tune day's usually have a good 150 to 200 cars as well, so you're talking another 4500 to 6000 bucks. Weather permitting, just 2 test and tune days you are talking over 10 grand every week, and realisticially you can have the dragstrip open from mid april to the end of october, so that's 30 weeks you could have it open. Figure in crew member charges, spectators, the $ brought in from actual racing have a couple bigger race events to fill the stands a couple times a year with spectators, food, sale of race fuel/nitrous refills, you're talking about easily taking a 1/2 a million in a year without a problem.
Now do that, along with racing the roadcourse 2 days a week on top of it, you just upped the income by a good 50% in a year that 1/2 your possible running days are rained out. And if there's a runway from an airport there on the site already, well your dragstrip is probably over 50% built already.
Exactlly lol
Old 08-29-2007, 11:17 AM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by WJ SOM SS
Question: How could you run road course/drag race events at the same site on the same days? (Sat. & Sun.) Just can't happen without major problems, IMO. Tracks w/different venues, i.e. road course, drag strip, oval usually never run same day programs for that reason. WJ

I don't think it would be a problem as long as there is enough pit space and the track's don't intersect.

Most commonly, the roadcourse will go down part of the drag strip... but if the track's were laid out around each other, I see no reason it couldn't work. It would take a good organized staff and some planning, I agree it would be hecktic if it was not planned out properly, but if done right it would be fine.

During the week test and tune days could be scheduled on seperate days, but even that could be combined if needed due to weather.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Bringing in more racers will bring in more money. However, this track is planned and organized based on NOT having racing with a large number of spectators. They don't want it to be like NHIS with thousands of people and a four hour traffic jam for a NASCAR event. They will also have a very strict sound limit. This makes it a bit more neighbor friendly, and not so drag race friendly. They will have two venues on the one site. There are plans for a large (1.5-2.5mi) road coarse as well as a large paved lot for autocross. NHIS books a lot of autocrosses on the same day that the main track is booked. Getting registered and in the gate is a 10-30 min. process, but it isn't anything crazy and it goes smoothly.

Quick Reply: Race Track in Palmer MA.