Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Steps to purchase a car in Ohio and bring it back into PA...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Steps to purchase a car in Ohio and bring it back into PA...

Hey everyone. Im about to go over to Ohio to purchase an 86 Trans AM. Does anyone know the procedures for gonig over, getting the car, and bringing it back?

I need to know things such as...does the title need to be notarized over there? Do I need to get residency tags and if so where do I get them over in Ohio?

I asked the place where I always get my tags...and they just confused the heck out of me.

Any info/help is appreciated!

justin
Old 09-21-2007, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've bought a car in ohio and drove it back to nj.

If they dont have title in hand call the bank and make sure they have the title at the branch you plan on going to. if i didnt i would've had to go another trip.

i wanted to drive back (bus there). so i went to the nearest dmv after we went to the bank (where i had the title signed over the and lein released to me). At dmv i got a temp tag so i can drive it back legally. forgot how much $ for it.

other than that i just brought back the properly signed over title and a bill of sale that i had typed up and we both signed and notarized at bank.

when you get home take the title to local dmv and get new title and registration.

done.

oh, wait, ohio doesnt have inspection stickers on windsheild. so you need that too when you get home.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well...since its an 86 i would think theres no longer any liens on it but anythings possible.
if there is no lien:

Pa DMV will tell you that you need to have the Title notarized in Ohio with all parties signatures so PA can title and register it here. that will be next to impossible if you go on a weekend to pick it up. however, I just recently bought a car in Michigan and i was told from eveyone i talked to that all i needed to do was have a signed title in hand from the previous owener. Pa tags place will just title it with no issues and thats exactly what happened. i had the Michigan title signed by the owner and myself and the PA notary just did the paper work no questions asked.

if there is a lien:
you'll need a "release of lien" letter from the bank along with the signed title brought to the DMV with you and they'll take it from there.

goodluck.

Rick
Old 09-21-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah..no lein... Im paying cash money...done deal. Im going on a saturday... Its pretty much the only time I can go. I more worried about the temp tag thing than the title sign over. I was tempted to just slap my TA plates on it for the ride home. I know thats not good... But I was tempted. Ill have insurance on it... I just need to make sure getting tags over here isnt a problem.

J.

Quick Reply: Steps to purchase a car in Ohio and bring it back into PA...