Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Drag strip in York Pa

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 07:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great idea, but I think the biggest obstacle will be the insurance! The liability insurance for a drag strip is really outrageous from what the owner of Capitol explained to me! Better find out about that before it comes as a major surprise to your investor(s). There are alot of requirements to even get the insurance in the first place...
Old 10-24-2007, 07:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It just so happens that one of the investors we will be talking to owned US30. So he knows about the insurance and how it all works. One of the main reason he closed US30 was Weather. He would try to hold these big events and pay alot of money for the big names in racing to come out. Wen they showed up it was raining but they got paid anyways. We dont plan on holding events like this that we have to pay people to show up. I am sure we would have enough people show up without having to pay them. I work alot of the local shows and know alot of the old racers. Most of them would be tickled pink to come out to a track to show off the vintage race cars without paying them anything.

Asfor knowing people in the area with political connections, that shouldnt be too much of a problem. I think the biggest obstical will be to convice the county that it would be a worth while. We have to show them that it will help the county make some extra money from tourism. We also have to show that it will somewhat cut down on the street racing. We are not looking to put the track within City limits so that should also help us out. Thanks again for all your interest. I know alot of you are tired of driving an hour plus to only get 3 runs in per night.

Nick
Old 10-25-2007, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm interested but being realistic wouldn't go alone. I would only go with a group. I have to think that with the group on here from our area that would not be a problem.

And the point about "what if it breaks" applies to me. If your going to play something’s going to break. I don't own a truck or know anyone with a trailer so there you go. Interest and optimism at first but the first serious problem I have and I might be changing my mind. I however always think things like that work out anyway.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Robert you know I would trailor your car home or back to the Shop for you. You can even ask Will about this. When his water pump went out I had it trailored for him.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I know things like that work out so I wasn't too worried but now not worried at all. So now that the "ball and chain" is gone I would be in.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:53 PM
10 Second Club

i support it, i'll sign a petition.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

the process for getting a drag strip is not as complicated as many would think, certainly expensive, but not really all that complicated.
the first thing you need is either an investor to buy the land or an interested party who already owns it.
the next thing to deal with is the noise. once you have the place, you still have to get it past the town council. if land is available near an airport, that would be your best bet. land close to a noise easement zone is usually cheaper anyway, as well as making it easier to get the town to go along with the idea.
business connections can be jsut as or more powerful that political connections. one does lead to the other when you consider that a large local company that may be willing to support the idea and has many employees has major influence over the careers of politicians. look to local industry and car clubs to rally and move the project along.
you can also get a lot of the politicals in line by talking about safety of children and the number of "young people" who die each year from street racing and excessive speed related deaths. there are studies, a few really good canadian ones, that speak to the statistics related to speed related deaths and having a race track in the area. no politician wants to be the guy who doesn't care enough about the young to let an idea like this slide through without at least looking into it very publicly.
mention the income, temprary construction jobs, and the permanent positions created by the new facility and you will certainly have their attention.

jsut be practical in your approach to the situation. talk the idea up with locals and look for a realistic place to put it first. once you have some momentum behind these first two points it is time to start talking to local politicians.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Have you talked to Stewart? If you get him on your side (Can you say Apple Raceway)? You should have no problem.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Launching!

im behind you guys 110%, let me know if i can do anything.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:25 AM
Banned

Will Spill- You know I'm in for this, anything you need.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

go for it ill help with what I can. There has been a lot of talk in the area of bucks county to about opening up. JP mascaro a local trash company owns 100s of acres and has been trying to open up a track for years.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you want to sit down and get this all in order to make a serious run at it, let me know. york is an easy drive from here and i can rally some support from the 1600 members of the NJFBOA as well.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:19 PM
10 Second Club

Thank you for all the support! I have a couple calls to make tomorrow and hopefully that will get the ball rolling.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this thread has been dead for awhile... any news?
Old 11-09-2007, 09:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't believe I missed this..Hell yeah I'm in...Hey Nick let me know if there's anything I can do...Maybe what I do for a living can help you by emphasizing ther importance of having a track instead of using the streets...Lemme know!!!

--Alan
Old 11-09-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

I'm in
Old 11-09-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

Dunno if theres anything I can do but Ill definitely throw my support behind this any way I can!