Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Virginia trailer registration

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 09:15 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Virginia trailer registration

I am about to move out of the Naziwealth of VA.... Thank goodness. Back to Texas. I have to make one last transaction with this government though...

I have a small 4X6' utility trailer that I'll be pulling behind my truck with some of my stuff on it. The trailer was cheap, and it needs a little work but still not near as much cash into it if I were to go buy a new one.

Anyway, I looked on the VA DMV website this morning and it says its going to be a whopping $18 bucks to register this thing. Will they issue me plates on the spot? I only have about 2 weeks before the move so I dont have time to be waiting around for plates to come in. I'm sure you guys have experience with this.... how do I go about it??
Old 11-20-2007, 09:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They give the plates on the spot after you register, no waiting for the plates.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To tell you the truth I wouldn't register it and would wait till you got to Texas. I have a 5x8 for my bike and the braket fell of years ago (somewhere between AZ and TX). Now the trailer is registered and I have a plate I carry around with me in the vehicle since the braket is still missing in action but has anyone checked it...NO. I have traveled locally and to the midwest a few times. IMO just make sure you lights and all work and register it later. Ok, it is only $18 but it is up to you.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

do you have the out of state title or registration? you have to title it in va to get the tags. Also you have to pay a $10 title fee so it will be $28.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:10 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

My truck is registered in Tx, but I got the trailer from Hampton from a friend of mine and just wanted everything to be legal beagle on the way to Tx where I wouldnt get jacked with. If its only going to be that much, I'll register it here for a year, build me a sturdy plate bracket so I dont have the same problem as the Gunny and put on this light kit I have sitting in the box here... I dont see a need to ask to be stopped LOL... I get that plenty just for the exhaust and tint around here.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well if you go through with it then at least that will not be a reason for getting stopped so watch your speed.

The first license plate I had actually only attached to its holder by the bottom and the plate itself was getting mutilated due to the wind hitting it. So my father fashioned out a frame made out of 1/8" mild steel and welded it together. That worked great until the actual support holding it all snapped at highway speeds due to the weight. Ever since then I have been legit other than not displaying the plate. Maybe I am waiting on dad to help me out again.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:04 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

I've got some 1.5" X 1.5" angle iron here so I'll build a frame out of that to hold it and BOLT it on the trailer with some lock nuts and all... I think it'll be fine back there as long as I dont mount it in such a way that its a little sail. LOL...
Old 11-21-2007, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That is exactly the way mine was mounted, "as a sail." I don't have many options though since it is suppose to sit right above the left rear tail light for illumination.

BTW, your reference of "Gunny" is cool but I was never one. I was an E7 but of the Army variety so it was just a nickname I have always had. I left the hard stuff for my sister who is stationed out at Lemoore NAS now.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:18 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Ahhh... I'm a Cpl in the Marine Corps. So the respect given to to a Gunny is always there.

Quick Reply: Virginia trailer registration