Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Pesky Critter's.....BAM!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Whip
Snake gimmie details bro! Is that a rem? One pump or CO2? Is it silenced? Gimmie any details you can!

It's a Gamo Whisper

Basically the same breakbarrel springer as the Varmint Hunter in the original post, but with a suppressor attached

Since it's non-removable, it's approved by the ATFB for production, so it's legal

You can get them in 3 models:

1) Standard Whisper (3-9x40 BSA Scope)

2) Whisper Deluxe (3-9x40 BSA Scope, Black/Gray Rubber Padded Stock)

3) Gas Ram (3-9x40 BSA Scope, Air Venturi Gas Spring)

Mine has a few extra goodies

Custom Maccari Tarantula Spring
Custom Machined Guide
Hone/Hatch Cylinder
Complete Turbo Tune
GRT-3 Blade
3-9x50 CenterPoint Illuminated MilDot Scope (won in contest)
Barrelmounted Laser Sight with Pressure Switch

I must say, after the tune and blade, she's the perfect shooter

Here's a video that should give you a good idea of how quiet she is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA-1X3jGi1M

She's even more quiet now after the break-in rounds after the tune

Rick
Old 02-21-2008, 09:25 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My tool of choice is a painball gun.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Snake Eater, I really like the Whisper's, I think they are one of their lightest rifles too. Does the supressor really help that much with supersonic rounds?

Also the one things about Gamos' that I heard people complain about is the trigger. Can you send me any info about modifications to get a nice smooth pull and removing some of that twangyness.

I like the Shadow series, Whisper, and CFX. I hope they have an assortment I can look at.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Snake....that is sick...thanks for the info, and loved the vid, especially the golf cart!
Old 02-22-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Hey Snake Eater, I really like the Whisper's, I think they are one of their lightest rifles too. Does the supressor really help that much with supersonic rounds?
The suppressor does little to suppress any noise from Super Sonic ammo

From a distance you'll notice the difference, but from the shooter's standpoint, the PBA's are still loud as hell

Here's a video that give you an idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqXGOYw_cM0

On a sidenote, I don't recommend using the PBA's

Because of their ultralight weight, they have very little resistance in the chamber, which causes piston slam that would eventually ruin the spring and piston

They also have a very unstable flight path as they tend to tumble in mid flight (I've pulled countless PBA's out of targets that actually went in skirt first!!)

It's much better to stick with midweigth lead (7.9 to 8.3g.)

My Whisper actually prefers Crosman Premier Dome Lites and Hollow Points (both 7.9g)

Also the one things about Gamos' that I heard people complain about is the trigger. Can you send me any info about modifications to get a nice smooth pull and removing some of that twangyness.
www.charliedatuna.com

Money well spent right there

I like the Shadow series, Whisper, and CFX. I hope they have an assortment I can look at.
The CFX is a great gun, but it's also considered the oddball in Gamo's lineup since the rest practically all use the same powerplant and breakbarrel setup...

It's a fixed barrel underlever design which makes for great accuracy, but has been known to have rotary breech sealing problems due to design (of course there are fixes for everything)

The standard break barrel design of the other rifles is less complex and far less prone to having issues

Originally Posted by Whip
Snake....that is sick...thanks for the info, and loved the vid, especially the golf cart!
That thing hauls ***, eh?

Still not as fast as my Goped though
Old 02-22-2008, 12:11 PM
11 Second Club

Great info thanks buddy.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Does anyone know a place that can rebuild air rifles? I have my dad's old .22 pumpmaster I'd like to get rebuild. It worked probably 10 years ago and blew out a seal from the barrel
Old 02-22-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

98 snaker eater. how much was your tuning on your gun? never had mine done and was wondering if you though it's worth it? just would like a little more info. also did you have to send your gun out to have it tuned? thank'd for the info I think I could to you all day on this subject but I'll let you go for now thank's
Old 02-22-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tudds
Does anyone know a place that can rebuild air rifles? I have my dad's old .22 pumpmaster I'd like to get rebuild. It worked probably 10 years ago and blew out a seal from the barrel
It would probably be best to send it back to Crosman if it's just seal work...

Originally Posted by dogger
98 snaker eater. how much was your tuning on your gun? never had mine done and was wondering if you though it's worth it? just would like a little more info. also did you have to send your gun out to have it tuned? thank'd for the info I think I could to you all day on this subject but I'll let you go for now thank's

The turbo tune was $149 bucks (I already had the GRT-3 blade installed)

At the time, I was happy with the performance of the Whisper as is, but then the mainspring snapped a little over 5000 shots (most likely my own fault due to a few dryfires and heavy PBA usage)

So I had a choice of sending it in for warranty and waiting over a month or sending it to CDT to have Bob do his magic

I had it back from CDT within a week (just two days after he received it) and I must say, the difference is night and day from stock

Much smoother cocking action that just gets quieter the more you use it

It's also WAY more consistent giving me chrony variations of no more than 10 fps

The old stock spring would stay tight for about 50 shots, then as heat built up, the velocity would start to vary by as much as 100fps

After the tune, I could shoot all day long and the velocity will remain the same
Old 02-22-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

how can I get in touch with cdt to do a tune up? I think you sold me on it just wanting to know how to get in touch thanks.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dogger
how can I get in touch with cdt to do a tune up? I think you sold me on it just wanting to know how to get in touch thanks.

I posted his website above

Just shoot him an email

cdt2@charter.net
Old 02-24-2008, 05:09 PM
11 Second Club

Well went to the show and only Crosman was their. I checked out the TAC 1 but, I wanted a Gamo. On the way home I stopped at a gun shop a buddy recommended. After pulling myself away from all the other various firearms their i asked him about airguns, they carried gamo's

I ended up getting the Whisper over the Varmint Hunter, mostly due to the fixed sights. Shot about 50 rounds today w/ the scope and it's pretty close now. I keep keep em in a quarter from 25ft and in the bottom of a coke can from 30 yrds. This was out in the 20* weather resting on my cars trunk. So it needs a bit more tweaking. I'm probably gonna change the scope and the trigger for sure. The Trigger does creep a lot.

Super happy w/ the gun, I think my dad wants to buy one. Plus the Raptor rounds are damn cool. I sighted in with the standard "hunter" rounds. I found the Raptors shoot about 3" higher from 25-30 yrds. A lot of fun.

Oh I also want to try to find some see through mounts so I can use my sights w/ the scope mounted.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Congratz on the new gun

Make sure you use some locktite on the stop pin or it'll come loose and the mount will tear up the rail

Also, I don't suggest using the PBA pellets for the reasons I posted previously...

I've used countless pellets and the ones that had the most consistent chrony numbers are Crosman Premier Dome Lites (7.9g) and Crosman Premier Hollow Points (7.9g)

So for short range (50yards) I use the HollowPoints and for long range (100+yards) I use the Dome Lites
Old 02-25-2008, 07:09 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER
Congratz on the new gun

Make sure you use some locktite on the stop pin or it'll come loose and the mount will tear up the rail

Also, I don't suggest using the PBA pellets for the reasons I posted previously...

I've used countless pellets and the ones that had the most consistent chrony numbers are Crosman Premier Dome Lites (7.9g) and Crosman Premier Hollow Points (7.9g)

So for short range (50yards) I use the HollowPoints and for long range (100+yards) I use the Dome Lites

LOL too late on the rail thing. I already got a 1/4" tear through the enamel. I'll fix it when my new scope comes in. I'll try those pellets you suggested.

I ordered a new scope, like your's but I stuck w/ the 40mm cause I am hoping with the raised see through mounts I got I'll be able to use my fixed sights simultaneously. I got a case and cleaning kit too, also ordered the GRT trigger and the varmint hunter scope monted laser/light. Dang i spent a lot of money.

Not only that but in my quest for finding this gun, I got the gun dealer looking for a compaq sig357 semi auto AND I found a website that sells rail adapters for my HK USP! HK Tactical accessories are like $400, but with this I can get any standard rail mount accessory, including this trick mini laser, that I need to get at some point.
http://www.laserlyte.com/gun_sights/...140/index.html

I got too many hobbies, guns, hunting/fishing, computers, RC, car's, video games, even cigars and other little things, oh and a wife. I need a 2nd job.

Last edited by DannoWS6; 02-25-2008 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Nice addition!!!
Old 03-04-2008, 08:15 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks Tom

I put the Centerpoint scope on (which I love) and installed the GRT trigger. Wow the trigger makes it a totally different gun, I just had to adjust the 1st stage. The 1st shot surprised me LOL. It shoots like it should now, no creep and smooth. It should be a lot of fun, considering 250 rounds is like $4

BTW the raised see through mounts did not work. It really wasn't raised at all, so I used the stock mount and removed the rear sight for now.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Teching In

i got me a crossman, damn neighbors cats just mite go missin next time i see that **** in my driveway haha ive got foot prints on my daily driver but the SS is under a cover