Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Need ideas on moving large steel plate

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by styoung
you would be surprised, i wourk with 2" plate that is 8' x 8' and we cut 48" diamter flanges out of and they are alway bent a little, not enought to notice until i machine it.
maybe if you can get a couple pieces of pipe under it, weld a pad eye on the front and hook a comalong onto it and roll it on a trailer.

It may be different material then. The roadway plates I am talking about are super heavy duty cole rolled steel. We put them over openings in the roadway for cars and trucks to drive over. There is no way in hell the DOT would spec anything that would bend, especially with vehicular traffic.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:51 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guy that's buying it is going to have a friend with a steel bodied flatbed ramp truck pick it up. They have their own with an aluminum body but he doesn't want to mess it up. I'll let those guys worry about it being too wide to haul down the road.

I think we're going to prop up the front of the plate a little bit, put some steel pipe under it to help it roll a little easier, bolt a chain across the two front bolt holes, and pull it up with a winch. This sounds like the easiest way and shouldn't do any damage to it.

Big Mike, i'm sure what styoung is talking about is material being measured in thousandths of an inch, not enough to notice with the naked eye. I'm not sure what grade of steel my plate is made of, so I have no idea exactly how strong it really is. It very well be the same type you guys use for construction, but without knowing for sure I want to be as nice to it as possible. I'm sure the things isn't totally flat, if it's off a tiny bit it'll be ok. It has setscrews about every 24" to get it as flat and level as possible. When it was leveled at my shop a few years back they used some sort of laser transit I think.

The problem some of you guys might not realize is how straight this thing needs to be. Its being used for chassis setup stuff on a Busch East/Camping World car, so a .060" tweak isn't acceptable. I'd like to bull & thrash it onto a car hauler as quickly, but if it gets screwed up its not a good thing.

Thank you to all of you for the ideas. I'll let you know how everything went in a couple of weeks.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mike
It may be different material then. The roadway plates I am talking about are super heavy duty cole rolled steel. We put them over openings in the roadway for cars and trucks to drive over. There is no way in hell the DOT would spec anything that would bend, especially with vehicular traffic.
that could be true but when i say bent i mean very little, like .030, so not much but enought to make it a pain to machine.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry, but at 20ft long, the **** will bend! I've spent more than my share of time in shipyards, and I'm well aware of what steel will and won't do.

As for your answer......CUT IT UP IN LITTLE PIECES!!!!! Hahahahaha