Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

old school philly street racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 12:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick@HSW
Oh no I think this is a story to be shared by all....
I wonder why it hasnt been shared allready..hmmm...lol
Old 04-09-2008, 12:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JS
I started racing down there in 83 at Wheatcheaf,Meadows,Front,11th,61st,State Rd.,Bud Plant,Woodhaven,Blvd..

I even remeber going to Decatur in my brothers 67 Vette and my other brothers 70 429SCJ Torino..

Boy was that a fun time.
I remember seeing not 1 but 2 GSX's in one night,or 3 69 Pace Cars Camaro's,or 3 or 4 440 6-Pack Cuda's or 3 or 4 LS6 Chevelles or a SD TA or 2...

I even ran this trailer car once on Wheatcheaf.The car came off the trailer with open headers and tunnel ran and the guy was rowing it.I was in my 11 SEC 72 Chevelle SS 454....He got me by a fender and came over and shook my hand and said,kid that thing runs good...

I was all smiles at the time...

Then I built my Nova..
I was one of the 6 or 7 guys at the time with a PRO STREET CAR which back then meant tubbed and caged...

There was Pete Price with is BEAUTIFUL Blown GTO,Paul Sanders with his 67 Camaro,the guy from Pottstown with the Chevy powered Mustang,Randy Farber with the 69 BB Camaro,Me in my 70 BB Nova,and a guy with a 55 BB Chevy that was friends with Squeek and Vince with the 64 Blown Nova..

It was cool to be one of the guys that had one in the area...We use to go to the Pottstown Movies and park there for shows.They wouldnt let u park unless your car was nice..

There were other good hangouts too like the Meadows,Redlion Rd.etc....
God I miss those days,U could build a car for 15K.....
thats a kool story...i wish i was around back than for all that but now we just have stories. and sometimes you hear some of these street racing stories and it just amazes me on what used to go down. thanx for sharing!
Old 04-09-2008, 01:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation

Originally Posted by TNTramair
notice the differance???
Yes, bigtime!
Old 04-09-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Big Difference..........
Old 04-09-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone done building a time machine yet? bring the LSx to the old school scenes
Old 04-09-2008, 02:41 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Boy would that be so true
LS engines wouldve ruled the world back in the day
Old 04-09-2008, 08:52 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I worked for Sunoco as a QC chemist back in 98-02 and frequently had to go down to Passyunk ave and quite a few nights I saw some big time races go down at 61st and Passyunk if I remember correctly (corner where the purple orchid is/was). The fun races were when a guy would bring out a snow mobile and race a sub 10 second car and win.

Ahh the days. The funny thing was, I was in a Ford Ranger with Sunoco logos all over it and would just hang out. The cops wouldn't care because I told them I was trying to get to work and they were cool with it.

Last edited by The Alchemist; 04-09-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

My dad used to tell me his stories from the late 60's/70's How they used to race I-95 when it was being built. And how some girl had a Vette with if you can beat me you can eat me written on it.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

old school to me is 60s and 70s. 80s is way too recent for that. if you want real old school, subscribe to hemmings muscle machines. almost every issue they have a few pages of pics and captions of street racing, most of which was in NYC somewhere. brooklyn, long island, etc. back when theyd shut down an entire street or off-ramp, and race for several thousand each run. this being huge money in the early 70s.

this was also back when the big 3 had warehouses dotting all the big street racing spots filled with brand new muscle cars.....GTOs, TAs, camaros, road runners, falcon/fairlane/mustangs. theyd hire auto mag journalists to take the cars out at night and street race them, in the real world. one of them wrote a book about it.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:31 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Echo your a kid,U dont remeber any of that I remember going up to LI/NY in the early 80's and actually seeing them race for 10K.

I even remeber Bob's Big Boys on the Blvd..
I was only 7 at the time but I remeber my brother pulling in,hooking the speaker to his window and ordering burgers and shakes..Then the girl would come out and hook it to the car,boy that mustve been a fun time..

Now I do some buddies that in fact tell the same story as u.The big 3 would put hopped up engines in cars and put a driver or 2 in them and go out and kick **** on the street...

Royal Pontiac was big with that along with Mr. Norms too

Still when u saw 2000+ cars at Front street every Sat it was a amazing site
I still cant get over seeing the rare stuff being street raced.

I dont think u will ever see that agian...
The following users liked this post:
fucter (01-11-2021)
Old 04-10-2008, 11:55 AM
9 Second Club

wait what streets this on, i go to school on 33rd and Arch (1 block north of market), and i would love to go out there and see whats up.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:16 PM
11 Second Club

this is 61st st in SW Philly....down by all the junkyards and auto mall. my advice to you would be to stay clear of that area now a days. too many wanna be gangstas that like to cause trouble are allways out and about lookin for trouble.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:24 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TNTramair
this is 61st st in SW Philly....down by all the junkyards and auto mall. my advice to you would be to stay clear of that area now a days. too many wanna be gangstas that like to cause trouble are allways out and about lookin for trouble.

I remember watching the one kid running after his car screaming and yelling as it was being stolen right in front of him. Listen to the advice above steer clear of SW philly.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:58 PM
JS
10 Second Club

I agree its not what it use to be and its not safe...
Old 04-10-2008, 02:07 PM
9 Second Club

haha i wasnt even thinking of takin my whip down there, just wanted to go and watch. Im not the idiot who thinks he can go win money street racing against shady assed people.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:38 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, even back in 98 it was a tough area. I really wasn't happy when I got a late night call that I had to go down there and sample a tank and do qc work. Numerous nights I was chased by junk yard pitbulls that had dug under fences.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:09 AM
Launching!

I started going there my senior year of HS just to watch, than I got my 95 Z28 and raced the hell out of it there. All my loses came to LS1 cars and some WRXs. Even in 2004-05 it wasn't too bad, thats when the influx of rice took over. But I always remember every sunday night these 2 LS1 f-bombs would be there destroying everything. I went recently a few months ago with my WS6 to check it out, and pissed on 5 cars and left... and they still talk to **** lol. But the majority of the things there are crotch rockets now, they are lame.

Edit: Theres a few other spots besides 61st now. Front ST, Columbia BLVD(is a big one now, under the bridge), Holstein, and Kelly DR on the far end.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:50 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chemicalstylez
I started going there my senior year of HS just to watch, than I got my 95 Z28 and raced the hell out of it there. All my loses came to LS1 cars and some WRXs. Even in 2004-05 it wasn't too bad, thats when the influx of rice took over. But I always remember every sunday night these 2 LS1 f-bombs would be there destroying everything. I went recently a few months ago with my WS6 to check it out, and pissed on 5 cars and left... and they still talk to **** lol. But the majority of the things there are crotch rockets now, they are lame.

Edit: Theres a few other spots besides 61st now. Front ST, Columbia BLVD(is a big one now, under the bridge), Holstein, and Kelly DR on the far end.
they wouldnt happen to be red and black were they....
Old 04-11-2008, 07:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dragkid1917
haha i wasnt even thinking of takin my whip down there, just wanted to go and watch. Im not the idiot who thinks he can go win money street racing against shady assed people.
If you get caught spectating in Philly, you lose your license. Not worth it in my opinion.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Its funny how things change. Back when the cars were fast, loud and made real power, people rarely got hurt or killed street racing. But now the majority of the cars are slow, sound like **** and make no power and people are always getting f'd up or even worse, killed. Does anyone else see a problem here??? I think the government should make it harder to get your license in the first place and then worry about the people that race, instead of giving everyone a license to drive and then try and figure out how to stop the retards for killing themselves and everyone else.

Kick *** 1st video by the way. I missed most of the 80's (I was born in 84), but I have seen many videos and heard many stories about how it used to be. In my town there was actually 1/4 mile marked out in this one strip of road from the late 50's all the way through the early 80's. But then they built a police station at the starting line so I guess that is why it is no longer there

Quick Reply: old school philly street racing