Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

old school philly street racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 08:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes...your right. you would rarely hear about anyone getting hurt down there or wrecking back in the day. it used to be alot more "controlled" ,for lack of a better word, cause it is street racing. you notice in the first vid you dont see any cars parked along the side of the road watch...everyone would stay behind the action. when ya have morons parking along the side of the road to watch is when **** starts happening. some genious wants to pop a u-turn and doesnt pay attention and BAM.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:40 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TNTramair
yes...your right. you would rarely hear about anyone getting hurt down there or wrecking back in the day. it used to be alot more "controlled" ,for lack of a better word, cause it is street racing. you notice in the first vid you dont see any cars parked along the side of the road watch...everyone would stay behind the action. when ya have morons parking along the side of the road to watch is when **** starts happening. some genious wants to pop a u-turn and doesnt pay attention and BAM.
I had some close calls on Enterprise Ave when I raced bikes. Cars had choice but to line that street. It was bad enough in a close race you had to over the tracks at 100 on the brakes. Funny,the starting line was 100 yards from the ramps early. After a half hour starting line moved forward another 100 yards,those damm tracks just kept getting closer. I am so glad those days are over...
Old 04-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TNTramair
they wouldnt happen to be red and black were they....
Actually they were...they had nitrious too if i remember correctly. I think I would always see them on Paterson racing by the old army base or whatever that is.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chemicalstylez
Actually they were...they had nitrious too if i remember correctly. I think I would always see them on Paterson racing by the old army base or whatever that is.
ha ha....yeah, the red one would be mine and the black one would be Matt and Nick Harris from HarrisSpeedWorks. both our cars were Nitrous but his was much quicker than mine at the time. i was cam only with a 150 hit....the black one was heads and cam with a 150hit. you'd allways see us cruisin together down there.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Launching!

I'm only 34 so my experience is limited. I do remember going to Franklin Mills every Sunday night for what was basically a loosely organized car show with some extra curricular activities. The Boulevard and Red Lion was another spot, cops generally didn't do much unless people were acting stupid. I remember see 4 cars race at once on the Boulevard (a few on the inside lanes and a few on the outside lanes). I also remember standing at the corner of Red Lion? and the Boulevard just watching race after race. If I remember correctly there was a pedestrian footbridge that was about 1000' or so from the intersection if you were in the northbound lanes and that was generally considered the finish line. First under won. On the way to the Boulevard or on the way back we'd hit Levittown Parkway and the Taco Bell to see what was going on.

To this day the baddest street race I ever saw was on Woodhaven Blvd at the very end where it dead ends at the Boulevard. A 69 Charger with a 440 and 3 stages (so said the rumors in the lot that night) went up against an S10 that was trailered into the Franklin Mills lot. Next thing ya know they are out on Woodhaven. Each car sounds up to the task. The S10 is on full slicks and looks to be a track only deal. The charger could win best of show. Full burnouts, and I mean full burnouts. The Charger leaves and I swear he yanked the nose of that heavy @ss boat 15" into the air and I thought the
S10 had shut it off. The Charger killed him......Awesome.

It was different then...and that's not even back in the day, only what I can speak of first hand.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

Woodhaven rd was site to some serious races and they didnt happen too long ago. and i remember Franklin mills and red lion very well....i was amongst all those cars. good times. i remember they put redlion rd on lock b/c of 2 girls fighting in front of the pizza shop right there in the strip mall. after that, cops wouldnt let anyone sit in the lot anymore. that seemed to be the beginning of the end as i remember it.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:27 AM
Staging Lane

That was a good video remember things back then 40 now I started racing in front of jfk in 1986. So many cars then the whole parking lot full fri /sat night . Racing 3 wide on cotmen blnd in 1990. Sun afternoon was the best.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:04 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nick@HSW
I remember watching the one kid running after his car screaming and yelling as it was being stolen right in front of him. Listen to the advice above steer clear of SW philly.
Now thats really funny
Old 04-16-2008, 09:31 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by PA Z06
Now thats really funny
It was actually. As sad as it is, all I found myself doing was laughing.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:25 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I seen a guy get hit by a car on Front
I seen a guy burn up on Woodhaven,bad real bad
I seen a guy crash his car at the Meadows and roll it
I seen a guy hit a gaurdrail on a bike a gash his face real bad

Franklin Mills was insane,2000 cars some nights
Woodhaven did have some good races but it was dangerous

Jimmy Mayer paid the ultimate price that nice racing the Z-Bros. TA
He burned up under the car alive..
Real sad
Old 04-16-2008, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chemicalstylez
I started going there my senior year of HS just to watch, than I got my 95 Z28 and raced the hell out of it there. All my loses came to LS1 cars and some WRXs. Even in 2004-05 it wasn't too bad, thats when the influx of rice took over. But I always remember every sunday night these 2 LS1 f-bombs would be there destroying everything. I went recently a few months ago with my WS6 to check it out, and pissed on 5 cars and left... and they still talk to **** lol. But the majority of the things there are crotch rockets now, they are lame.

Edit: Theres a few other spots besides 61st now. Front ST, Columbia BLVD(is a big one now, under the bridge), Holstein, and Kelly DR on the far end.

I remember it becoming pretty ricey around 98-99 or so and then going over board in 2001 after The Fast and the Furious came out. Then anyone with an import thought they’re **** was fast. Obviously that just killed **** because no one wants to come with even a 13 sec car when 90% of the cars were rice that were lucky to sniff mid 15’s. Then they got the ***** to talk **** after getting handed their ***. I don’t care what you drive but when you lose, you compliment the victor not tell em “If my **** had more boost or if my **** had as much displacement as yours” blah blah blah no one cares and your car is slower so shut up. I don’t know about you guys but when I get my *** handed to me I don’t complain I ask the age old question “Man what are you running because that thing is fast”
Old 04-16-2008, 01:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JS
I seen a guy get hit by a car on Front
I seen a guy burn up on Woodhaven,bad real bad
I seen a guy crash his car at the Meadows and roll it
I seen a guy hit a gaurdrail on a bike a gash his face real bad

Franklin Mills was insane,2000 cars some nights
Woodhaven did have some good races but it was dangerous

Jimmy Mayer paid the ultimate price that nice racing the Z-Bros. TA
He burned up under the car alive..
Real sad
i heard about that race with the T/A...sucked real bad.
i saw the aftermath of a 72 Chevelle at the Meadows when it lost its brakes and didnt stop untill he went into the brush all the way at the end....it was going a little too fast to make that left hand turn
Old 04-16-2008, 08:07 PM
12 Second Club

Wasnt there a cuda that rolled on some people down front st or the meadows ...i remember my father telling me that story
Old 04-16-2008, 08:22 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The problem with the street racing scene these days is kids think it's a time to hangout and party. IT'S STREET RACING, not a spectator sport. Not that I sanction street racing, but the only people there should be the ones doing the running and not a bunch of kids hanging out on dates. If they want to do that, go to the track and spectate.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont mind spectators as long as they r BEHIND THE CARS!
Old 04-17-2008, 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Wow its definetly gotten gayer. My mom always tells me stories of when she was in high school back in the 70's at Lincoln and they used to drag race with all their muscle cars. She use to be rocking a '67 Stang and a '69 Mach 1.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stealth ur mom is badass!
Old 04-17-2008, 10:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
stealth ur mom is badass!
hahah yea shes pretty cool and likes to hear my racing stories too!
Old 04-18-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

At the end of the first video, it looked like that car was running from the cop and putting lengths on him.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

he was and he did!! lol

Quick Reply: old school philly street racing