Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

PA: Window Tint Questions....

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry guys but there is no 70% law in pa. and yes I know the dmv has it in there books but they don't make the laws just inforce them. you can read here and it'll explain it to you. the real question how hard are you willing to fight it? http://www.berksweb.com/users/dmv/tint/why.html enjoy your reading I think it'll open some eyes and yes what's posted here is true.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by phillyz28
just tint it and pay the fine if u get pulled over, dont remove it... the car looks better with tint. Also, if you are gonna tint it, no matter what level you go with, tint it the same level the whole way around. I would go with 25% the on the back and sides. It looks good on a black car
Only problem with that is that they can issue a ticket that makes you remove the tint within 10 days. That's what happened to my coworker with the magnum. He had 10 days to remove the tint from is front windows.

Originally Posted by dogger
I'm sorry guys but there is no 70% law in pa. and yes I know the dmv has it in there books but they don't make the laws just inforce them. you can read here and it'll explain it to you. the real question how hard are you willing to fight it? http://www.berksweb.com/users/dmv/tint/why.html enjoy your reading I think it'll open some eyes and yes what's posted here is true.
Interesting reading. I think I would probably stay at 70% or maybe slightly lower just to be safe. Last thing I need is to be hassled by the cops.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Regular

what happens if you dont remove it?
Old 04-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Launching!

That I don't know. I'll ask him tommorow night at work.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:49 AM
TECH Regular

i always thought that u had 10 days to remove it and u dont have to pay the fine. If you dont remove it within 10 days then u have to pay but i thoughts as far as it went.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 35% doors, 20% hatch. I had the same % tint on the camaro as well. My Jeep Cherokee had 5% back window and sides, 20% doors. This is 10 years worth of cars with a warning on the Cherokee once. No problems otherwise.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

if you don't remove it you can actually get a second ticket for failure to obey a written order or something to that effect. you actually would have to fight the ticket to get both thrown out. this can get very involved and it just depends how far are you willing to go to fight it.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dogger
if you don't remove it you can actually get a second ticket for failure to obey a written order or something to that effect. you actually would have to fight the ticket to get both thrown out. this can get very involved and it just depends how far are you willing to go to fight it.
thats so lame... i spent like 200 dollars on my tint. i'd rather just pay a $90 ticket and be done with it b/c i will just retint it after i pay the fine
Old 04-29-2008, 05:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It also seems like the suburb cops are the ones who tend to ticket for this. When cruising Philly, I see some beat up cars with some DARK *** tint. I'm talking prolly 2 layers of limo tint. You can't see anything. I live prolly 30 mins outside the city and the cops around me are okay. There are a few townships where I will put my windows down since the cops aren't as nice.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When the officer pulled me over, he said I had 10 days to remove it or I'd receive a ticket in the mail. Fine was $106 or so I think.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HibachiZ28
When the officer pulled me over, he said I had 10 days to remove it or I'd receive a ticket in the mail. Fine was $106 or so I think.

what did u do? i wanna know if u can just pay the fine and be done with it or if what dogger said is true and u'd get a second ticket
Old 04-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Teching In

i have 20,,on the sides and 5,, on the back
Old 05-05-2008, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phillyz28
what did u do? i wanna know if u can just pay the fine and be done with it or if what dogger said is true and u'd get a second ticket
I pulled the tint. If you pay the fine, you are good until the next officer sees you and feels like writing you a ticket. It could even be the same officer after that 10 days is up that cites you again. It's not worth the $....
Old 06-14-2008, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by HibachiZ28
That's how it worked for me.... Just one officer, after 2 years of MANY officers having been right next to me and even pulling me over once or twice... never for tint until that last damn officer who I am SURE had nothing better to do. Nothing against police officers as many of them are friends of mine, but when you pop someone for window tint that's not even that dark, you really don't have anything else important to do. I understand the officer safety factor, but still...
Yeah same thing happened to me at 2 AM today. I know that my window tints are dark and I was being told by my cop friends that they are just barely legal, but turns out some local cop gave me a citation for them. Now i'm goin to fight it because i'm in your shoes whereas many cops have been behind me, infront of me, beside me, many ways around my car - And i've never been pulled over. I've been finding everywhere on PENNDOT's site that its 70%. The cop was telling me I have 30%.

I'm also confused about how this % works. Is it the higher you go the darker it is or vice versa? My windows are DARK (great for changing clothes in the middle of a summer when your at a party which is why I like them also I feel better knowing that people cant stare at me all the time, plus i'm known to have the darkest tint in the town I think) But i never thought they were dark enough to get pulled over for.

Now to fight this I need to go to some automotive window place and have the test it and all that stuff right?

Whats also weird is that the cop folowed for quite a bit and then decided to pull me over right before I got off his turf (from town to town). So shows that cops really have nothing else better to do on a friday night/ early sat. morning.

Note that it was dark outside, its hard to see the inside of even a clear windowed car. The officer didn't do any tests just flashed his flashlight through and said its illegal. My butt it is...Hes goin to burn for this. I'm wondering if i could get him for like picking on teenager (if 19 is still considered teenager).

Thanks guys.

Last edited by TomCei11; 06-14-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

tom if your going to fight it you need to go back and look at my link I posted earlier. penndot has 70% as legal however you need to remember penndot does not make the laws harrisburg does. penndot can saw what ever they want and he police normaly go by penndot but if you take it tocourt you need to know and understand what laws effect tint and there are only two and neither one of them give a pecentage law. the one says tint cannot be darker then to allow somebody to see the interior of the car. which if this is the one you got it sounds like your guilty of. the other says no car can be tinted unless it falls under the fmvss205 which if manufactored in the last 20 years or so does. the fmvss205 applies to just about all cars and if you fight it you need to understand a little bite of how the law works to do it.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default tint?

the pa tint law changes every year. i got poped 2 times in my sliverado b/c i was 2% all the way around. it all depends on the cop. Last summer i smoked the tires off right in front of a state cop ( didn't know he was behind me opps) in my ws6. it got 5%all the way around n all i got was a careless driving. if u try to roll ur windows down and make it ovbious u'll get ticketed everytime just my 2cents
Old 06-14-2008, 08:13 PM

I have looked at that website and i'm making notes and what not and goin through the documents reviewed at it (by the way THANKS for that website lol and thats to the man who created it as well of course!). I did however check my windows today while playing tennis. I could see through not one but two windows. That was from maybe a 5-10ft. distance from my car. So in the case that you can see through them is positive.

Would someone mind stating the process i would have to take to fight this? Do I just go to the police department and say hey I want to fight this and then show my case?

Thanks. SOrry if i'm bein a pain in the butt.

-Tom-
Old 06-16-2008, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Frosty
My Z had 20% all around and I never had a problem with the cops. I remember a few years ago looking at PA's website on the law, the law is VERY broad and general, there are ways around it.
How do you figure? It hasan't changed in years. If the windows are tinted, then the windows are tinted. You get pulled over, you get nailed.

I intern at a police department, and have made traffic stops with officers. Some of the cars have been tinted, others have not. From my observation 99% of them will not stop a vehicle for window tint alone. Technically you are not allowed to have tint installed on any window of a vehicle that did not come on it from the factory in Pennsylvania. My opinion is stopping a car with tinted windows is no more dangerous than stopping an SUV or van with tinted windows from the factory. For me it's not an issue, and if I do become a police officer I would not stop a vehicle for window tint. If the cops in Florida and Arizona could handle it, then so could PA. (once again, my opinion)
Old 06-16-2008, 05:35 PM
12 Second Club

I've yet to get pulled over for tinted windows. Go read what the law says and how it's worded, there are ways around it. I never said the law changed, I said I was on PA's website a few years ago reading up on it.

If I was a cop I wouldn't pull over someone for tint. There are plenty of other things to worry about on the road, especially with the A-holes around here.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

i was told 70% because it doesnt come any darker than that from the factory on the sides.. So the cop put his little meter thing on my window and it came up 30%.. Same cop different day, maybe he wouldnt have pulled me over. I guess he was bored. Either way, i took the tint of and retinted later that day.. and afterwards wish i would have just payed the fine.

Quick Reply: PA: Window Tint Questions....