Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Im looking for an econobox DD opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have a 2001 Sunfire GT Manual (same thing as a cavalier z24) I get around 28mpg in pretty much 50/50 highway/city driving. It's been a great car to me. over 100K and not a major problem yet. Car has plenty of pep. You can even throw a few mods on it for about 200 bucks and get about 5 more horses out of it. While J-bodies may not have the greatest reputation, mine has been very good to me. I've also owned it since brand new so I've been able to run synthetic in it since the beginning. Car has been drag raced at a track also. Ran a 15.2 with just an intake and motor mounts. Got a vid on youtube of that run also. You can get them fairly cheap now too. I'd recommend a 2000+ car if it's in your price range.

Also starting in 2002 1/2 they started putting the ECOtec motors in which also have decent horsepower and good gas mileage. from 2002 to 1996 they came with a 2.4L DOHC LD9 engine.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:15 PM
TECH Resident

junk or not I only buy american, If i jump off the bandwagon its just one more person not helping us climb out of this hole. Plus i like american styling way better
Old 06-26-2008, 06:45 AM
Launching!

Depends on how much your lookin to spend. I picked up my 98 saturn with 94k on the clock for 1500 bucks. VW's are the most unreliable pos built. bunch of people I work with have them -- always problems and alway ridiculously expensive to fix. For those who say toys and hondas never break then why do I know exactly how much alternators and starters for both cost. Oh yeah its about 3x as much as a comparable gm part.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

I'm not defending imports since I do like American cars and its styling better, but since you're buying used cars, your money is not going to Japan or Korea regardless of what you buy.

Look into a 4-cyl 5 spd Grand Am or Alero, especially the '03+ ones with the EcoTec. You'll pull over 30 mpg and still have room to turn and fart if you have to.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Buy a TDI and with the money you save you can buy another trans am or vette. TDI's will get the best gas mileage out there for the money.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Go for a saturn.. I have been looking for a beater/daily driver and thats what Im going to get when the time is right!
Old 06-26-2008, 11:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by phirepower
junk or not I only buy american, If i jump off the bandwagon its just one more person not helping us climb out of this hole. Plus i like american styling way better

Originally Posted by Rhedalert
but since you're buying used cars, your money is not going to Japan or Korea regardless of what you buy.
True, but it does still send a message and also indirectly helps the resale value of preowned Japanese/Korean cars so even when buying used it can still matter.
One single sale/deal of course is not going to make much difference but if everyone uses that same thinking then it suddenly adds up fast.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:42 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WayFast84
Go for a saturn.. I have been looking for a beater/daily driver and thats what Im going to get when the time is right!
Old 06-27-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1LT1

True, but it does still send a message and also indirectly helps the resale value of preowned Japanese/Korean cars so even when buying used it can still matter.
One single sale/deal of course is not going to make much difference but if everyone uses that same thinking then it suddenly adds up fast.
I'd rather send a message by pushing some Japanese cars onto a big barge and sending them back "Return to Sender", but that's just me
Old 06-27-2008, 07:16 AM
11 Second Club

Not to be a dick, but has anyone looked to see where most "foreign" cars are made now? Last i checked a lot of them were built right here in the usa by american workers. Anyone check to see where their camaro's and firebirds where made, i am pretty sure it was Canada and my GTO was made down in Aussie land. I am all for american stuff too and thats all i own, but the thinking above is a little skewed in my opinion.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BoostedLT5
Not to be a dick, but has anyone looked to see where most "foreign" cars are made now? Last i checked a lot of them were built right here in the usa by american workers. Anyone check to see where their camaro's and firebirds where made, i am pretty sure it was Canada and my GTO was made down in Aussie land. I am all for american stuff too and thats all i own, but the thinking above is a little skewed in my opinion.

Many people are aware that the foreign companies are building some cars here due to tax breaks and other incentives, but remember the profits of the new cars still go overseas to foreign countries.

Personally, where the assembling is done does not mean much to the US except if you figure it'll employ a few hundred people with low-wage jobs.