Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

NHRA is 1000 ft now?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red97Z
When you are looking at the speeds Top Fuel cars are traveling, 320 feet isn't going to make a difference. In a worst case scenario, it would do nothing.
thats a good point, assuming all the other variables were the same, scott kalitta would have still died regardless of the 320 feet. The NHRA believes, as noted before that most VIOLENT expolisions happen after 1000 feet. I some what believe this, and i do think the number of them will decrease. But in terms a single accident it could still happen in 1000 feet.

I dont know why its so hard to make a device that can automatically deploy the parachute and or brakes in the event of a major explosion. There should be NHRA officials at the end of the track with the ability to deploy the chutes or brakes if that were to happen.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Red97Z
When you are looking at the speeds Top Fuel cars are traveling, 320 feet isn't going to make a difference. In a worst case scenario, it would do nothing.
So at Etown if they were running 1000ft and Scotts car blew up like it did and deployed the chutes you really think it would have made no difference
Old 09-15-2008, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mike@HSW

I dont know why its so hard to make a device that can automatically deploy the parachute and or brakes in the event of a major explosion. There should be NHRA officials at the end of the track with the ability to deploy the chutes or brakes if that were to happen.

Del Worsham make a device that does that I saw an interview that John Force was talking about it because they were putting it on all the Force cars. If it blows off the burst pannel or the body it opens the chutes
Old 09-15-2008, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike@HSW
Scotts car had the automatic deploy when the body flies off on it, the only problem is the car burned up his chutes. Nothing you can do about that and that is why SFI is looking at different material for them.

At top speed a Top Fuel car is traveling 440 FT per second. That extra 320 ft of shutdown area does help the cars and it helps them a lot. That is almost 2 seconds more of slow down time once they hit the chute which doesnt seem like much but it has helped the drivers out a ton.

Plus the races are that much more exciting. Ive watched a few on them and they are almost always a full race with less cars blowing the cars up. Yes the 1000ft situation sucks but it is the best thing for them to do until they can make the sport safer for the drivers.

I still cant find the blog of the crew chief who had the perfect answer to slowing the cars down and allowing them to finish more runs while running almost the same ETs and not killing the motors. Ive searched for hours and havent found it!
Old 09-15-2008, 01:32 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NJSPDER
Shortening the track was a bunch of bullshit. They did it with the claim that it is safer because the cars blow motors past the 1000' mark,
Its true, most catastrophic failures happen on the big end. Some of its due to the rev limiter, which has to be the all-time dumbest idea to slow them down.
1. Take away NITRO! There is already a shortage of the stuff and due to federal regulation it can't be purchased in big quanities, so drop the percentage a lot. It saves the teams money and it is easier on equipment
Only one problem with dropping nitro %. They easily circumvent this by adding more volume, and cranking in the timing.
2. Take away boost! Face it, you can change the amount of ovedrive in a blower all you want, with modern rotor and case designs you aren't doing much to actually lower the amount of boost they are running. Standardize the blower design and limit the PSI they are allowed to put in. It takes pressure off of parts and saves teams money since some components will last longer
This is the easiest, bestest way. Even Dale Armstrong has been telling them this for years. Apparently no one listens to him. Heck, hes only one of the most innovative minds in the sport all time.
3. Make rebuild rules! Much like F1 has gone to where you have to leave the thing together for 'X' number of passes. This will force teams to build in reliability instead of making consumable engines. Anyone who has followed the sport for a while knows how Austin used to talk about Force's "1000ft motors" openly, do they really think taking a few feet off the track has changed that mentality among the teams that can afford it?
That would hurt more than help.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bballr4567
I still cant find the blog of the crew chief who had the perfect answer to slowing the cars down and allowing them to finish more runs while running almost the same ETs and not killing the motors. Ive searched for hours and havent found it!
Dale Armstrong. Previous crew chief for Kenny Bernstein.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Dale Armstrong. Previous crew chief for Kenny Bernstein.
Thank you!!! I found it within 2 minutes!

http://www.competitionplus.com/index...6566&Itemid=24

It is a long read but it gives a complete over view of how easy it is to slow them down and not blow the motors up. Its unreal how simple it is.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

The was a device to deploy the shoots in the event of a blower explosion invented 3 or 4 years ago by Worsham. There was a rumor that Kalitta even had it on the car, but I never saw anything to confirm or deny it.
The problems they have had with these devices fall into two basic categories, electronic and mechanical. Electronic deployment systems have tested to randomly go off because of the violent vibration and extreme G's the car experiences. The mechanical systems have failed in the past because of damage they suffer in the event of a blower explosion, they are basically in the line of fire and get hung up before they release the chutes.
I do agree that having a better firewall to separate driver from engine would be a help, but with a carbon fiber body that will flex and shatter, the results of a really big boomer would be about the same. Perhaps it is time to consider a firewall that includes a cowl that extends forward to the back on the blower?
I also think it is time to put the firewall on the chassis instead of the body. The chassis being more rigid is a better mounting point than a carbon body that flexes violently just from air resistance on a run, much less a blower explosion.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1slowcar
So at Etown if they were running 1000ft and Scotts car blew up like it did and deployed the chutes you really think it would have made no difference
Your post makes no sense, if the chutes deployed it would be an entirely different story. Re-read my post.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:11 PM
FormerVendor

it probably would have made no difference. his chutes did deploy they burnt up in the fire. He would have been going maybe 10-20 mph slower which probably would have done nothing
Old 09-17-2008, 03:12 PM
FormerVendor

I just saw this on ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing...ory?id=3593470

I love how it took a few months and probably a couple hundred thousands dollars to figure this out.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:14 PM
FormerVendor

Del Worsham make a device that does that I saw an interview that John Force was talking about it because they were putting it on all the Force cars. If it blows off the burst pannel or the body it opens the chutes
i know they have one for the chutes. I meant more along the lines of both chute and brakes. the only thing that would have possibly saved him was applying the brakes. That could have slowed the car down enough so the impact wasnt as severe. I think a NHRA official should be able to remotley release the chute and apply the break.s
Old 09-17-2008, 04:11 PM
FormerVendor

"these guys" don't need anyones help to keep them safe. they are the ones that make the choice to get in the car, and drag racing came from 2 guys that said "i bet ican beat you in a 1/4 mile race" and you can run what you brung, and we don't care if you can get killed doing it because the bread of men back then were hard core. that was part of the alure to drive a race car, because if you could get killed doing it not just any joe off the street would get in one. If you are worried about dying then get another job. sure you can keep making it safer and safer until nobody gets hurt anymore and then it's like a ride at six flags just about anyone can do it, then who do you cheer for Dapper Dan or Big Daddy Don Garlits I'll take Big Daddy anytime! Scott Kalita would be the first one to speak up and say that drag racing means racing a 1/4 mile and that's how it has always been and always needs to be, now let's get in and race not whine. Remeber the drivers have a choice get in or stay out! it's that simple. why do you think Dale didn't use the hans device when almost every driver had one on in that race, and why did he always wear and open face helmet? because he was old school and when he started racing the everyday fact was that everytime you get in that race car you might not come out alive. it's part of the game if you can't handle it fan or competitor then you don't have to do it or watch it.

Last edited by bbanks; 09-17-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

When Dale died, hardly anyone in the field used any sort of head and neck restraint, much less a HANS. The best most would use is the cheap little neck roll, just a piece of foam in a soft cover basically. Many even fought against the rules when they came in.

As far as the guys being hardcore and being able to deal with death, good for them. But realize it is a two way street. Public perception and insurance are two easy ways to kill the sport all together. If steps aren't taken to keep it as safe as possible, tracks and events won't be insured, facilities won't be insured, legislation will be put in motion to stop a sport with a bad image, and then we will have no place to race.

I am lucky, I live in Jersey with 3 drag strips, a full road racing facility, 2 dirt ovals, and soon a brand new paved oval. I can't imagine how many kids would be dying in the streets if they couldn't race legally. We need tracks and safety is one more way to help keep them around.