Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Engine Builder

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Builder

I need a Vary reliable engine builder to assemble my 383 small block. Can anyone give me some leads? Anywhere in the areas of Boca Raton, Lake worth/Boynton Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, Wellington, Deerfield, Delray, etc...

Thanks, i need to start getting prices
Old 12-10-2008, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Or if anyone has any engine building experience that can help me assemble my block ( help degree the cam, assemble the whole short block ), ill be willing to pay an hourly wage.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

no one knows of anything?
Old 12-11-2008, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

hey i know a guy in lake worth that is good. I have to get a hold of him to see if he wants to take on the job right now. Do you have all the stuff for it yet?
Old 12-11-2008, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

right now i have the block and heads. In maybe 2 weeks ill have the rotating assembly, and then another 2 weeks ill have the roller cam and everything else. So probably, in the beginning of January is when ill be ready
Old 12-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 69Camaro...
right now i have the block and heads. In maybe 2 weeks ill have the rotating assembly, and then another 2 weeks ill have the roller cam and everything else. So probably, in the beginning of January is when ill be ready
Are you talking a traditional SBC? Or a LSX motor....

We have a traditional 383 stroker in the show-room now that I can sell you for less than you could assemble one and all the build specs are included. Let me know if your interested. And although we are a bit of a drive from you, you could bring your stuff and watch & learn as we assemble yours for you. Degreeing the cam, checking for proper installed spring height, proper pushrod length & lifter preload, proper rocker arm geometry & wipe pattern, and a ton of things you may not realize that go into a proper engine build.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

this is a traditional small block. What are the specs to the one that you have? It has to be a roller cam with a lift of atleast .50. I need Eagle Rods 5.7 length, eagle crank, all ARP bolts, milodon oil pan, Forged aluminum pistons and not the Hyper ones. This motor needs to be in the low 500HP range.

How long would it take for you guys to assemble the block if i had all the parts i need? It would be worth the drive
Old 12-12-2008, 07:35 AM
Banned

this is a traditional small block. What are the specs to the one that you have? It has to be a roller cam with a lift of atleast .50. I need Eagle Rods 5.7 length, eagle crank, all ARP bolts, milodon oil pan, Forged aluminum pistons and not the Hyper ones. This motor needs to be in the low 500HP range.

How long would it take for you guys to assemble the block if i had all the parts i need? It would be worth the drive
Block - 350 overbored
Crank - 400 Chevy
Rods - GM Steel
Cam - Comp Cams - Hydraulic roller - .510 Intake - .520 Exh. - 230/236 duration at .050 - 110 Lobe Seraration
Lifters - Hydraulic rollers (Comp Cams or Crane, not sure which)
Rocker arms - Crane aluminum 11750-16
Head gasket - Fel-Pro
Intake Gasket - Fel-Pro
Head bolts - ARP-134-3601
Push rods - hardened
Spark plugs - Champion RC9YC
Heads - Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads TFS-31400001 - Intake matched to the Fel-Pro gaskets
Balancer - Fluidamper
Oil pan - High capacity

No, carb, distributor, fuel pump, water pump or pulleys. Other than these parts, the engine is complete.

Also have alum water pump & soild state dist for MSD ign if needed.

$2700 obo.

Here are some more pics....have all the build docs with it:

I also added a Vic Jr we had here to it & have a like new holley 750 double pumper for $300 more if needed.

This motor is in the 450hp/tq range, but a more aggressive cam could bring it up a bit.....all the rest is what you want. We also have a low 500 hp 14-1 compression 400 but you would need to run race gas.

Or we have a complete carb-to pan 402, bow-tie block w/splayed main caps, all forged parts a step above the Eagle line, 600hp/tq range that is only 11-1 for pump gas for $7500, never fired:

All forged BowTie splayed cap 402. Internally balanced, Ohio Crankshafts best forged crank and I beam rods, gas ported forged pistons, 11.1 CR (93 octaine), ASR ported aluminum heads, comp cam, comp magnum roller lifters, comp magnum roller rockers, billet timing chain cover with center access window for quick timing changes, Victor Jr intake, AED 850 carb worked by Gary Williams, MSD billet distributor, Jegs high-torque mini starter, melling hi-vol oil pump, ARP studs & fastners throughout, Moroso Vacume Pump w/fittings, billet fuel regulator, Moroso 8 quart pan, SFI dampner & flex-plate.

This is complete, carb to pan and add up the parts...this is regularly over $12K.....Special, $9k complete!!!

Excellent bad-*** pump gas motor for a street-rod or street-strip build. App 650 HP/650 Tq.

If you have all the correct parts and no machining is needed plan on spending 2 days for the build.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

im really looking for a complete short block because i already have the heads, intake, carb. Do you happen to have a dyno sheet of it?

But i really didn't want to buy anyone's motor because of people falsely claiming what the HP was and what internals they had in it. I wanted to buy all my own parts and have a really good reputable shop or friend put it together so that i know im not getting ripped off. Thats why i would never buy a motor from Ebay because you simply don't know what components they used unless you tare the motor apart.

This is why i bought my crate motor from Year one that claimed 475HP and it performs and runs perfectly. I know that a professional put it together and i had a good company to back it up
Old 12-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Banned

im really looking for a complete short block because i already have the heads, intake, carb. Do you happen to have a dyno sheet of it?

But i really didn't want to buy anyone's motor because of people falsely claiming what the HP was and what internals they had in it. I wanted to buy all my own parts and have a really good reputable shop or friend put it together so that i know im not getting ripped off. Thats why i would never buy a motor from Ebay because you simply don't know what components they used unless you tare the motor apart.

This is why i bought my crate motor from Year one that claimed 475HP and it performs and runs perfectly. I know that a professional put it together and i had a good company to back it up
I have a 402 4 bolt main short-block, forged crank, forged H-beam rods, forged high dome pistons for a decent price....but depending on the heads you use it will be pretty high CR. needing some race gas.....

The 383 sold today to the owner of Mullis Race Cars. As far as proffesionals...our main engine builder is a graduate of S.A.M. (school of automotive machinests), I'm a graduate of Reher Morrison race engine building school, and we have owned & run one of the winningest big$ bracket teams in the Eastern US for the past 7 years not counting 2008, (no longer have time for the full team schedule so we are down to local & divisional racing now). With a short-block it is easy enough to look at the internals to verify what your getting as well.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Still in need of an engine builder in south Florida.

Tlewis, would your shop sell me a 383 stroker kit? Or would i be able to give you like a parts list?

Ive been doing a ton of researching. I'm now looking at a Eagle Cast crank, H-Beam rods, Forged pistons for a 10.1 comp., Hyd. Roller of a lift of at least .540, Milodon Pan, hardened pushrods, Felpro headgaskets gaskets, ARP head bolts or ARP studs, Double roller timing chain, 6.75 damper, King or Clevite bearings, TCI flexplate, etc...

Id rather do business with one company, so i dont have to jump from one to the other trying to find the best deals. Or, do you still have any short block packages?
Old 12-19-2008, 06:38 AM
Banned

Yes, we can provide all the parts needed and your list is not a bad choice.

Still in need of an engine builder in south Florida.

Tlewis, would your shop sell me a 383 stroker kit? Or would i be able to give you like a parts list?

Ive been doing a ton of researching. I'm now looking at a Eagle Cast crank, H-Beam rods, Forged pistons for a 10.1 comp., Hyd. Roller of a lift of at least .540, Milodon Pan, hardened pushrods, Felpro headgaskets gaskets, ARP head bolts or ARP studs, Double roller timing chain, 6.75 damper, King or Clevite bearings, TCI flexplate, etc...

Id rather do business with one company, so i dont have to jump from one to the other trying to find the best deals. Or, do you still have any short block packages?
Old 12-19-2008, 06:06 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eagle sells a rotating kit for about $2 grand that has forged piston, rods, cranks and misc pieces. You can also go cast crank and rods w/ forged piston as a kit and save about $600-800. They work great (at least I've had great luck with them).

Derek
Old 12-20-2008, 08:50 AM
11 Second Club

69Camaro, I shopped locally and the internet for prices on everything from BMR suspension parts to Comp Cams cam, springs, etc. and Tracy at RevXtreme beat all prices. Great guy to deal with and knows his stuff.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

Call Howard Spires he will set you up very smart man and very honest person.

Last edited by Villain281H; 12-29-2008 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Removed non-sponsor information
Old 12-29-2008, 02:22 PM
7 Second Club

Please keep non-sponsor contact info out of responses.

Derek

Quick Reply: Engine Builder