Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Just got a ticket and am planning on fighting it

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know exactly where you're talking about as I get off at that exit a few days a week. There's 2 lanes that go to a light, and a further right lane that has a yield sign as you turn right onto University. That lane eventually turns into the turn lane to turn right on dean. I just looked on google maps and it doesn't seem to have an updated satellite picture of the area.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The streetview on google maps has it.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

I hope it goes better for you than it did for me. My Judge said it was my word against his and he "The officer " was a public servant who gets paid no more no matter which way he tells the story. I then asked if he could reduce the ticket because of my good record and it was a honest mistake and he let me go with a fine only...no points or record. Proof that its about the $$$. I can tell you that several people that day presented good cases and he slammed the hammer on everybody that would not plea and pay!!! Good luck !!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2009, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

I Think I have a good chance of winning with the picture evidence that I'm going to take tomorrow and a good explanation of what I think the officer saw compared to what I really did.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Traffic Lawyer, the only way to go to court in corrupt FL, remember the Cops and Judges work for someone else, NOT you, and it's all about the money!

I went to court with a witness one time, thats 2 against 1, and I lost, never again without Traffic Lawyer
Old 03-03-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So did you go to court today then? Results?
Old 03-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Teching In

In order to give an informed opinion, I would need to know:
1) Exactly what does the ticket say? Any comments? Does it indicate you ran the red light traveling straight down University? Otherwise it sounds like there isn't a red light you could have ran if turning right, onto University.
2) Do you have any way to prove that you were on 417? E-pass? Receipt? (Yeah I know but had to ask...) If not, you might be screwed if he says you were never on 417.

Was it FHP or Orange County? If I had proof that I was on 417 I wouldn't even wait for court. I would go straight to the Sherrif's office and show them proof that there was no red light to run at that intersection when merging from 417 onto University. Their superior officers may be able to stop the ticket before it gets processed if you're fast enough. Then you won't have to miss an entire day of work either. That's a long shot but it might save you some aggrivation. If they listen to you but refuse to admit they were in the wrong I'd request to file a complaint against whoever wrote you the ticket. They should be held accountable for putting people through undeserved aggrivation and expense.

But again this is all hinged on you being able to either prove that you were on 417. Otherwise he will say that you were traveling down University... unless he noted that you were coming from 417 which would be your lucky day.

If not then your sister who was following you because you were going to lunch, church or to visit your grandpa in the nursing home might be able to testify for you... wink wink nudge nudge

Whether you are in the police station or traffic court, dress professionally, remain calm, be as patient and polite as possible, restrain emotions such as rage and anger which I'm sure will pop their ugly heads up.

Sorry for the lengthy post here but this is how I got screwed...
I lost my most recent trip to court when I thought it was a slam dunk. A, luckily empty, semi turned right from a center lane when I was in the turn lane. I had pictures of my Camaro under his flat bed, pictures of the skid marks that his trailer tires made when they struck my car beginning just on my side of the white line, and the law states you can't change your course of motion without making sure that the way is clear, blinker or not (which he never used). Unfortunatle I was stuck behind an old fart 3 miles before then going 35 in a 45. I got a narrow chance to pass him and I did, in 2nd, hammer down at about 65mph. I had about 3 cards to pass and had to get the job done. Evidently it pissed him off enough that he returned to the scene 45 minutes after passing by, told the cops he saw everything and that the truck was in the turn lane and I somehow squoze my car on the right hand side to pass him at a high rate of speed, stiking the trailer tires and coming to rest under it. They saw a youngish guy in a bright orange SS with the top down and said, "yep that makes sense!" So I got a careless driving ticket. The truck driver didn't even show up to court. But the old guy did... nothing better to do... He testified that I blew past him with a loud car going really fast. So I asked him where. Up by the transfer station and soccer fields? "Yep" Did I slow down? "Nope" So I explained that the passing incident occured approximately 3 miles ahead of where the truck hit me. If I was going 20mph faster, how could he have been right behind me to witness the crash? His reply was,"I don't know. You must have eventually slowed down and I caught up." That's all the judge needed to hear... Guilty! Full fine! Court Costs! 12 hour driving class! I still need to "Roundup" that guy's lawn!
Old 03-04-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

i have never known a person to be found guilty when going to fight a ticket. i went once and the cop didn't even show, so it was dismissed. usually if you can prove your case it comes down to if his is better.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Filing a complaint against a cop is a waste of time if you honestly think to yourself that's going to go anywhere , then hey "good luck". As far as the ticket goes your better of paying the fine or get an attorney they will go to court for you, no points and everyone is happy.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

usually if you have a lawyer it's a 99% chance of winning. no one gets a lawyer for a ticket unless they are 100% sure they didn't violate any laws.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

I have a court date and took pictures yesterday and was able to get my hearing on my day off so just got to develop the pictures and blow them up large enough to show the judge and officer that I did nothing wrong.

I already stated everything that I did in great detail of where I was so I'm not going to explain it again. If you can't read a entire post or the entire posts of what has been said in this thread than I'm sorry but re-read what I wrote it is very easy to see where I was and what I did.

Just wish me luck on this cause I know I was in the right and the officer still didn't want to hear any of it. Just wrote his ticket and go back to getting 100's more that day during that traffic sting.

And I can't even begin to afford a lawyer as to why I'm fighting the ticket myself. I am pretty good with legal knowledge and have already advised some friend of a friend people that have helped me out and they know the intersection and what I did and they believe I should have the case and ticket dropped.

Thanks for the help and info though. Good stories to read as well.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

they have lawyers that don't cost anything unless you win. but that may only be for suing cases in which case this helps you none lol
Old 03-04-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSrussman
I already stated everything that I did in great detail of where I was so I'm not going to explain it again. If you can't read a entire post or the entire posts of what has been said in this thread than I'm sorry but re-read what I wrote it is very easy to see where I was and what I did.
The guy above knows what you said. But, he was asking for exactly what was on the ticket....i.e. what violation, what statute, and at what location. All he's doing is trying to help man. I just reread the whole thread and don't see a statute number, or exact wording from the ticket.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

The ticket is in my car right now and it's staying there that way I know where it is at all times cause I have to bring that with me to the court-room, and he cited me for running a red light while turning east bound onto university coming from the 417 south bound exit. I don't remember the statute number but that's all that was in the comment area on the ticket. They have fansy print outs of tickets so now they don't have to write out anything.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Sorry for asking too many questions. I reread everything again and still never saw where you said if you had a way to prove you were on 417 or what statute you actually got written up for but I won't ask again. Doesn't matter. Just do your homework and you should be able to get everything worked out. Here is a link to the Florida Statutes...
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...6/titl0316.htm
You probably got tagged with 316.074. Read up on EVERYTHING. Be prepared! And best of luck...

Quick Reply: Just got a ticket and am planning on fighting it