Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Ticket Worth Fighting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Angry Ticket Worth Fighting?

i got a $150 ticket for "cutting through a parking lot to avoid a traffic light. worth 3 points!
it wasnt trespassing and i didnt avoid the light. i was doing it to get in line to wait to go across. never was i going to or could avoid a traffic light. i was just going to get in the line when someone let me go. i have done it many times.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not even sure how you could fight that... I don't know how you could prove you weren't doing it.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

easy. you cant avoid the light with this parking lot. i first went through the light to turn around and go back through another way
Old 03-25-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a lawyer. 3 points is a pretty hefty amount.

What intersection is it?
Old 03-25-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

old st augustine and loretto at 7ish this morning
Old 03-25-2009, 02:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

fight it. that is almost as bs as a cop giving you a ticket because there were reports of you speeding.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmmm interesting intersection for sure. Id fight it just on the pure grounds its an expensive ticket.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

Fight it for sure
Old 03-25-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Crlo
I'm not even sure how you could fight that... I don't know how you could prove you weren't doing it.
You seem to completely lack an understanding of our justice system's single most fundamental rule: innocent until proven guilty.

You never have to prove you're not guilty. They have to prove you are guilty.

Oh, and I'm 100% certain that the OP is guilty from his own story, so he should just keep his mouth shut and let his lawyers do the talking.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would call a traffic attonery though. Fight it for sure.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

use the ticket clinic
Old 03-26-2009, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

fight the power!
Old 03-26-2009, 07:52 AM
Launching!

OP, my buddy used a lawyer in the jacksonville area who got his streetracing and speeding reduced to court couse +100 for the lawyer. EXCELLENT service, and cheap to. You really dont want those three points, I'll get the guys name and PM you.

Blake
Old 03-26-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

how much would the court fees cost conmpared to driving school and the ticket
Old 03-26-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its not the court fees you got to worry about. Its the 3 points on your insurance!! Thatll take 3 years to come off since is a major moving violation and will kill you hardcore.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

but if i win the points are off
Old 03-27-2009, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sharpe
You seem to completely lack an understanding of our justice system's single most fundamental rule: innocent until proven guilty.

You never have to prove you're not guilty. They have to prove you are guilty.

Oh, and I'm 100% certain that the OP is guilty from his own story, so he should just keep his mouth shut and let his lawyers do the talking.
I think I understand the justice system quite well due to the fact I have worked in a law office for almost 5 years and take the LSAT in June... To fight a ticket you are going to need to present quite a bit of evidence to prove your innocent because the cop has to do jack **** to prove your guilty. The convo goes something like this-

Judge: Is the defendant guilty of doing this?
Cop: Yes, I saw him do it.
Judge: Case closed...

How do you expect to fight a ticket without having anything to support your claim of being innocent? I think you are the one who may be a little confused on how the justice system works... innocent until proven guilty... then the cops says your guilty, the judge believes him over you almost always, and you have nothing to support your innocent claim, great idea.

OP if in fact the parking lot cannot be used as a shortcut around the parking lot as you say, take detailed pictures, have everything nicely organized, tabbed, labeled, and fastened for the judge with exactly what you are going to say ready and maybe you will have a chance. However, remember that I am not an attorney, and it would behoove you to seek professional legal advice/representation...
Old 03-27-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Crlo
I think I understand the justice system quite well due to the fact I have worked in a law office for almost 5 years and take the LSAT in June... To fight a ticket you are going to need to present quite a bit of evidence to prove your innocent because the cop has to do jack **** to prove your guilty. The convo goes something like this-

Judge: Is the defendant guilty of doing this?
Cop: Yes, I saw him do it.
Judge: Case closed...

How do you expect to fight a ticket without having anything to support your claim of being innocent? I think you are the one who may be a little confused on how the justice system works... innocent until proven guilty... then the cops says your guilty, the judge believes him over you almost always, and you have nothing to support your innocent claim, great idea.

OP if in fact the parking lot cannot be used as a shortcut around the parking lot as you say, take detailed pictures, have everything nicely organized, tabbed, labeled, and fastened for the judge with exactly what you are going to say ready and maybe you will have a chance. However, remember that I am not an attorney, and it would behoove you to seek professional legal advice/representation...
All of your "experience" aside. I have fought a ticket based only on my word against the officers and I won. soo yeah.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As a cop who goes to traffic court just about every week, it's my experience that about 95% of the citations written, stick in court. Every now and then someone puts up a good enough arguement that the case gets dismissed, but they are few and far between.

If you have a fairly clean record, you can plead no contest and ask for a withhold. You pay the fine and court costs but no points. If you have a less than stellar driving record, a traffic lawyer is the way to go. You will stay pay fine, court costs, plus attorney fee, but chances are the cop and the judge will work with them to get you out of the points. Just my 2 cents on the topic, take it for what it is.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregg 00SS
As a cop who goes to traffic court just about every week, it's my experience that about 95% of the citations written, stick in court. Every now and then someone puts up a good enough arguement that the case gets dismissed, but they are few and far between.

+37

youre not going to talk your way out of it. get a lawyer if you really want a shot or ask for the with hold.

Quick Reply: Ticket Worth Fighting?