Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Miami People! Flood+SS= Possibly Hydrolock

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by _JB_
Damn hope its ok. I've been in FL for two weeks now and I have to say the drain systems for the roads suck. In MI there is hardly any standing water on the roads; but the roads are not as smooth lol.
Yeah, but does it rain 4"s in an hour there? Or 4 to 8"s a day for weeks on end?? Yeah the drainage sucks, but with as much rain as we have been getting lately its hard to keep the water draining well. The ground is super saturated and that just sucks. I have emptied about 3"s of water out of my pool just about every day this week. Plays hell with the chemicals.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Default Yea it's a goner

Originally Posted by maxgee
The iron blocks only weigh 65lbs more than the aluminum and can be had for cheap. If you want and ls1, I'm selling mine and pulling it out this coming weekend. I'm selling used complete block and heads.
The heads are 6.0 trucks heads, I also have the stock 5.7. $1500 for assembled block and motor. pm if you are interested.
Oh wow! that's a negligible weight difference.

Here's some more eye candy for you guys. I went under the car to remove the starter when I found this...

Yea that's a chunk of the skirt of the block that's just dangling on the side of the starter lol. Needless to say Maxgee I will be PM'ing you shortly lol.

Originally Posted by mnypitZ
Yeah, but does it rain 4"s in an hour there? Or 4 to 8"s a day for weeks on end?? Yeah the drainage sucks, but with as much rain as we have been getting lately its hard to keep the water draining well. The ground is super saturated and that just sucks. I have emptied about 3"s of water out of my pool just about every day this week. Plays hell with the chemicals.
Correct. Also the fact that in most places around populated areas on FL, there's really only about a foot of actual "soil" before you hit limestone (in my backyard I have about a foot and a half down to the limestone). So really there isn't much soil to really absorb the amounts of rain we have had the last few weeks. The best they can do is keep draining the canals.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

dude that sucks good luck with everything keep us posted on the progress
Old 06-07-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mnypitZ
Friday night I was in a storm and could only go ~50MPH without feeling the car slow down. I've been in worse storms back home going 75-85MPH, with no problems.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Teching In

OK, I havent had much time to work on the car due to work. But I had Thursday off and I wasnt able to get as much done as I wanted to. Being that the car is all original, you can safely assume that ALL possible bolts and nuts that could have been a pain in the rear WERE a pain in the rear. Anyways, this is what I was able to get done that day...
- Removed driveshaft (this was actually super easy)
- Removed stock torque arm (Jesus there is no space to work around that tranny mount!)
- Removed starter (mind you, Haynes says to remove the cat... I tried that, lets just say I gave up and I just wiggled and yanked that starter out LMAO! BTW, Probably due to my attempts to start it before I knew the engine was a goner, the snout case of the starter is split- need a new starter)
- Drained the cooling system
- Loosened the AC compressor mounting bolts (Still need to rig up a way to keep it in the engine bay without disconnecting the lines)

Since I can't get the damn exhaust bolts out, I'm just going to go downtown with my sawzall and cut the exhaust pipes after the stock cats. I gave up on the bolts.

Im going to go outside and hopefully I will have this engine out in the next few hrs.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Ok so I went over to Maxgee's house and I got to see how to PROPERLY remove an engine LOL. Needless to say today I was very productive. I had to come to work so my work on the car got cut short, but....

- Whole harness is seperated and ready to go
- AC is emptied out
- Removed AC condenser, radiator, and fan shroud
- Loosened the sway bar body mount

Question- Should I just remove the sway bar all together or can I drop it together with the front subframe?

All I have left for tomorrow morning is disonnect the clutch line, disconnect the 2 brake lines for the front brakes, and unbolt the steering linkage. w00h00!!!!!

Thank to all you guys for the assistance in tips and ideas and offers. Very much appreciated!!
Old 06-15-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In hialeah the manhole covers were lifting up. Damn that sucks the big one!!
Old 06-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Teching In

ok some eye candy of the progress!

Engine completely separated from the body

Ghetto extensions

About to lower it onto the crate

Almost done... and here came the F'ING thunderstorm arg!!!!!!

Im super happy that I've gotten this far in a car that is still new to me. Im waiting for the storm to subside so I can go back out there and bring the engine into the garage so I could dismantle it. Go LS1Tech!
Old 06-17-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Keep at it!
Old 06-17-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

more pictures more pictures
Old 06-17-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like power harness is still attached, don't forget it.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

damn i hope your engine isn't lock up dude.......best wishes to you and your car bro
Old 06-18-2009, 11:11 AM
7 Second Club

Lota of progress from a water puddle Good luck getting her fixed up and back on the road soon!

Derek
Old 06-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by maxgee
Looks like power harness is still attached, don't forget it.
Nah it wasnt. It's all unplugged and it was just sitting on top of the engine

Originally Posted by R.E.double.D.
damn i hope your engine isn't lock up dude.......best wishes to you and your car bro
Thanks man

Originally Posted by Villain281H
Lota of progress from a water puddle Good luck getting her fixed up and back on the road soon!

Derek
Tell me about it! A friend is selling his GS430 fully loaded, Navi and all for $7500 and I was like hmmmz!!!!! lol

Ok got the engine out! I had a battalion of friends come over and we got the sucka out (mind you, whent hey say buy a METAL crate, BUY A METAL CRATE, not a plastic one with "metal bars for reinforcement" that is rated at 1000lbs... because it will bend and the the casters may just buckle). Yea that's why I couldnt get it out yesterday. It's out now! Tranny is also separated. Here are some pictures!

Yesterday while it was coming out (attempting to)

Bahahah!!! In the garage finally!

Nice big hole huh?

I have to go to work now. Tomorrow night I want to take the heads off and see if this caused any damage to the valves on that cylinder.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Staging Lane

We got stuck in the same storm but in a 2008 Lexus SC 430. We blew the #5 piston thru the block. The interior had about 2 inches in her. The insurance company is reparing the car as we speak. I am very lucky I did not take the Z06 to work that day. It was a bad storm. Good luck with the SS.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

keep the pix commin we wanna see more
Old 06-21-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

good luck man.... i had the same thing happen to my maxima a few yrs back..... i know how shitty it feels
Old 06-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WS6 MIAMI
We got stuck in the same storm but in a 2008 Lexus SC 430. We blew the #5 piston thru the block. The interior had about 2 inches in her. The insurance company is reparing the car as we speak. I am very lucky I did not take the Z06 to work that day. It was a bad storm. Good luck with the SS.

Originally Posted by 1986irocz28
keep the pix commin we wanna see more
Originally Posted by liqidvenom
good luck man.... i had the same thing happen to my maxima a few yrs back..... i know how shitty it feels
Thanks for the condolences lol.

OK! Did some progress the last few days...

IM off and cleaned off the heads and valley cover a bit

Ewww!!!!! Im gonna catch the cooties!! LOL

Bottom of the heads dirty... (mind you this is of course cleaner than how it was when I removed them, I had already scrapped off the mating surfaces for this picture)

Bottom of the heads wire brushed

Closeup of the progress (left is done, right is just scraped)

I checked the heads for warpage, and I couldnt get a 0.003" feeler gauge between a straight edge and the head. I dont know exactly what the tolerance for these heads is but that is pretty dang straight to me lol. Also, I pulled off the valves on the rear most cylinders of both heads to make sure they didnt get bent, and werd! They are straight. So these heads are good to be reused. All pushrods are straight as well.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Clutch and FW- Surprisingly, for a clutch with 95k on it, it has plenty of material left before it gets down to the rivets, on either side. I do have to resurface both the FW and the PP. I'll take them with me when I take the heads to get resurfaced

a pic of my cracked starter before I threw it out lol

Factory 02 Manifolds if anyone is interested. I have LTs coming and I have no use for these- make me a reasonable offer

I have no f'ing clue how this happened, but I didnt notice until a few drops fell on my leg lol

OK! so tomorrow it's off to the machine shop for resurfacing the pressure plate, flywheel, and heads. Then to the parts store to buy an AC idler and tensioner pulley (they seem to have gotten extra rough from the flood water so I'd rather replace them now). Probably will polish the valve covers as well tomorrow.

All the real work I could do to this motor is about done until the headers coming in so I place the heads back on the block to mock the headers and cut w/e I need from the girdle, then just wait for the shortblock to be ready for me to pick it up.

BTW, is there such a thing as a downloadable factory service manual for our cars? I had a Nissan Maxima before and anytime I did something to the engine internals I followed that FSM to the letter, made life much easier.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i couldnt find a fsm for my v either. not sure how on earth people do serious engine work to their cars without some sort of guide like that.

and the blood most likely came from those damn headers.... always sharp

Quick Reply: Miami People! Flood+SS= Possibly Hydrolock