Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Miami People! Flood+SS= Possibly Hydrolock

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 01:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like shes comming along nicely im glad everything is working out keep us posted
Old 06-23-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

The EXACT same thing happened to my SS.

I was going like 2 MPH through a parking lot after a huge storm through a puddle and all of a sudden I had no oil pressure and the car was knocking like a bitch.

I through the 7 and 8 rods out of the block, but my insurance paid for it.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Okay, so I went to the machine shop, I dropped off the heads to get shot-blasted, re-decked, and 3-angle valve job'd. Also I asked him to replace the valve seals and guides AS NEEDED. Flywheel is going to get resurfaced.

He told me he doesnt re-surface pressure plates, so maybe tomorrow I'll hit it up with a 120-grit on a power sander lol. The rust is easy to remove, but the actual friction surface, I just want to get the hot spots out of it.

Aside from that, there was an issue with the headers' shipment which was easily rectified with the shipper, so I may get them tomorrow.

So far so good!
Old 06-24-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sell u centerforce for 75 used
Old 06-24-2009, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by maxgee
Sell u centerforce for 75 used
lol nah thanks man. My clutch disc still has plenty girth to it (SOMEHOW! I was expecting the thing to be close to writing its will with 95k on the clock. But I know the previous owner- although neglectful at maintenance, drove it religiously nicely, always shifting before 2k and all).
Old 06-26-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Regular

Wow man I havent been in that area in forever, wtf happened? Hurricane or just rly bad rain?
Old 06-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by USArmyZ28
Wow man I havent been in that area in forever, wtf happened? Hurricane or just rly bad rain?
11 inches of rain in under two hours in the small island of south beach= massive flooding lol

Hee hee. Went to the machine shop and picked up a little some some...

Flywheel

Cylinder head (It's a freaking mirror!)

A closer look at the chambers

I am off from work until Thursday afternoon. By then, this car better be on the road. Im going to be putting in full days of work until it is done. Here we go!
Old 06-28-2009, 03:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

good luck man looking good
Old 06-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Ok here's an update!

Want to see the actual damage that took place inside my old engine?

Werd. Anyways, picked up the new engine last nite and put the new oil pan in there (thanks Maxgee). I had errands to run this morning so I couldnt start on the engine until about 1pm. But, I was able to degrease it a bit, changed the rear main seal, put on the flywheel and clutch (PP got upgraded to a used Centerforce in mint condition), swapped motor mounts, bolted the engine to the girdle, torqued down the heads, torqued down the rockers, installed the wire-brushed valve covers, changed the o-rings and foam pads on the intake manifold... that was it for today. Here's a few pics of the progress...

After a thorough scrubbing

Bolted to the girdle with the clutch assembly installed

One last shot of the sexy heads before they go on

All TQ'd down

New seals and foam pads

I didnt take any pics of the engine with the valve covers because in that low lighting by the time I finished simply would not have done them any justice, so that will wait for tomorrow. This all got done from 1pm to 6pm, then 645p to 830pm. Not bad at all. Im not trying to rush it. Im double checking my worke very step of the way so I dont have any surprises later.

That's it for now. I shall continue tomorrow!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Looks like some good work that sucks about your car
Old 06-29-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

haha
looks like you will have yours back before me!! lol

i cleaned up my block today. found out the ls1 arp bolts won't work for the ls2...so gotta order those tomorrow.

doing some changes to the turbo routing.
i take some pix tomorrow night and post up.

f.s. ls1 headbolts. $50 bux.. local pick only.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by maxgee
haha
looks like you will have yours back before me!! lol

i cleaned up my block today. found out the ls1 arp bolts won't work for the ls2...so gotta order those tomorrow.

doing some changes to the turbo routing.
i take some pix tomorrow night and post up.

f.s. ls1 headbolts. $50 bux.. local pick only.
dang man, if only you had called me about the headbolts maybe 1/2 hr prior I would have hopped for the ARPs lol. W/e, the new OEM GM bolts were already torqued down by that time so it's cool. Someone else should definitely take advantage of this!
Old 06-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Wow what a day! Today I got a few things done (from noon until ~9pm with two 1-hr breaks in between for errands and food)-
- Got a new ARP crank bolt at Murrays
- I had a muffler shop in the area remove my cats off the stock exhaust (straight pipe them since I was told they were out of stock on the headers I ordered... and of course right after I go pick up the old manifolds, UPS comes with a big "Pacesetter" box [faaaawk!] lol)
- Installed the headers (of course I have to grind down the lip on the driver side) Wow so happy they came in when they did, putting on the headers with the engine out of the car took me all but 10 mins WITH the grinding of the girdle, not a full day like when in the car lol
- Installed all the accessories
- Degreased the transmission inside the bell housing and out, then bolted it up
- Cleaned out the throttle body from the crap that was still stuck in the IAC valve from the dirty flood water
- Fixed some of the wiring on the harness that I damaged during removal
- Re-did the PCV system routing in the back of the IM since the stock rubber 2-into-one peice had a nice big hole on it this whole time! I cut it off, trimmed the plastic hose from the driver side and used a t-fitting with hose I bought. It's going to work great and I wont have to worry about it ever melting

A very productive day indeed. If all goes well, this thing should be cranking tomorrow late afternoon.

Stock rubber piece crumbled up

Replacement

All the accessories

HEADERS and the Grinding I had to do!!!!

Trans1

Trans2

Transmission bolted up- The things you have to rig up sometimes when you're working by yourself lol

Last edited by 95BLKMAX; 06-30-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

looking great man glad to see its getting back together quickly get some video and some pics when its finally in and running
Old 07-01-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

I've been reading this whole thread from the beginning, and it seems that life threw you a curveball and you capitalized on it. Congratulations!
Old 07-01-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You've been working damn fast, nice job!
Old 07-02-2009, 08:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1986irocz28
looking great man glad to see its getting back together quickly get some video and some pics when its finally in and running
Originally Posted by The SSheriff
I've been reading this whole thread from the beginning, and it seems that life threw you a curveball and you capitalized on it. Congratulations!
Originally Posted by KameleonTransAm
You've been working damn fast, nice job!
I appreciate all the input guys, thanks. And yes, like the saying goes "when life throws you lemons, make lemonade". Cant sit and dwell of how hard life can be, got to take the opportunities that the events may bring up and capitalize on them.

Ok well, I dont have any picture worthy material to show at the moment, but I can say that yesterday I....
- Found a bolt to use as a coolant plug on the side of the head (lost it)
- Refilled transmission
- Swapped the crank pulley from the old motor and upgraded to an ARP crank bolt
- Installed belts
- Laid out the harness (and did the $0.50 !CAGS FTW!!!!!!! lol)
- Fixed the alternator harness (during removal, I accidentally yanked the alternator wire right out of it's plug. I tried opening the connector itself and just stuffing it in there- didnt work. SO... since out of the 4 terminals only 1 is used, I got a gold-plated audio 22ga female spade connector, adjusted the end as needed and it worked PERFECT, so w00h00!)
- Hacked up the TQ arm bushing bracket to fit the new urethane bushing for the BMR TQ arm getting installed
- Pushed the engine back under the car and bolted it to the body finally! (thanks Alex, AKA Supermeng!)
- Bolted up the fuel rail/ hooked up the clutch line

Lot of little things are left for today.

#1, the new oil pan I bought FROM THE DEALER came with a different oil filter adapter, so I tried the 3 different filters I had in the garage (purolator, fram and bosch) and neither would thread. So Im going to swap adapters from my old motor so I can finally put on the oil filter and fill the engine with oil.

#2- I threw out the starter with the nuts for it, so I need to get a small little nut for the ign signal wire terminal

#3- On the passenger side, I have no clue how some guys run their harness around these big *** headers without the harness coming into contact with the headers at some point. Im going to get some of my left over exhaust wrap from my Turbo Maxima days and wrap the actual harness in the part where it gets close to the tubes

Other than those issues, the rest is just procedure as to what's left in order to fire it up. HOPEFULLY I can get this done today before work so I can finally drive my back right back into southbeach for work with the t-tops off cus I have no AC until this weekend

Wish me luck!
Old 07-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Teching In

Well Im back at work, so I couldnt finish it on time lol. But yesterday morning I...

- Was able to figure out that this new oil pan is meant for filter PF48 instead of the original PF46. It's the same size but the thread pitch is different (fine thread vs coarse thread from what I can tell)
- Torque down the steering column bolt and the girdle to body bolts
- Installed the starter and figured out a way to zip tie the harness in a way so as for it not to come into contact with the headers (w00h00!, I love zip ties!)
- Extended the o2 sensor wiring harness on the passenger side
- Finished hooking up the harness and PCM, put the interior back together
- Installed the condesor/ radiator/ fans and filled up the radiator
- Hooked up the brake lines

Here's some random pics as of yesterday... we'll see if maybe today after work I can get it to crank.

This is the alternator harness rig (top notch!)

Everything bolted up in the car w00h00!!!!

The headers are open at the moment

The front of the back finally back on the ground (the car is MUCH lower than this, it's just that the rear is still up on bricks and plus a month with no weight on it, the springs probably will re-settle.

Almost there! Just need to bolt up the TQ arm, the drive shaft, torque down the ARP crank bolt, extend the O2 sensor harness on the driver side and crack it over! If all is well I'll put the y-pipe on and bleed the brakes and it's ready to drive! We'll see if the weather this afternoon allows me!
Old 07-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Teching In

I drove it today for the first time in exactly a month since blowing the old engine :-D

Drives super smooth. I was able to do everything I set out to except for the bleeding of the clutch.

I still have some minor trouble shooting to deal with tomorrow morning. I have a pin-hole leak on my upper rad hose (from p/s cooler to radiator neck), and also I have a vacuum leak from hell that I cannot track down for the life of me. It is causing my RPMs to idle at 1600 upon initial start up, then up to 2000 when cruising to drop down to 1700 once I come to a full stop. All my vacuum lines were routed correctly to the best of my knowledge, the intake manifold was torqued down correctly with new seals as well. Either my IAC valve is stuck open or there's a leak somewhere that I have simply yet to find!

But so far so good! she's back on the road! Thank you guys for all the hints and stuff.

Any hints on this idle/ rpm issue? how does the car behave when the MAF is bad? That's the only thing that I was concerned about when doing this- that the MAF was damaged after all that water rushed through it. But I just dont know how a bad MAF affects the F-body. On my old Maxima it would cause a bouncy idle around 800-1200, and it would not allow you to rev passed ~2500 rpm.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

nice, glad to see you got it up and running.
hook a brother up with good trader rating on the motor

Quick Reply: Miami People! Flood+SS= Possibly Hydrolock