Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Crash Kills three people in Holly Hill

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guess they should open all these car movies with the final five minutes of American Graffiti then, perhaps this will de-glorify street racing?

I'll say it like I've been saying the last few year, FL, hell not even just FL anymore, the whole USA needs more tracks, and they need to be open more often. Oh I just love having to make a two hour trip to the track, hope the psychotic FL weather isn't on the rag and changing its mind every two seconds, deal with traffic, sometimes get less than five runs in. Great, tons of money, frustration and perhaps a dud trip. It sucks. There aren't any tracks by Jax yeah? How far of a drive is it to a track? Just curious. When I got my first car I wanted to run all the time, I never would have even thought of going to a track. Now I've been and yeah its great, and I don't race around town like I'm still 17, but still you have to plan a whole day around 4 hours and hope for the best.

Track fee+Gas (runs my last time out x my slow car)
$15+$50=$65 $65/(5x13)=$1 a second. Great!!! I'm poor, just going to a test and tune with my daily driver costs a lot, what bullshit.

Last edited by camar0corey; 09-07-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats wrong with american graffiti? 1 or 2, they may not have been full of that fake action trying to be spectacular. but they were great car movies. back on the track thing, arent there a bunch of closed tracks in fla? i have an idea on that, maybe.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jam01
whats wrong with american graffiti? 1 or 2, they may not have been full of that fake action trying to be spectacular. but they were great car movies. back on the track thing, arent there a bunch of closed tracks in fla? i have an idea on that, maybe.
He's talking about in the end of the first one when the 55 Chevy finally gets his crack at Milner and the Deuce Coupe and then wrecks it racing him.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly! The scene actually shows a wreck and consequences, not it crashed and lets zoom out to the rest of the action. I love that movie, have 1 and 2 here, original Vanishing Point, original Gone in 60 Seconds, Two Lane Blacktop.

I think there used to be a track in Jax, if it were still open and people knew about going to the track, perhaps this wouldn't have happened.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by N2OMIKE
I was at that gathering... was a sad day for sure.

G7. Really bad night.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i know there are some defunct drag strips closed. does anybody know why?
Old 09-09-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

jax raceways was jax's track. they shut it down to build a neighborhood but after testing the dirt from where the dirt track use to be they came to conclusion that the ground wasn't good for homes to be built on. So they shut it down for nothing and it use to get lots of buisness. me and my dad use to go every saturday night to the dirt track races
Old 09-09-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i know times are tough, but what is stopping us from trying to reopen it or find a spot to open one. this is a big forum with lots of sponsors and members. anybody in?
Old 09-10-2009, 06:04 AM
On The Tree

i know times are tough, but what is stopping us from trying to reopen it or find a spot to open one. this is a big forum with lots of sponsors and members. anybody in?
I work in land development, and I can tell you that opening up a race strip ANYWHERE in the country other than an industrial zone is next to impossible. That's why when they were built in the old days they were put out in BFE in most cases. Over the years, very slowly houses and neighborhoods started popping up next to them. If they go out of business or shut down, trying to re-open them turns into a HUGE pain in the rear main seal.

The houses and neighborhoods (which came second, not first) don't want them there. They don't want to deal with the noise, or late night traffic. And all types of other excuses. It's pathetic. We looked into this for a client whom had already purchases land in a rural area to build a Road Atlanta type situation here in Central Florida. It was near Haines City. That one was going to have 102 turns and an HD video taped dragstrip. It was an awesome idea, and everyone was excited that worked on it.

They ended up walking away because they couldn't get permits because of neighbors 5-20 miles away that "might" hear something and not be able to sleep. It was truly saddening.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

there has to be something we can do about this. when kids race on the streets and are involved in accidents, the media is all over it. maybe trying to get the media involved in favor of this. im not trying to be morbid, just trying to turn something into a positive.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:59 AM
TECH Addict

i know there are some defunct drag strips closed. does anybody know why?

Many reasons- Insurance costs for one... Another is rural development. For example, someone builds a neighborhood next to a drag strip, the homeowners complain about the noise, and another small strip is shut down. Good times- And those are the same ******** who wonder why people streetrace?
Old 09-10-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02 WS6 TA
Many reasons- Insurance costs for one... Another is rural development. For example, someone builds a neighborhood next to a drag strip, the homeowners complain about the noise, and another small strip is shut down. Good times- And those are the same ******** who wonder why people streetrace?
i should have explained it better, i was trying to ask was there a specific reason that track was shut down. insurance cost is something you have live with along with the other costs. i am really interested in finding out, if it was something stupid. im sure there are ways to persuade that county or city to let it reopen.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:20 AM
7 Second Club

The reason most tracks shut down is homes nearby, insurance, cost of selling the land versus continuing to run the place, noise, etc. We've lost three Florida tracks in the last 17 years, so not all that bad when you think about it. Sunshine will eventually shut down, but it will likely be a while.

Derek

Quick Reply: Crash Kills three people in Holly Hill