Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Loud hissing from top half. Fuel injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Loud hissing from top half. Fuel injectors?

I am still a newbie so please bare with me fellas. I did do a few searches but did not find anything that specifically answered my questions. I also posted this in the Fueling and Injection Section, but I've had some luck and good advice from the fellow Florida Members, so i posted here too.

I have a 97 LT1 SS and have come across a loud hissing sound which seems to be coming from the top half. The car has been mildly sputtering in slow accelerations, like in parking lots and stop lights.

At first i thought i had a bad vacuum leak. So i checked the lines for cracks and sprayed some of them with WD40, hoping to find the leak, but found nothing.

The hissing sound seems to be coming from the intake somewhere, more so on the driver side than the passenger.

The Check Engine Light IS lit up, but always is since the previous owner chopped off the exhaust, so the O2 Sensors are constantly confused and the Check Engine Light just stays lit. Since its Saturday i have not had a chance to take the car to my mechanic to run the codes, which i know would help..lol.

But from what i am describing here, does it sound like i have a bad Injector(s)?
Old 09-18-2010, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

hissing is usually an air leak somewhere. Never heard of injectors doing that. I dont know if wd-40 is really going to work for that, try spraying some brake clean around the top of the engine and see if the idle jumps.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default agreed

Originally Posted by jeepers_88
hissing is usually an air leak somewhere. Never heard of injectors doing that. I dont know if wd-40 is really going to work for that, try spraying some brake clean around the top of the engine and see if the idle jumps.
never heard of injectors hissing, but by the way you describe it sounds to be a vacuum problem but could also be a fuel delivery problem with the sputtering....my advice would be to go see your mechanic and have him diagnose the CEL and do a test on your vacuum hoses as most mechanics have a machine for that that I have personally found works better than using the WD40 as i had a similar problem with my 95 Z28 (turned out to be a cracked hose I overlooked)

either way, lemme know how it turns out and I hope i was some sort of help!
Old 09-19-2010, 02:52 AM
Launching!

Yeah i used the WD40 test because an old time hot rodder suggested it to me a long time ago. I will have to take it in and have them run the codes and test the lines and hoses. Its just annoying that i cant find the problem when the hissing is right there in front of my face..lol.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tampa_97_SS
Yeah i used the WD40 test because an old time hot rodder suggested it to me a long time ago. I will have to take it in and have them run the codes and test the lines and hoses. Its just annoying that i cant find the problem when the hissing is right there in front of my face..lol.
lol, I know man, we'd all rather fix it ourselves as I felt the same way, but in theis case she's off to the mechanic

Quick Reply: Loud hissing from top half. Fuel injectors?