Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Went to MASport for a tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by +badss+
wow $800 lol, that's crazy money for a n/a tune. i am thinking of having him tune my car after i decide on my h/c swap.
I was mistaken it wasn't 800 to 1000 it was minimum 650-800 here's the reply I got from 3fingers their office guy.

That's a big cam. If you want a good drivability tune on SD, those price quotes aren't even in the ballpark. Ask any decent tuner to define drivability and see what you get. Dan's done tunes on Mosler MT900s with bigger cams (250/270, 108 LSA) that passed EU regulations for exotic cars in Germany that are street driven cars with A/C and idle dead-steady with 7-lbs Tilton triple-disc clutches. Getting the job done right isn't a problem, but it isn't cheap. On an engine like this, $450 will get you a Drag Tune, or in other words, the car will idle and you'll get good WOT tuning. To do what you're asking for, the tune would be a minimum of $650 but the average a customer pays for tuning this kind of setup for perfect drivability is $800. This is WOT, part-throttle cruise, idle, transients and all varying accessory loading (air conditioning, etc) as well as cold start drivability, etc. The other thing to consider is the mechanical condition. Many times we get a car that has significant mods and inevitably suffers some mechanical shortcoming. If there's even a small vacuum leak, this can affect drivability. Dan can tune this car perfectly, but only as good as the car is mechanically. If there are mechanical imperfections, tuning won't 'bandage' the problem. Keep this in mind before getting your car tuned. Also, if your knock sensors aren't working, make sure you have truly good quality 93-octane in the car when you bring it as the dyno doesn't play with the car. To get the most out of the engine, we stress it and tune it to the optimum you ask, whether it's outright power or a combination of good power with reliable longevity and durability. These are things to keep in mind before booking an appointment. If you have any other questions or want to know more about what it takes to get a setup like this dialed in perfectly, gimme a shout back.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

I said ok to the 650 but wanted it to be a set price for the tune. They said they wouldn't do a set price and it could go higher if it was harder to tune. I like Gary and Dan but I'm not giving anybody my car with a blank check per say to charge me whatever they feel like when it's done. After thinking about it for a while I've decided to put my car back to a bolt on car and put my 408 in a lighter chassis with a carb on it or the holley setup so I will never be at a tuners mercy.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:54 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by GTFORMULA
I said ok to the 650 but wanted it to be a set price for the tune. They said they wouldn't do a set price and it could go higher if it was harder to tune. I like Gary and Dan but I'm not giving anybody my car with a blank check per say to charge me whatever they feel like when it's done. After thinking about it for a while I've decided to put my car back to a bolt on car and put my 408 in a lighter chassis with a carb on it or the holley setup so I will never be at a tuners mercy.
Prices for tunes are are dictated by the mods on the car. Tuning an sd tune on a built motor is a little different than a tune on a stock motor. Plus we provide a price window b/c some cars come in with problems that need addressing before you begin to tune or problems are found during the tune that need attention, and we dont fix cars for free. Fact is, your tune was priced right and would have been $650 providing the pulls went without incident.

You obviously wanted the best at special pricing. We dont do that. We treat every car in the shop as if it was our own and I have 26 cars in the shop currently, that aint from seat fly'n.

I aint the office guy, Im the boss.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:31 PM
10 Second Club

ya i have a 454 8 stages of nos ablower and a meth kit can i get that tuned for 650 too lol .are u guys kidding me .dan knows his **** plain and simple.u get what u pay for .u guys need to go to bash a tunner.com with this ****.everyone i sent to dan was more than happy with there tune and $.there are many tunners out here but bashing a guy and u didnt even get a tune just a price quate thats just f ed up in my books.dont mind me im just venting here.lol
Old 05-15-2011, 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

Congrats on the tune!!! Sounds like another satisfied customer!!!

Chris, *GT FORMULA*, I was quoted the same price $650-800 for N/A from Dan so dont feel bad..He seemed like a super nice guy the time I talked to him I did have a date set up set up with them. But I was in a accident after I talked to him and was not going to be able adress some problems with the car before it went down to be tuned! I wanted to let Dan know I could not adress some issues with the car due to a back injury from a car accident I was in and didnt want the car to show up not done or not tunning worthy and waisting his time. I do not know if Dan was aware that I had called him back a few times since he came back from vacation to try to see If I could drop it off to them to have them finish the car for me and adress the issues with it ! I have seen and heard alot of GREAT things about Masport but I have not been able to have the EXPERIENCE yet of the magic!

Last edited by Street Racer; 05-15-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:36 PM
10 Second Club

I was mistaken it wasn't 800 to 1000 it was minimum 650-800 here's the reply I got from 3fingers their office guy.

That's a big cam. If you want a good drivability tune on SD, those price quotes aren't even in the ballpark. Ask any decent tuner to define drivability and see what you get. Dan's done tunes on Mosler MT900s with bigger cams (250/270, 108 LSA) that passed EU regulations for exotic cars in Germany that are street driven cars with A/C and idle dead-steady with 7-lbs Tilton triple-disc clutches. Getting the job done right isn't a problem, but it isn't cheap. On an engine like this, $450 will get you a Drag Tune, or in other words, the car will idle and you'll get good WOT tuning. To do what you're asking for, the tune would be a minimum of $650 but the average a customer pays for tuning this kind of setup for perfect drivability is $800. This is WOT, part-throttle cruise, idle, transients and all varying accessory loading (air conditioning, etc) as well as cold start drivability, etc. The other thing to consider is the mechanical condition. Many times we get a car that has significant mods and inevitably suffers some mechanical shortcoming. If there's even a small vacuum leak, this can affect drivability. Dan can tune this car perfectly, but only as good as the car is mechanically. If there are mechanical imperfections, tuning won't 'bandage' the problem. Keep this in mind before getting your car tuned. Also, if your knock sensors aren't working, make sure you have truly good quality 93-octane in the car when you bring it as the dyno doesn't play with the car. To get the most out of the engine, we stress it and tune it to the optimum you ask, whether it's outright power or a combination of good power with reliable longevity and durability. These are things to keep in mind before booking an appointment. If you have any other questions or want to know more about what it takes to get a setup like this dialed in perfectly, gimme a shout back.
Sounds "spot-on" to me. In my experience with Dan, he is a very knowledgeable & professional tuner. His credibility is second to none, so the level of quality you get from him warrants the price.

Last edited by Sofls1; 05-15-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:23 PM
10 Second Club

by no means was i bashing Dan, i don't know what mods were quoted for. i haven't talked to them about mine yet. just was kinda shocked at 800+ lol, but if the car is done right then money shouldn't matter either.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Words of wisdom:
1. You get what you pay for.
Indeed. I strive to deliver good bang for the buck. Anyone who doubts this can ask any of the multitude of customers I have who have many trophies on the wall from drag and road racing. Tuning makes the engine combo come alive. Pay crap, drive crap. I don't do that to my customers. If I charge more, it's 'cause more is required to get your car right and we don't do "half-assed" around here. That kind of crap is for amateurs!

2. Buyers will always shop by price alone unless they have a reason to do otherwise.
What more reason do you need than to know how many people have experienced great results from my tuning work. Not only the good folks on the forums, but how about companies like Mosler Automotive who have won Car & Driver's Lightning Lap of America with cars that were tuned exclusively at Masport. And let's not forget the Mosler Raptor GTR that put down over 1040 hp and 1050 ft/lbs THROUGH THE CATALYTIC CONVERTERS. Experience and expertise doesn't cost extra money. It saves you long-term in reliability, durability, performance and fuel economy. Evidence? If we're good enough for the racers in the Rolex Grand Am series and driving schools like the Corvette Driving School and Sports Car Driving Experience who have race school cars with engines that last multiple seasons, maybe the tuning work is pretty good!

3. The grass is always greener on the other side.
Right. If you think $650-$800 is a lot of money for tuning a car with a 247/260 cam with an LSX intake, for heavens sake, don't even think about going racing. Our road-racing customers get complete dyno tuning that includes WOT, idle, transients, high-speed cruise and pace-car cruise speed tuning. This is all followed up by track simulation on the dyno and then verification on-track during test-and-tune sessions. This can take up to 14 days including time spent going to one or more road racing tracks. Cost ranges from $1600 to over $4800 depending on how many tracks we test on. Is the grass greener on the other side? Maybe the $650-$800 doesn't sound so bad anymore considering what you're getting for 2 days of work in bringing your car to performance perfection. Oh, and by the way, last year at Daytona, our customer's Corvette was the only car that could be cold-started without the driver physically inside the car to feather the throttle to keep it running. Even got props from the Factory team.

4. Know your station in life.
This is an old British adage. I know my place. I tune, I teach people how to tune, and I provide technical training and consulting to race teams and automotive corporations. Why does this matter to customers? It's rather simple: I don't guess when I work on a car. Over 20 years of experience and possession of the right equipment allows me to get things solved on vehicles that others struggle with. That's why we continue to get cars here from around the country, not just our local SoFlo customers. But it also means that I know what my work is worth.

5. Do it right or do it again.
'Nuff said!

Lastly I'll set the record straight regarding my pricing. Costs are generally as follows for engine tuning work...

Stock head/cam combo - $450
Cams between 220-230 intake duration and 110 or greater LSA - $500-$650
Cams between 230-250 intake duration and 107 or greater LSA - $650-up

Forced induction and auto trans tuning is generally included in the above price structure unless it's some crazy combo or specification. For what you get, my prices have always been received as more than reasonable by the vast majority of customers out there (otherwise I'd be flipping burgers right now). Know this though: If I were flipping burgers for a living, it be the tastiest f#@*ing burger you ever put your lips to. And it wouldn't cost no f#@*ing 99 cents either.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

I'm not bashing Dan or Gary. However when you charge nearly double for the same thing don't get upset when someone wants to go somewhere else. I know you are very good at tuning. I've had 4 cars tuned over the years by Futral motorsport, and Norris motorsports. Futral had the fastest stock cube car for a long time, twin turbo cars and many record setters, Norris deals in mostly high end corvettes and when I was there there were at least 3 in the shop. Norris tuned one of my heads cam nitrous cars the went 10.6 @133 back when my car was the 4th fastest stock bottom end car in the country in like 2002. Then Futral tuned the same car after my forged bottom end and bigger setup went in with a 400 shot. I trailered my car all the way to baton rouge for that. They both charged me only 400-450 for those with nitrous runs. Norris tuned my twin turbo solid axle vette for $500. It made 850 to the tire through my glide and nine inch
with slicks and 13 psi. I took it to 23 psi and tuned for the higher boost myself. I've tuned at least 10 cars for my self and friends but I'm no expert and wanted it tuned by a pro. I simply will not pay nearly double, and you can say your the best but we will never do a back to back tuning with you competitors to know if the double price really is double as nice of a tune. As much as I change setups there is no justifying it. People can just put the Holley kit on and not pay anyone and run 7's without a tuner. Or stop screwing around and put a BBC in my mustang coupe with twin 91's and it will definatly have the Holley if that happens.

Once again I'm not bashing but being realistic. The economy is down nobody has money to pay extra when they can bring it somewhere else that has a huge track record for tuning and pay half as much.

Last edited by GTFORMULA; 05-16-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the props Dan! Considering the stuff I had to wipe drool off of in your shop it means a lot!

For the discussion on money - my buddy that rode shotgun with me laughed. Everything with Dan was set up on emails. I had never spoken to him on the phone and never once did we discuss price. If he was 10 times more than everyone else, he would not be in business. When a job is done right, it is worth the price. After 2 hours on the dyno, when he told he how much he wanted, I was floored. Beyond fair. He did not have to change much in the tune, but still he spent 2 hours with us and the car.

Shop for quality. The value is in the work in the end.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

However when you charge nearly double for the same thing don't get upset when someone wants to go somewhere else... much.
Who is upset? Take a moment to reflect on that...
And if all tuning is the same, why keep asking me?
Driving to LA to save money on tuning? Somebody skipped math class, didn't he?
Old 05-16-2011, 06:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by kwiksilverz28
Thanks for the props Dan! Considering the stuff I had to wipe drool off of in your shop it means a lot!

For the discussion on money - my buddy that rode shotgun with me laughed. Everything with Dan was set up on emails. I had never spoken to him on the phone and never once did we discuss price. If he was 10 times more than everyone else, he would not be in business. When a job is done right, it is worth the price. After 2 hours on the dyno, when he told he how much he wanted, I was floored. Beyond fair. He did not have to change much in the tune, but still he spent 2 hours with us and the car.

Shop for quality. The value is in the work in the end.
Thanks again, dude! As I mentioned before, an absolute pleasure to have you come by. It's people like you that compel us to do our best work. You deserve nothing less. I can guarantee you that I appreciate you as much as you do us. Cheers, brother!!
Old 05-16-2011, 07:04 PM
TECH Resident

Well I'm not upset I've said many times that I like you guys

Keep asking you. I came to your grand opening of the original shop and said I was going to need a tune soon. That was my twin turbo vette. I finished the car and called you to try and get it tuned before the LSX shootout but you said you were too busy and you wouldn't squeeze me in even if I would put your sticker on the car for the event which was going to get media coverage. Then I was talking to Gary at a need2speed cruise and he said he would get you to tune the car for a "deal" for n2s members. Cant afford 800 for a tune so I didn't get it done. Car still runs high 9's with my tuning so I'm good for now.

I said it was tuned back around 2002 when they were the best at tuning around back then. Check your math smart ***. I didn't try to insult you but I guess you felt it necessary to try to insult me. Thanks man have a good one.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Right, Chris, because deminishing someone's work is fine as long as you back it up with claims that you don't do so. Not to worry. Apparently Holley knows how crooked we tuners are and they've come up with the ideal solution to get rid of us all.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

Holley will be and fast is also coming out with self tuning software you can download.

The days of tuners getting big money are coming to an end. If my company charged twice as much than the guy next door we would be out of business regardless of how go we are. Word of mouth will only get you so far.

Sorry to the OP and if it continues I'll delete all my posts to clean it up.

Last edited by GTFORMULA; 05-16-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Wow... My Masport tune was one hell of a deal the way I look at it... 4-5 years going strong and once you are Dan's customer you have a friend for life! How many times have I gone afterward for little tweaks or even unrelated issues and then Dan wouldn't even accept my money when I insisted... Feeling like you're getting cheated didn't apply... I would go home sometimes telling my wife in disbelief that I was feeling like I cheated him... Felt horrible lol!!! Some people aren't looking at the big picture... I'm a stingy *** ************ and Dan's services when you include everything he does has been one of the cheapest, and I mean that literally, deals I've ever scored with my money pit!
Old 05-18-2011, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

^Every word x2. Dan and Garry are both awesome guys and helped me out above and beyond what I payed for.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:00 PM
9 Second Club

Holley will be and fast is also coming out with self tuning software you can download.

The days of tuners getting big money are coming to an end. If my company charged twice as much than the guy next door we would be out of business regardless of how go we are. Word of mouth will only get you so far.

Sorry to the OP and if it continues I'll delete all my posts to clean it up.
Could'nt disagree more.. Most tuning customers we see prefer the expert rather than take it on themselves. Alot have issues they cant figure out. You talk about fast? A weeks back we were sent an XFI controller that their engineers were unable to diagnose an intermittant ignition problem. Two days and Dan had it handled. You just dont understand who your dealing with here.

Word of mouth for any business not only tells you you are doing it right, it also gives you good faith value, which is the no.2 asset used in determining the net value of your business and plus, it cost next to nothing. I would recommend that when starting a brand new business, certain advertising is smart, but you have to research which methods, so that you are sure to get a return on dollars spent. Sorry to say, your way off track.

And as far as numbering the days till the end, now I have 37 cars in the shop. LOL
Old 05-18-2011, 07:20 PM
10 Second Club

you best get your *** to work boss lol.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:18 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by littlefranks
you best get your *** to work boss lol.
Hey lil' Franks, you outta see him work...My favorite is when he does his daily inspections of the place. He'll write stuff like this on the work board...
Attached Thumbnails Went to MASport for a tune-img_2524.gif  

Quick Reply: Went to MASport for a tune