Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

American Auto Tries to get me Arrested!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

245/70/16

I think they wanted full price at first but officer said that $436 was just paying for the 2 and they were covering 2 they ruined.Who knows.All i Know is my option was pay $436 or get arrested.Even if I paid for just 2.....umm $872 for 4 Truck Tires .Its a work truck not a vette.Seems like they charged me a buy 3 get 1 free thing which I think they actually have something like that going on right now

Last edited by MillerTime85; 05-29-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 4u 2 nv
There was no option of driving the truck back and having them remove the new tires?

I didn't hear that option and if I would have done that,it would be 2weeks before I could go anywhere to get it fixed.Those Tires Are unsafe.Im sure Cords would have been showing within the next week.I work same time tire places are open except I know I get 1 Saturday off every 2 weeks or If I get off at a decent time on the Saturday im working but usually not
Old 05-29-2011, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

According to Better Business Bureau they have 2 claims agianst them with 1 being within last 12 months
Old 05-29-2011, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any legal questions.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LitiGATOR
Feel free to send me a PM if you have any legal questions.
Thank you.I will keep that in mind
Old 05-29-2011, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MillerTime85
245/70/16

I think they wanted full price at first but officer said that $436 was just paying for the 2 and they were covering 2 they ruined.Who knows.All i Know is my option was pay $436 or get arrested.Even if I paid for just 2.....umm $872 for 4 Truck Tires .Its a work truck not a vette.Seems like they charged me a buy 3 get 1 free thing which I think they actually have something like that going on right now
$436.00 for 2 sounds more in line. I was just busting your chops. Sorry, probably not a good time to be doing that considering what you're going through.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by maverickmk
$436.00 for 2 sounds more in line. I was just busting your chops. Sorry, probably not a good time to be doing that considering what you're going through.

lol.I know.But in all honesty 436 for 2 tires is highway robbery.They were basic Cooper Tires not some freakin goodyear low pro run flats or something.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

So after driving the truck for a good distance for the first time since the incident damn truck still pulls to the right if I let go.Only difference is my steering wheel is straight and not all cocked to one side.Now my problem is Im sure as hell not taking my truck or going back down there.My boss was the one who pained for the alignment and have tires mounted/balanced.They had 3 times to fix it and still not done.Now Im gonna have to tell him the whole story and see if he wants to call down there and asked for a refund for the alignment and if they give him a hard time it will also be up to him to to call his credit card company to refund the alignment charge.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cops were Aholes!!!

Come on! They side with the shop? WTF You didn't mount them bal or put them on the car. I understand in a situation like this with family watching the cops had you to the wall! All you did was save them paperwork! They didn't care! This is a small claims issue, its all hearsay they have nothing signed from you that said you were even there, right! The cops are at fault here.

Your wrong to think the bank is going to help. If you used a CC then yes, but as a debit your screwed and the receiver has the right not to return funds. You'd be better off saying your card was lost/stolen and you never signed the card receipt.

You do have a case, remember you have trauma to your kids and wife to see you in the back of the pig car. It is small claims but just as you have little evidence so do they...think about it.

I agree at the end of the day, paying it may have been the best to get out of the car, but maybe you should've asked for the sargent, what evidence does he have but hearsay. Just your word and the shop. You need to face this or it'll burn in you...GL
Old 05-30-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Regular

I had to give number's,exp,and 3 digit pin on back.im 99% they ran it as credit.I already talked to someone in the lost/stolen card dept. and they said they will be glady to get the funds back after that happening but i have to make the claim with the card dispute dept. which was closed and not back until Tuesday which I will be calling right when they open.I talked to the Sargent afterwards and told me that all they had to do is make a written statement "I stole tires" from them and they have to arrest me even with no proof except with what some crooked worker says.Now they would have to prove this in court which they would have no way of doing and in the long run would get sued as well as the police dept.But I would have went down to the jail.Being holiday would be stuck until tuesday to see a judge and if I wanted out earlier I would have to pay who knows what to get bailed out and the whole it being a felony arrest so there might not even be a bail set.I only paid it so I didnt have to go to jail which was my only options.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Sad story... Idonno what they were thinking, but doing an alignment after installing used tires isn't such a big deal. The concern comes from not knowing what they came off of, and specifically, its condition because that could have caused YOUR wear problem before you ever saw the tire. From the looks of your pic, those tires weren't 5-6k miles either. More like 25k. Compare the new pic to your worn pic and note the wear bars on each.

Either way, they should've either declined the job from the beginning or done their best the 1st time AND informed you of wear pattern issues based on the visible tire condition and the condition of your vehicles suspension and steering components.

Calling the cops and making that claim when you hadn't signed any work order for new tires... Not too bright, to say the least. For now, I'd go ahead and take up the issue with the bank and see where that leads. If they can't resolve it, you will either be out of the money or need an attorney to learn the legal ends you may have. Plan on spending time on this...

Nothing against attorneys really, but they most often work exceedingly slowly as if to not keep pace with the rest of the country. Something about golf courses seems to slow many of them...
Old 05-30-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

Tires had less than 10k when I bought them without any unusual wear pattern or else I wouldn't of bought them.I drive a easy 100 miles a day for work purposes and with that and wear on the tires when I bought them those tires only have a maximum of 15k miles on them.There workmanship is a result of what you see from the pictures.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

Will just have to call the bank first thing Tomorrow morning and see what happens but im more than certain they are on my side and will take care of this for me.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

After just washing the truck I noticed they didn't put back on my chrome valve cap's and sleeve covers and took the weights off from inside the rim and put weights on the outside thats showing.I had to go back and drive all the way down there after the 1st visit to get the chrome caps b/c they did the same thing.They have the most intelligent people working down there
Old 05-30-2011, 05:30 PM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

I would have let them take me to jail, then sued the **** out of the shop and police department.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:44 PM
TECH Regular

After posting a add on CL of the exact same thing I have on my 1st post I had this in my email.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That totaly sounds like something those crooks would do. Go to Coastal Auto and ask them how many older ppl and woman have shown up there asaking if we could check out there car because they just had $600 or $800 worth of work done to it at American ******* Auto and it still is doing the same thing. we would jack it ip and check and same thing we see all the time, all the did was spray some brake clean on everything and send them on their way! I hope you do get a lawyer and put them out of buisness!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 05-31-2011, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Go to Tony at East Coast Automotive. he's the only person here in town that i let touch my TA. nice guy, fair prices and he does good work and stands behind it. i've also had problems with american auto and hills brothers...
Old 05-31-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

inquire about the cameras on the property, if there are any.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This story is confusing, but from what I understand you got 4 new tires for $436 but you want your money back then you'll keep the tires. To me that's stealing, which is why the store called the cops.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
This story is confusing, but from what I understand you got 4 new tires for $436 but you want your money back then you'll keep the tires. To me that's stealing, which is why the store called the cops.
If they put the tires on without having a signed work order and did so with the stated intent being to repair damage their faulty work caused, it's hardly stealing to drive away upon completion... It's simply smart business on their part.

Calling the cops later to claim theft, after having returned the vehicle to its owner and watching him leave... That's not only bad business, but fraud. Donno the whole story, but it seems someone went out of their way to cause problems.

Quick Reply: American Auto Tries to get me Arrested!!!!