Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Third brake light tinted illegal in Florida?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011 | 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

I was always under the impression that the law, at least in Georgia, required two working brake lights in any configuration. I personally think it depends on the officer ... third brake light tint is just a reason to pull you over and hassle you. I had window tint on my Lightning and, after two years, I got pulled over in Acworth by an officer running radar from oncoming traffic across a four-lane. It was raining so I had my windows up (they were usually down). I saw her coming and honestly thought she was pulling over the "junker" behind me until she went around him and ducked in right behind me. It was a $100 ticket. I was floored.

Last edited by BrianSF-GA; 07-19-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-19-2011 | 08:50 PM
Launching!

Hmmm.....ok, maybe i wont tint my third brake light then :-/ I guess if its spelled out in the law, then i wont do it. Damn....i was really wanting to do it too lol hahaha
Old 07-20-2011 | 03:12 PM
TECH Resident

my brake lights are not tinted. just cleared over. My 3rd brake light is black candied with blue pearl on top of it, but you can't tell that it's not a shadow with the spoiler on top of it anyway. As long as the actual main brake lights aren't tinted, I think you would be fine

Old 07-20-2011 | 05:33 PM
Restricted User

When I got pulled over for my lights he said you need to see the lights from 200 feet away so as long as you can see them from 200 feet away you'll be fine
Old 07-20-2011 | 05:44 PM
Launching!

Ehh, i`ll have to think about it. If i am going to tint them, im going to tint them all the way but when the brake is applied, the light will still shine through of course. I doubt it can be seen from 200 ft. away though. Hmm...i`ll have to think about this. Im not sure why im turning this into a big deal, but...then again...i really dont want to attract any attention from the cops over a stupid modification. Phantom...thats a REALLY nice blue color you have on your Camaro!
Old 07-21-2011 | 06:57 AM
TECH Regular

Mine are blacked out and in florida its just a fix it ticket around 9 dollars . So i got a crappy set of lights if i get pulled over . I will flip the lights drive down let them see them pay the 9 dollars drive home flip them back
Old 07-21-2011 | 09:21 AM
On The Tree

Not only are they suppose to be seem from 200ft away they have to also be able to reflect light
Old 07-21-2011 | 01:05 PM
12 Second Club

Ive had a 3rd brake light that is blacked out except for a firechicken that lights up as my 3rd brake light. Ive had it for 3-4 years and never ever had a cop say a thing, and Ive had plenty behind me lol I did have tinted tail lights at one time but didnt like them so gave them to a friend. It only took about 2-3 months before he was pulled over for them, but he also lives in kissimmee where cops are all over modified cars since theres so many ricers out there
Old 07-21-2011 | 07:20 PM
On The Tree

What I find most amazing is that people with like us with modified cars are always getting our chops busted by cops for stupid crap like tinted brake lights, etc when I see on almost a daily basis people with completely no working brake lights at all. How many times has someone here almost smashed into some idiot without functioning brake lights? That really gets me fired up
Old 07-22-2011 | 08:47 PM
Launching!

I get what your saying maverickmk. When the stupidest thing happens, half the cops in the whole damn city are there to bust people, but...when more serious stuff happens...theres never a cop around. I see people with tinted tail AND headlights all the time. I dont see why i couldnt do something as simple as a third brake light. Thats just my opinion. Ive had my side marker lights tinted BLACK and i have been right beside cops and they never stopped me. So i might actually do my third brake light. I can always get another one and switch them out like what Ocala93TA said to do.
Old 07-23-2011 | 07:25 AM
On The Tree

My headlights and taillights are painted with that nightshade stuff. I've had 2 warnings 1 of them from a trooper that was giving me a speeding ticket. Mine are dark maybe to dark, I would not recomend doing the headlights, hard to see down road at night. I put in a toggle switch to be able to have my bright and dims on at the same time. You should not have any problems with just a 3rd brakelight. Here's mine headlights are just as dark. I did not do my 3rd brakelight just so something is bright red but I've really been thinking of doing it.

Old 07-24-2011 | 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by skat
My headlights and taillights are painted with that nightshade stuff. I've had 2 warnings 1 of them from a trooper that was giving me a speeding ticket. Mine are dark maybe to dark, I would not recomend doing the headlights, hard to see down road at night. I put in a toggle switch to be able to have my bright and dims on at the same time. You should not have any problems with just a 3rd brakelight. Here's mine headlights are just as dark. I did not do my 3rd brakelight just so something is bright red but I've really been thinking of doing it.

Why would you have you headlights that dark? Thats just stupid and unsafe
Old 07-24-2011 | 08:04 PM
On The Tree

My bandit your car looks like the batmoblie or knightrider she's purty hit me up later bra.
Old 07-24-2011 | 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Thanks I like you too. They still put off decent light better than my stock S10 headlights. It's just better when I flip the toggle and have both brights and dim. If I did it all again I would'nt paint them but till I buy new ones they will do. Plus I don't DD the car, it's just for fun I drive it once a week.
Old 07-25-2011 | 09:12 PM
Launching!

Yea im not touching my taillights and headlights of course. Both look way too good to mess them up. But my third brake light is looking kind of rough, i just wanted to cover up the haze that it has. So i`ll tint it i guess. lol
Old 07-26-2011 | 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by skat
Thanks I like you too. They still put off decent light better than my stock S10 headlights. It's just better when I flip the toggle and have both brights and dim. If I did it all again I would'nt paint them but till I buy new ones they will do. Plus I don't DD the car, it's just for fun I drive it once a week.
I have a set of stock headlights that you can have for $100
Old 07-26-2011 | 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the offer but I'm not going to
put stockers back on.
Old 07-26-2011 | 08:51 PM
On The Tree

i have alot of layers of vht on mine. i also sanded them down to get a flat black look. as i dont like the glossy look like what every one else has.

this is when my reverse lights were blacked out, and was told they can not be. so i redid my lights

but my lights are still visible form a good distance.

side markers are completely dark

here is how the car sits now

Old 07-28-2011 | 07:32 AM
TECH Regular

I did this to my third light before i got my iroc spoiler , I was never stopped because of it . I know its not blacked out but it was modified from stock .

Old 07-28-2011 | 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

i've had alot of cops behind me also..

still havent gotten stopped for my blacked out tail lights or blacked out windows or loud *** exhaust (04 cobra, no cats, flowmasters, x pipe)

i just basically blacked out my 3rd brake light, its a vinyl decal that says 'QUICKV8.com'.. it hides the cracks that i epoxy'd behind it..

Quick Reply: Third brake light tinted illegal in Florida?