Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Is Orlando Speed World shutting down?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 12:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ec_nova
same here, although there have been some nights where there is NO track prep at all. I had a night where I made 7 runs and my best 60' was 2.2, when I was normally hitting 1.5's. The consistency of that place is terrible in recent years
Me and my father's car's have never had issues hooking @ OSW, cutting 1.4x 60ft's on EVERY single pass with a 315/35/17 radial....

Granted we werent out there everyday they were open, but never usually had an issue out there....
Old 08-21-2012, 07:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BottleFedZ346
Me and my father's car's have never had issues hooking @ OSW, cutting 1.4x 60ft's on EVERY single pass with a 315/35/17 radial....

Granted we werent out there everyday they were open, but never usually had an issue out there....
You know as well as I do, the track isn't the BEST out there, but its ours. It also takes the blame for alot of peoples cars short comings.

It'll be just like CFRC, people will bitch and moan when it closes, but I didn't see anyone downtown at the city council meeting to help fight for it. They were to busy complaining about it on the internet.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2nd Gen Fl 'bird
I'm with him^^^^^^^^^^. I'll say it for the 100th time. MANY racers quit racing there because of their bullshit ways. It wasn't the facility, it was how management run the whole show. You cater to the people(racers) who will bring revenue(spectator count) to the facility. Don't ignore either group if a bitch arises.(Not talking about Carl's wife, even though she is) but, that's why a buuuunch of racers said f-off, I'll never come back. Havn't been back since '07 and most likely won't until I hear otherwise. I could go on and on but, not now.

Sooo, you haven't been there in half a decade, won't post any info about said bullshit ways. Hmmm, ok we'll take your word for it.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

I've got to say it is nice to have a track close by, but at the same time it must be one of the most poorly managed tracks around. Really makes me miss Firebird international in Phoenix. Hopefully someone takes over and runs the place correctly, when I can't hook with brand new tires in 4 wheel drive on a duramax off a half boosted launch the track prep is really suffering.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

I agree ..There track prep sucks.And yes everyone knows it ..
Old 08-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Banned

Yeah. The track prep usually sucks there...... This is on a friday night test and tune...
Old 08-21-2012, 11:39 AM
11 Second Club

THANK YOU DENNIS,

John has a hard time running 7's out there too. hard time keeping the red car off the bars at 300 ft.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like pointed out by Dennis and others, it may not be the best track, but if you can make it hook there you can make it hook anywhere. Do not complain about the track as it will not usually change as far as the way they run things. learn how to run there.

With that said it is usually the guys that will complain that are the guys that have no idea how to makes changes to the tire pressures, suspension (shocks, arms, torque arm, travel limiters, springs), launch RPM and so on to see what the track and car wants or will take. I have had several cars with wheels up launches there on "bad" nights. Some times it takes 3 or 4 runs to get it right.

No matter how bad, it is always good to have a local track. The nice thing with Speedworld is that there are quite a few tracks that do hook great most of the time within 3 hours if you want to get serious. Bradenton, Gainesville and South Georgia Motorsports Park.

Mike Norris
Old 08-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike Norris
Like pointed out by Dennis and others, it may not be the best track, but if you can make it hook there you can make it hook anywhere. Do not complain about the track as it will not usually change as far as the way they run things. learn how to run there.

With that said it is usually the guys that will complain that are the guys that have no idea how to makes changes to the tire pressures, suspension (shocks, arms, torque arm, travel limiters, springs), launch RPM and so on to see what the track and car wants or will take. I have had several cars with wheels up launches there on "bad" nights. Some times it takes 3 or 4 runs to get it right.

No matter how bad, it is always good to have a local track. The nice thing with Speedworld is that there are quite a few tracks that do hook great most of the time within 3 hours if you want to get serious. Bradenton, Gainesville and South Georgia Motorsports Park.

Mike Norris
Where's the like button ???
Old 08-21-2012, 05:23 PM
10 Second Club

Click me for like button
Old 08-21-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The night I had my 2.2+ 60's nobody was hooking. Nobody. I was with a large group of cars that I always run with and we all ran like ****. Also there were many cars I see out there every week I'm there and they weren't 60'ing for **** either. It's not just the inconsistency of the track prep that pisses me off (making 'test and tune' almost impossible since every week is different) but it's the way the place is run. They have eliminated wednesday night, shortened hours, and put monkeys in charge of tech/running the night. I'm sick of watching cars that do not have the proper equipment for their E/T breaking **** and shutting the track down. A lot of the failures would not occur if they actually did a proper inspection. Yes, this sucks for people with no cage trying to see what their high power **** does, but those aren't the majority. The majority of people breaking are backwoods half-assed cars that have to be trailered to the track not because they are fast, but because they won't make it a mile without falling apart. Not to mention the hours it takes them to clean up minor spills. I will GLADLY drive 2 1/2 hours to gainesville or bradenton to support a track that (seems to be) run by people who actually give a **** about the racers, and not themselves.

Hopefully somebody takes over the track and runs it like it used to be. If not, you won't see me complaining!
Old 08-21-2012, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

Mike couldn't have said it better.

Grass is always greener bro.

Gainesville is down to 1- 2 test and tunes a month, My buddy with his fox comes here to run OSW. Not to mention the some months only having 1 T&T night doesn't cut it for me.

We'll be at the track Friday.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've run a 1.8 60ft with the nova old springs and slapper bars, but with slicks, I live in Wedgefield, and the tracks in my front yard, I can hear it all night long when the humidity's low, and I LOVE IT!!! I hope it stays open, I like running there!!!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Redline Fab
Yeah. The track prep usually sucks there...... This is on a friday night test and tune...

This!

Originally Posted by Mike Norris

Mike Norris

And THIS!
Old 08-23-2012, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blacktransam
Sooo, you haven't been there in half a decade, won't post any info about said bullshit ways. Hmmm, ok we'll take your word for it.
How much time do you have to hear my experiences? Or friends and family's issues with the facility, meaning management. I'm all for the track staying there and remaining open for the sake of everyone's hobby/sport. I'm not speaking of track prep either. It was the greed of the money that ruined it for a lot of people. The tough **** attitude can really **** off the masses. Lastly, in '07 at the World Street Finals Carl's wife and a Sheriff's Deputy was banging on the RV door at barely daylight wanting to check everyone's ticket because they were so paranoid we were "hiding" someone inside that had not paid for a weekend pass. They were doing this to everyone camping in the pits. I thought it was kinda pathetic not to mention everyone each way was mad as hell. I, myself was spending several hundred dollars that weekend to be there and this is what we get as far as respect? I/WE said that was it. Look at other posts, there are more bad experiences than good. If you and others have good experiences there, I'm very happy for that. Let's all demand that the track stay open.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2nd Gen Fl 'bird
Let's all demand that the track stay open.

Thats the only part of your post that matters.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blacktransam
Thats the only part of your post that matters.
All griping and bitching aside, I'm with you 110%. Let's ALL make it happen.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, my car is so close to being back together I'm going to be one pist of Mo Fo if it's closed and I have to drive well over 2 hours to run it! Bithlo should stay open for sure. 3 runs in 1 night was not enough for me not to mention there was a ZO6 that blew the rearend while I was in the staging lane for an hour + the mustang that blew his rearend the run before that, lol. 2 and half hours of waiting on 2 rearend cleanups back to back i packed up and left. My car was running like dog **** that night anyhow. Ready to hit the track as soon as the MWC fab 9 rearend is installed!!!! Guess it should show up first, 3+ months later it should be here any time, right...... Next week I'm told but I've heard that 3 times.... I dont want to be one of those guys though so I'm waiting for the goods, lol.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:55 AM
10 Second Club

I'm in....my car is still in peices, but i'll be there every friday night til the end of the year. wth or without my car.

Carter
Old 08-29-2012, 04:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 10secondZ
I'm in....my car is still in peices, but i'll be there every friday night til the end of the year. wth or without my car.

Carter

This is all we can do, I'll be there Friday with the white twin turbo chevy 2 wagon.

Quick Reply: Is Orlando Speed World shutting down?!