Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Daytona Beach area member needs help with header install

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Daytona Beach area member needs help with header install

Short-story: I'm looking for someone to help me install headers in the Daytona Beach area.

I have a 2000 camaro Z28 that I bought BBK Long tube headers and ORY. This car is my daily driver so dropping it off at a shop to get them installed is not an option during the week. I just moved here 2 weeks ago so I don't know anyone in the area yet. Looking to make friends with fellow car enthusiasts.

I have looked up tutorials on how to install them on LS1tech, but it looks like it might be something that i could get into and not finish in a weekend without the right tools and know-how.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a mechanical engineer and know LSX cars quite well but I haven't done a header install on a f-body.

I will pay you for your time, we can do the install in my driveway or I can bring the car to you if thats easier. This would have to be done over the weekend due to my work schedule.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 11-29-2012, 09:38 AM
12 Second Club

Where do you live in Daytona?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Launching!

Its really not that hard. I did my first header install on my 98 camaro. Took me a little over 7 hours.
The last install I did (which were the eBay bbk) took about 5 hours. They're the easiest header to install.
If you haven't changed plugs and wires lately now is the time to do it. Everything will be out of the way and will make changing plugs a sinch.
I live in winter haven so one of us would have to drive..
Old 11-30-2012, 08:50 AM
12 Second Club

I'm currently renting a house in Port orange with a stupid-*** steep driveway that my lowered car can't make it up.

I looked at the tutorial stickied and I could probably do it, but I don't want to tear it apart then run into problems and not be able to get to work.

I already bought plugs/wires prepping for this. I also wanted to ditch the AIR/EGR stuff too. Should I buy block off plates for the manifold? (I still have a LS1 intake)

Cooldude: I wouldn't mind driving down there if you could help me out. PM me and maybe we can work something out. I was thinking about going to Bithlo this Sunday for the last test-n-tune before they close.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would offer but I am booked thru March due to holidays and racing season starting. After Bike Week in March....
Old 11-30-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

give Dennis at redline performance a call in port orange he works saturdays and sundays lol 386-299-2228
Old 11-30-2012, 02:21 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=loudblack97z71;16937388]I'm currently renting a house in Port orange with a stupid-*** steep driveway that my lowered car can't make it up.

I looked at the tutorial stickied and I could probably do it, but I don't want to tear it apart then run into problems and not be able to get to work.

I already bought plugs/wires prepping for this. I also wanted to ditch the AIR/EGR stuff too. Should I buy block off plates for the manifold? (I still have a LS1 intake)

Cooldude: I wouldn't mind driving down there if you could help me out. PM me and maybe we can work something out. I was thinking about going to Bithlo this Sunday for the last test-n-tune before they close.[/QUOTE

Sent you a p.m
Shouldn't have to worry about the air system. The bbks don't have the nubs on them.
I'll show you what we used to block off the egr on the intake. Its like $4.00 at auto zone.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:04 PM
12 Second Club

If you still need help, I wouldn't mind helping.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:22 PM
12 Second Club

if we can get a few of us to help you...it could prob be done in a couple hours. Anyone down to help? maybe 2-3 of us?

what are you doing for catback? ALWAYS...ALWAYS...ALWAYS..plan for problems...though about what you might do if the ypipe doenst line up well with the catback? i remember you saying this is your DD. I did crazy expensive QTP long tubes, there y pipe and corsa catback at one time...NOTHING went together well from ypipe to I pipe. Drove it open headers for a few days till i could get to an exhaust shop to fix a few pipes. jsut a thought
Old 12-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 4u 2 nv
if we can get a few of us to help you...it could prob be done in a couple hours. Anyone down to help? maybe 2-3 of us?

what are you doing for catback? ALWAYS...ALWAYS...ALWAYS..plan for problems...though about what you might do if the ypipe doenst line up well with the catback? i remember you saying this is your DD. I did crazy expensive QTP long tubes, there y pipe and corsa catback at one time...NOTHING went together well from ypipe to I pipe. Drove it open headers for a few days till i could get to an exhaust shop to fix a few pipes. jsut a thought
I've installed the bbk's before on my friends camaro.
Went together better than my expensive kooks 1 7/8 I had on my camaro
Everything lined up great and was very painless.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:57 AM
12 Second Club

Right now I have a peiced together dynomax single 3" catback. I wanted to switch over to my flomaster catback that has a cut-out welded in. Worse-case scenario if it doesn't line up, I could drive around with the dynomax muffler dumped til I could have the flowmaster cut & welded in.

Thanks to Cooldude & 4u 2 Nv for the help. I would say plan to meet at my place and work on it, but I doubt my neighbors will appreciate me working on it in the Cul-de-suck. Anybody have a lift or garage they want to donate for this weekend? I'll buy the beer!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:59 PM
12 Second Club

when you find a place and one or two more people to help let me know. Text works best 386-299-842zero
Old 12-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Launching!

More than 2 people just get in the way.
I've done a few installs.
All without a lift. Its a pain but can be done.
Bbks are easy anyway.
They just fit well.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:19 AM
12 Second Club

Cooldude, I plan on heading your direction saturday morning if it doesn't look like its going to rain all day. Let me know what I need to pick-up from Autozone for the EGR block-off and a Hood pin kit. Should I re-use my header bolts? The BBK's came with new gaskets, and I already have o2's with long wires in there. Not sure what else I need.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by loudblack97z71
Cooldude, I plan on heading your direction saturday morning if it doesn't look like its going to rain all day. Let me know what I need to pick-up from Autozone for the EGR block-off and a Hood pin kit. Should I re-use my header bolts? The BBK's came with new gaskets, and I already have o2's with long wires in there. Not sure what else I need.
I'll shoot ya a text
Old 12-05-2012, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

Good luck with the project, make sure to wd 40 the crap out of those header bolts. Wouldn't hurt to hit it a couple times before the install when the car is cool. Would suck to break one unless someone has a mig on hand.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:08 AM
Launching!

I already told him to get some pb blaster. That's what I've always used.
Hit it the night before when its cold, let it sit over night, then hit it again before you start.
*knock on wood* never had a header bolt come close to breaking.

Whenever I put em back in I always dab some antisieze on em to lower the risk of future problems.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:52 AM
TECH Resident

May be a little late, but arp header studs are wonderfull. Well worth the money the first time you have to pull a header. My motor had 100K on it when I did headers and I broke a bolt so quite a few heat cycles there. Shouldn't be as much of an issue with a lower mileage motor, hope all goes smoothly gentlemen.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:46 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the suggestions guys. My motor just turned 75K miles, this was originally a michigan car, but oddly enough it didn't have any rust til I moved to the Florida coast! Damn salt air!

I will soak it in PB tonight & tomorrow before we tackle it saturday.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:28 AM
12 Second Club

where do you live cooldude?

Quick Reply: Daytona Beach area member needs help with header install